Aug

Rally Retro Festival Newbury August 2023 (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Had a lovely weekend thanks to Adi, Cassie and Rob who despite the minority of morons did the rest of us really proud.
Cheers guys and gal
I’m not wanting to get into any further discussions, but I think that’s a bit harsh.

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
Just arrived home after a great weekend. Our thanks to Rob, Kannon Fodda for his sterling work at very short notice and of course to adi4 and his wife for organising the weekend and inviting us to join their RV group space. Just so upsetting that their weekend was spoiled by a few (or perhaps more than a few) selfish people who can’t be bothered to read the information, break the rules and make unreasonable demands. I have never been to the show before but understood perfectly what was on offer and what was expected of me.
Anyway, Judy and I and our two granddaughters had a great time and hope we can come again.

Sep 28, 2015
Farnham, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu 640
Well done Rob, great job, not sure where the caravans came from ? On a Motorhome fun rally
We have family members with a caravan that come on Fun rallies. Jim said they could join. Also some people have changed to a caravan from a motorhome so are allowed to stay members.

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
How can that be harsh when the organisers ended up being so upset and angry with some of the behavior that went on!
An obsolete term for a person with moderate mental retardation; also, an abusive term for a person of low intelligence.

My last post on this thread.

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
So after a few hours reflection, and reviewing many of the comments made in this thread, it's awkward to write some of this, but I feel it does need to be said.

As many will know I was a very late stand in marshal, having never previously attended Retrofest, so in many respects was finding stuff out as it went on. Simply dealing with 60+ vehicles on the Fun field by my self was hard work. If I lost a sense of humour after a 12 hour (without break) on Thursday and a similar on call period on Friday, when I could not escape the rally field area, perhaps that can be understood?

The Fun rally area at Retrofest is within the main showground area itself, unlike general camping that is outside of the main perimeter. Fun was camping as a concessional area to the RVOC club. They along the main field were considered part of the exhibits and thus have a more prominent position.

Fun were simply getting cheaper camping (than general camping), in an excellent located spot. There were complaints the grass hadn't been cut (posts above show in some years it has been even longer). A couple of ralliers appeared quite appalled. However my experience of many other rally fields, where the grass has been recently cut, is that people then complain that the cuttings get trampled into the van. You can't win. Besides it's clear the area we were allocated can be used as a paddock for livestock, so why would they cut grass to the standards of CMC type facilities?.

Being on the showground there are restrictions that may not apply to general camping. That included no generators (which may seem silly given the M4 proximity), and no vehicle movements during show opening hours. Fun didn't make up the rules, nor did RVOC. They were all accepted by anyone buying their ticket. I see no reason why they needed to be broken, and make no apologies that they were enforced. That there were too many reminders of the rules made it hard work, and unnecessary, and no doubt affected my attitude to some, and indeed the attitude of Adi, RVOC and even the show organisers to us. That there were transgressions eventually needing security intervention was unacceptable, and brought motorhome fun into disrepute.

The lack of Electric Hook Up resulted in far to many, ongoing, adverse comments. Simples, pay attention to what you are actually buying. It was clear there would be no EHU on the fun field this year, but too many simply expected it, to the extent of entitlement, based on their previous years. I get some were unprepared, had vans that the batteries failed, didn't have gas, couldn't recharge mobility scooters, didn't have power to operate something, or were simply nervous that they could last out. But that is what you purchased. Please accept it and don't bang on and on with your complaints every time I walked past your van, or ask if you can turn your generator on (or even worse turn it on despite being told no).

Yes there were a number of caravans in our area. There was also a tent. We had vans and motorhomes of all sizes and a fifth wheeler. Almost all had purchased their tickets through the motorhome fun subscriber links, and were thus reasonably there as part of the Fun rally field. A couple are now known to have had their ticket bought by a motorhome fun friend, or family member, through the fun site, but invariably those people were not briefed on the camping rules for the fun area, or even the situation on electric, causing problems. We did have a couple of large oversized units sent over to us from the general camping by the organisers. There were also a couple of imposters, who got past the main entrance gate security (who had been overwhelmed on Thursday, which also created the added headache of wristband issue), who were eventually sussed out and left of their own accord in the early hours of Sunday.

As for general friendliness and ability to meet up, I know that many did speak to me, and not just when I was parking up. I think most would acknowledge those who passed by their van. Yes a few vans do enclose themselves with windbreaks and stuff, that is often to contain pets, and also to stop bbq type cookers blowing out. The at times rainy weather also meant some looked for added shelter.

So there was no tea tent or other Fun focal point or meet up. Even this year at the Warners type shows the tea tent is in the main exhibition area, rather than the rally field. For Retrofest, as one person, late to the party, I was never going to have time to set anything up, but I suspect the intended marshals would not have done so either. Again due to the lack of notice, I didn't have any spare fun stickers or other stuff. Retrofest is specific that with three stages all working from lunchtime through to late evening, plus the other stuff in the showground it's expected that most will be in the show, so why would we also try and provide activities? Indeed generally you all were, as mostly the Fun field was quiet and empty afternoons and evenings.

To the many who said thanks for my efforts over the weekend, a thankyou from me for your appreciation of what proved to be a challenging experience. I must extend my own thanks to adi4 and Cassie, together with the other RVOC stewards for their forbearance.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Thanks to Rob Kannon Fodda , Adi adi4 and Cassie, great weekend as always.
We have been going to the Retro for many years first time I've managed to meet Adi as he is always flying about sorting out problems.

