Roof vent: cold habitation when driving (1 Viewer)

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
One of our roof vents seems to let in way too much air when we are traveling. Never noticed it before although Friday wa a cold day when we set off. Even having preheated the whole habitation area before setting off, once we got going it was like driving with a window open (-3 outside) and the temp inside got very cold, very quickly.....

In the end we shuved a spare pillow in front of it although it didn't fully seal the drafts. Are our roof vents normal, am I missing something and is there a solution ?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Unfortunately this isn't unusual as they are often fitted without seals or not fully sealing seals for 'safety'!

I use some think exercise mat type material (or a think camping sleeping mat) cut into strips which I then secure in the gaps that solves the problem, but it's a shame it exists in the first place.

Followtheox

Free Member
Jul 26, 2011
banbury
Funster No
MH
Coach built Autotrail
Exp
2 years
One of our roof vents seems to let in way too much air when we are traveling. Never noticed it before although Friday wa a cold day when we set off. Even having preheated the whole habitation area before setting off, once we got going it was like driving with a window open (-3 outside) and the temp inside got very cold, very quickly.....

In the end we shuved a spare pillow in front of it although it didn't fully seal the drafts. Are our roof vents normal, am I missing something and is there a solution ?

We had the same with our Autotrail Comanche 2011 which we were initially told was due to new regs re venting. It was like a wind around your head while driving. Then we started to get wet while driving and they then replaced the seals and all was well, no drafts and no water ingress.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
some roof lights have ventilation slots even when closed...Heki being one i think.

our first Kontiki had a full length curtain behind the front seats...very easy to fit and really did help keep the cab warmer due to much smaller area.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ridgeway

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Yes this one closes but doesn't seal, that's its design.

For what safety reason are they like this ? Just so I know before I block it up.....

Thought about an external wind deflector as well, just to reduce the air flow, then some way of covering it in winter and spring. Noticed Fiamma do something for this although not sure how well it seals.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Yes this one closes but doesn't seal, that's its design.

For what safety reason are they like this ? Just so I know before I block it up.....

Thought about an external wind deflector as well, just to reduce the air flow, then some way of covering it in winter and spring. Noticed Fiamma do something for this although not sure how well it seals.
I dont think there are any real safety reasons....just to provide full time ventilation even when closed.

heres an expensive option but will allow the vent to be safely fully open when driving.

Link Removed

$(KGrHqF,!lUFEHK!SQFWBREgbTsBlg~~60_12.JPG

OP
OP
Ridgeway

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
That looks useful to solve the issue, pretty sure that would reduce the draft ingress massively.

More Jenson Button stuff on the van:roflmto:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
No need to go to that extent, make some covers for the roof vents - see item 6. on my thread below:

Broken Link Removed

Rayb182

Funster
Deceased RIP
Nov 13, 2009
Great Bentley
Funster No
MH
Sundance 590 PR
Exp
Since 1999
some roof lights have ventilation slots even when closed...Heki being one i think.

our first Kontiki had a full length curtain behind the front seats...very easy to fit and really did help keep the cab warmer due to much smaller area.

We also put curtains behind the passenger and drivers seat, after about 20 miles have to open them gets too bl##dy hot, cant win

OP
OP
Ridgeway

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
In the cab the temp was OK but in the back where the children are it was really cold, end the end they had their coats on....

JayDee

Free Member
Oct 7, 2007
N. Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years after 5 years with caravan.
The vent above the cab in our autosleeper used to make the van very cold and draughty so I cut a piece of 2" thick sponge to size and shoved it in the square hole from underneath - sorted. :thumb:

John

Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
Seal on our roof vent only went half way round making for a draught,seems to have been like it from new,i suspect for ventelation/safety??
All i did was get some door seals off a scrap car and glued in place,job done

Daveo2006

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Apache 700
Exp
3 years
I also am looking to stop draughts from the roof lights but will also be removing whilst not in use so as air can circulate around the van.If you dont have good circulation of air you may find mold spores forming in places, namelly under seats and bathroom areas.This is the last thing you want as its very hard to combat once it sets in.

ubuntu1

Free Member
Feb 13, 2008
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2006
draught

You should never block the vents or change a ventilated one for a non ventilated one. M/H manufacturers have to spend a great deal of money and time ensuring that the ventilation meets UK and European specs because the vehicle uses LPG.

