Route with costings for Toll roads?

Discussion in 'Continental Touring' started by Teasy2007, Jan 2, 2012.

1. Teasy2007

Teasy2007 Funster

Hi, we are starting to plan our next trip to Spain in February, and wondered if anyone knew of a map which would give the cost of toll roads along the route. I have checked on the French Toll route site and their route planner is good but it only gives the cost of diesel, not the cost of the tolls.

We have always gone via Rouen, Limoge and Toulous but looking on the map Rouen, Clement Ferand, Milau would seem to be quicker and have less toll roads.

Does anyone have any experience of the Milau route?

Ginny

2. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

3. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

The Milau route is much cheaper on tolls. I don't have specifics but I think with a m/h it would be about 100 euros cheaper. Jim's suggested site looks like the best suggestion.

4. Loujess

Loujess Read Only Funster

We are off at the end of Feb too but I was hoping to avoid the toll roads and use the nationals. I really want to go over the Millau Bridge but we haven't really firmed up our route yet. :BigGrin:

Ivy

5. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Probably a triumph of lust over reality.

Whereas go under it and enjoy the lovely town. Stand right under and marvel at the true scale of it. Now that can't fail to please.

• Like Like x 5
  6. Phill D

Phill D

7. Loujess

Lust? LUST? You disgusting boy! Actually, we were hoping to stay at the Aire, or wild camp if it's closed, in Millau, but we shall see what happens.,

Talking about lust, we've been to see The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo at the cinema today. It was a great story but quite brutal in parts. I enjoyed it anyway, but can't see what the fuss is about re Daniel Craig. :BigGrin:

Ivy

8. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Got tickets for Thursday. I've never seen the same book turned into two films in such a timescale. The Swedish one was very good, much simplified from the book, so it will be good to see Hollywood's take on this.

Craig is in everything these days, wouldn't mind his manager's cut. So if we invite him to a meet you don't want first refusal ?

9. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

Millau route (A75) is toll free from Claremont Ferrand onwards, with the exception of the Millau viaduct which should be a round 8€.

we turned off the A75 into Millau for a couple of days, then back out the same way to go over the viaduct.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Loujess

Oh go on then. Can't look a gift horse ..............! :Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

Ivy

11. steveclecy

steveclecy Read Only Funster

Ran south via A75 last year, used the Millau bridge going south and through Millau going north. The descent into Millau on the Route des Cavalieres is, to me, as spectacular as the bridge. Of course you have to climb up again north from Millau but what is a few litres of diesel?

The bridge charges summer rate in July and August only.

Steve

12. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

more like a pony ... :Laughing:

• Like Like x 1
  13. darklord

darklord Read Only Funster

Another vote for viamichelin, we leave on 1 march, we will be going over the Millua, ive been told that early morning, when there is some cloud about, makes for an interesting crossing. Another feather in the cap for british architects:thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  14. veevee

veevee Funster

The A75 Clermont to Millau route isn't just about a toll free autoroute and the Millau bridge. The scenery in the Massif Central seen along the route is unlike any other in France, wonderful.

We travel from Calais to around an hour north of Clermont Ferrand up to 10 times each year, and over the years have honed [HI]our[/HI] preference to the following.

A16 Calais -> Boulogne (fuel at Leclerc before the Peage) -> Amiens -> Beauvais

N31/D1016 -> Senlis

A1 Charles de Gaulle

Francilienne (eastern outer Paris ring road mostly the N104) -> Evry

A6 -> A77 Nevers (A77 has many quiet clean aires and easy fuel stop at Cosne Cours Jct. 23 Auchan supermarket)

N7 -> Moulins

N79 -> either D2009 -> Gannat (A71) or N79 -> Montmarault (A71)

The Aire les Volcans a few kms south of Jct 12 A71 has an excellent first view of the extinct volcanoes. Follow directions for the hotel and drive to the end of the car park in front of the hotel, great quite spot on a clear day.

Then A75 at Clermont south

For us this route has the best combination of reasonable toll costs, ease of driving, lighter traffic, short direct route, and in the last 6 years no problems at all at the aires.

We have tried all the combinations of other routes but can't better this one to the A75. It's helped by for example, more and more of the N7 is becoming motorway quality although free, the A77 is very cheap, great facilities and light traffic etc etc and the Francilienne apart from peak rush hour is very easy.

Hope this helps

• Like Like x 3
  15. peter marshall

peter marshall

Hi Ginny
    We have used the Milau route a couple of times around 12 euros for the bridge well worth it for the trip over it, then free all the way down to near Narbonne, motorway to the border then the cheaper Spanish one's from there, sorry I cant think of costs on the last French one but your not on it to long. Pete :thumb::thumb:

16. veevee

veevee Funster

Absolutely!

... and applause to the French for having the bravery to invest in their future.

• Like Like x 1
  17. slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob Read Only Funster

And a lot cheaper

And going under it is a lot cheaper and these days not as much traffic... Use the national routes and save the money ..not much slower thanthe toll roads.. Cheaper fuel off the toll roads.. More to see and often stop at nice towns enroute.

We due the UK to South of France each year... Have saved a fortune keeping off the toll sections of the French motorways.... Many motorways are not toll roads... Need to check on line, or get a good route map.... Last trip back from the Spanish boarder cst me 3 euros to go through one toll at Clermont-Ferrand.. And I could have avoided it if I wanted to.

But the view from below the bridge is better than fromthe top orthe viewing area ... Google earth is worth looking at to see what I am talking about.

Bob

• Like Like x 1
  18. missbusybusy

missbusybusy Read Only Funster

Hi Bob
    out of interest what route do you take,
    how much do you save in tolls,
    and how much longer in time does it take from the boarder

sorry for so many questiones

regards
    Carol

19. veevee