Roof vent: cold habitation when driving

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Ridgeway, Mar 31, 2013.

1. Ridgeway

Ridgeway Funster

One of our roof vents seems to let in way too much air when we are traveling. Never noticed it before although Friday wa a cold day when we set off. Even having preheated the whole habitation area before setting off, once we got going it was like driving with a window open (-3 outside) and the temp inside got very cold, very quickly.....

In the end we shuved a spare pillow in front of it although it didn't fully seal the drafts. Are our roof vents normal, am I missing something and is there a solution ?

2. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

Unfortunately this isn't unusual as they are often fitted without seals or not fully sealing seals for 'safety'!

I use some think exercise mat type material (or a think camping sleeping mat) cut into strips which I then secure in the gaps that solves the problem, but it's a shame it exists in the first place.

3. Followtheox

Followtheox Read Only Funster

We had the same with our Autotrail Comanche 2011 which we were initially told was due to new regs re venting. It was like a wind around your head while driving. Then we started to get wet while driving and they then replaced the seals and all was well, no drafts and no water ingress.

4. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

some roof lights have ventilation slots even when closed...Heki being one i think.

our first Kontiki had a full length curtain behind the front seats...very easy to fit and really did help keep the cab warmer due to much smaller area.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Ridgeway

Ridgeway Funster

Yes this one closes but doesn't seal, that's its design.

For what safety reason are they like this ? Just so I know before I block it up.....

Thought about an external wind deflector as well, just to reduce the air flow, then some way of covering it in winter and spring. Noticed Fiamma do something for this although not sure how well it seals.

6. pappajohn

I dont think there are any real safety reasons....just to provide full time ventilation even when closed.

heres an expensive option but will allow the vent to be safely fully open when driving.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Camco-40431-RV-Roof-Vent-Cover-White-/310589119669?pt=UK_Campervan_Caravan_Accessories&hash=item48508ddcb5

[​IMG]

7. Ridgeway

Ridgeway Funster

That looks useful to solve the issue, pretty sure that would reduce the draft ingress massively.

More Jenson Button stuff on the van:Laughing:

8. Minxy Girl

9. Rayb182

Rayb182 Funster Life Member

We also put curtains behind the passenger and drivers seat, after about 20 miles have to open them gets too bl##dy hot, cant win

• Like Like x 1
  10. Ridgeway

Ridgeway Funster

In the cab the temp was OK but in the back where the children are it was really cold, end the end they had their coats on....

11. pappajohn

turn the heater down !!!!! :Rofl1:

12. JayDee

JayDee Funster

The vent above the cab in our autosleeper used to make the van very cold and draughty so I cut a piece of 2" thick sponge to size and shoved it in the square hole from underneath - sorted. :thumb:

John

13. bobandjanie

bobandjanie Funster Life Member

14. jaygee

jaygee Funster

Seal on our roof vent only went half way round making for a draught,seems to have been like it from new,i suspect for ventelation/safety??
    All i did was get some door seals off a scrap car and glued in place,job done

15. Daveo2006

Daveo2006 Read Only Funster

I also am looking to stop draughts from the roof lights but will also be removing whilst not in use so as air can circulate around the van.If you dont have good circulation of air you may find mold spores forming in places, namelly under seats and bathroom areas.This is the last thing you want as its very hard to combat once it sets in.

16. ubuntu1

ubuntu1 Read Only Funster

draught

You should never block the vents or change a ventilated one for a non ventilated one. M/H manufacturers have to spend a great deal of money and time ensuring that the ventilation meets UK and European specs because the vehicle uses LPG.

Ventilation is there for a reason.

17. rolandrat

rolandrat Funster

Mine was similar and Auto-Trail modified it, no problems at all now, in fact it's much warmer.

18. Minxy Girl

LPG is heavier than air so the gas goes DOWN not through the roof vents, so it is important to ensure that there is still some venting I agree.:thumb:

19. Minxy Girl

Very true, but in use you tend to open doors etc so it doesn't generally become a problem when you are using it unless you have the heating on a lot which creates lots of condensation. However when you lay it up for a few days or more back at home it is a good idea to remove the 'home made' covers/insulation pads etc to enable the air to circulate once again as you suggest. :BigGrin:

Oh, just a thought, anyone with a GARAGE type motorhome is advised to open the doors to it and let it vent every now and then as they can get quite damp - this area is often neglected when airing the rest of the van.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Daveo2006

Daveo2006 Read Only Funster

Ive been thinking that i might use some try-iso wall which i use on loft conversions,cut to size/shape of roof lights and run the edges through a sewing machine.Its made up of layers of foil and a woolen type material and could sit in above the blinds.