Ventilation is there for a reason.

rolandrat

Free Member
Jan 5, 2013
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
We had the same with our Autotrail Comanche 2011 which we were initially told was due to new regs re venting. It was like a wind around your head while driving. Then we started to get wet while driving and they then replaced the seals and all was well, no drafts and no water ingress.
Mine was similar and Auto-Trail modified it, no problems at all now, in fact it's much warmer.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
You should never block the vents or change a ventilated one for a non ventilated one. M/H manufacturers have to spend a great deal of money and time ensuring that the ventilation meets UK and European specs because the vehicle uses LPG.

LPG is heavier than air so the gas goes DOWN not through the roof vents, so it is important to ensure that there is still some venting I agree.:thumb:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I also am looking to stop draughts from the roof lights but will also be removing whilst not in use so as air can circulate around the van.If you dont have good circulation of air you may find mold spores forming in places, namelly under seats and bathroom areas.This is the last thing you want as its very hard to combat once it sets in.

Very true, but in use you tend to open doors etc so it doesn't generally become a problem when you are using it unless you have the heating on a lot which creates lots of condensation. However when you lay it up for a few days or more back at home it is a good idea to remove the 'home made' covers/insulation pads etc to enable the air to circulate once again as you suggest. ::bigsmile:

Oh, just a thought, anyone with a GARAGE type motorhome is advised to open the doors to it and let it vent every now and then as they can get quite damp - this area is often neglected when airing the rest of the van.

Daveo2006

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Apache 700
Exp
3 years
Ive been thinking that i might use some try-iso wall which i use on loft conversions,cut to size/shape of roof lights and run the edges through a sewing machine.Its made up of layers of foil and a woolen type material and could sit in above the blinds.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Ive been thinking that i might use some try-iso wall which i use on loft conversions,cut to size/shape of roof lights and run the edges through a sewing machine.Its made up of layers of foil and a woolen type material and could sit in above the blinds.

Just remember that whatever you make you will have to store it when it's not in place on the roof vents for make sure you've got somewhere to put it.

OP
OP
Ridgeway

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
I had a good look at the units today, all are MPK brand and look well made but as said have the annoying habit of freezing to death the people in the habitation area when travelling.

I take the point about ventilation, this seems reasonable however having a habitation area that shows 10 degrees with young children in also needs consideration.

As the gas is off when travelling I'd ideally need to find a solution that cuts out the drafts during transit and then when stationary (gas on) allows the required ventilation, the foam idea seems about the best but you have to make sure that you remember to take it out !

Will give this some more thought.

Daveo2006

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Apache 700
Exp
3 years
I had a good look at the units today, all are MPK brand and look well made but as said have the annoying habit of freezing to death the people in the habitation area when travelling.

I take the point about ventilation, this seems reasonable however having a habitation area that shows 10 degrees with young children in also needs consideration.

As the gas is off when travelling I'd ideally need to find a solution that cuts out the drafts during transit and then when stationary (gas on) allows the required ventilation, the foam idea seems about the best but you have to make sure that you remember to take it out !

Will give this some more thought.

i have just learnt you can have gas fire on whilst driving with one of these Truma 'Drifesafe' regulator for en-route operation

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp

Hi, considering the windows have permanent venterlation, the cooker hob extractor has permanent venterlation, and all the drop vents in the floor I cant see a problem.

Very pleased with the Heki we fitted, you can leave them open a bit if you want, and when open full let a lot more heat out than the ones that we took out.

:Smile: Bob.

Paulb1010

Free Member
Apr 3, 2013
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Swift Sundance 636l
Exp
I'm a newbie
Roof vent draught

We are newbies with a new Sundance 636L collected 1 week ago.

The draught when sitting at the rear dinette from the roof vent is unbearable! We needed to drive everywhere with the gas heater at full blast (in the rear) to just take the chill off - our 8 yr old was not a happy bunny.

Spoken to the dealer - who say they will take this up with Swift.

On another matter, does anyone know if we can take the van to any authorised dealer for warranty claims.

Thanks

OP
OP
Ridgeway

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Off to the DIY shop tomorrow to get some thick foam that I'm going to cut to fit in place. Then on the way back to collect one of these safety gas valves so that we can use the gas when on the go.

OP
OP
Ridgeway

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Are these effective ? I looked at them but thought that air would still pass through the side vents.

Effective on mine (Turbovent) but may not be on yours depending on where your side vents are. If they're on the bottom of the frame this will block them off but not if they are one the side edges.

OP
OP
Ridgeway

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Effective on mine (Turbovent) but may not be on yours depending on where your side vents are. If they're on the bottom of the frame this will block them off but not if they are one the side edges.

Yep all the way round on 4 sides:Sad:

Do they velcro on ?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back