The grief they had to put up with is just not on, they had enough to put up with without having to deal with idiots who can't be bothered to read the terms of they booking or abide my them.
I don't understand how anyone can go to a rally in a Euro van and expect EHU, even the poorest equiped van can survive a few days without EHU.

A few years ago when Bill was running it he decided that everyone would have EHU as it was causing him grief trying to keep everyone happy.
I didn't want EHU or want to pay for it but those were the terms if you wanted to attend so I accepted it.

Looking forward to many more Retro's with proper Funsters.

Sorry if I didn't say hello to many Funsters but festivals
don't work very well for that, to much to see & do also lack of Fun badges in vans with Funsters names on them doesn't help.

Last edited:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
This thread needs a laugh.

Prize for idiot of the weekend must go to the caravan pitched towards top left hand side of the Fun field, I fail to see how he could be Fun member with his actions.

He bought a couple of flexable solar panels at the show, he put them on the roof of the caravan to charge his batteries.
Now this is the fun bit, they kept flapping up in the wind so what does he do.
He weighed them down with several containers on top of them. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Apr 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
abcabcabc

Prize for idiot of the weekend must go to the caravan pitched towards top left hand side of the Fun field, I fail to see how he could be Fun member with his actions.

He bought a couple of flexable solar panels at the show, he put them on the roof of the caravan to charge his batteries.
He weighed them down with several containers on top of them. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

They were toilet fluid containers, seemed to work well :rofl:

Already have a permanent solar panel on the van but wanted a bit extra so was testing out adding 2 extra flexible panels that I had spare. Didnt expect it to be so windy but they worked well, produced over 5kwh of power while at the show. 🙂

Screenshot_20230814_235833_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
adi4
Feb 23, 2020
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class Pusher
Exp
since 2009
So after a few hours reflection, and reviewing many of the comments made in this thread, it's awkward to write some of this, but I feel it does need to be said.

As many will know I was a very late stand in marshal, having never previously attended Retrofest, so in many respects was finding stuff out as it went on. Simply dealing with 60+ vehicles on the Fun field by my self was hard work. If I lost a sense of humour after a 12 hour (without break) on Thursday and a similar on call period on Friday, when I could not escape the rally field area, perhaps that can be understood?

The Fun rally area at Retrofest is within the main showground area itself, unlike general camping that is outside of the main perimeter. Fun was camping as a concessional area to the RVOC club. They along the main field were considered part of the exhibits and thus have a more prominent position.

Fun were simply getting cheaper camping (than general camping), in an excellent located spot. There were complaints the grass hadn't been cut (posts above show in some years it has been even longer). A couple of ralliers appeared quite appalled. However my experience of many other rally fields, where the grass has been recently cut, is that people then complain that the cuttings get trampled into the van. You can't win. Besides it's clear the area we were allocated can be used as a paddock for livestock, so why would they cut grass to the standards of CMC type facilities?.

Being on the showground there are restrictions that may not apply to general camping. That included no generators (which may seem silly given the M4 proximity), and no vehicle movements during show opening hours. Fun didn't make up the rules, nor did RVOC. They were all accepted by anyone buying their ticket. I see no reason why they needed to be broken, and make no apologies that they were enforced. That there were too many reminders of the rules made it hard work, and unnecessary, and no doubt affected my attitude to some, and indeed the attitude of Adi, RVOC and even the show organisers to us. That there were transgressions eventually needing security intervention was unacceptable, and brought motorhome fun into disrepute.

The lack of Electric Hook Up resulted in far to many, ongoing, adverse comments. Simples, pay attention to what you are actually buying. It was clear there would be no EHU on the fun field this year, but too many simply expected it, to the extent of entitlement, based on their previous years. I get some were unprepared, had vans that the batteries failed, didn't have gas, couldn't recharge mobility scooters, didn't have power to operate something, or were simply nervous that they could last out. But that is what you purchased. Please accept it and don't bang on and on with your complaints every time I walked past your van, or ask if you can turn your generator on (or even worse turn it on despite being told no).

Yes there were a number of caravans in our area. There was also a tent. We had vans and motorhomes of all sizes and a fifth wheeler. Almost all had purchased their tickets through the motorhome fun subscriber links, and were thus reasonably there as part of the Fun rally field. A couple are now known to have had their ticket bought by a motorhome fun friend, or family member, through the fun site, but invariably those people were not briefed on the camping rules for the fun area, or even the situation on electric, causing problems. We did have a couple of large oversized units sent over to us from the general camping by the organisers. There were also a couple of imposters, who got past the main entrance gate security (who had been overwhelmed on Thursday, which also created the added headache of wristband issue), who were eventually sussed out and left of their own accord in the early hours of Sunday.

As for general friendliness and ability to meet up, I know that many did speak to me, and not just when I was parking up. I think most would acknowledge those who passed by their van. Yes a few vans do enclose themselves with windbreaks and stuff, that is often to contain pets, and also to stop bbq type cookers blowing out. The at times rainy weather also meant some looked for added shelter.

So there was no tea tent or other Fun focal point or meet up. Even this year at the Warners type shows the tea tent is in the main exhibition area, rather than the rally field. For Retrofest, as one person, late to the party, I was never going to have time to set anything up, but I suspect the intended marshals would not have done so either. Again due to the lack of notice, I didn't have any spare fun stickers or other stuff. Retrofest is specific that with three stages all working from lunchtime through to late evening, plus the other stuff in the showground it's expected that most will be in the show, so why would we also try and provide activities? Indeed generally you all were, as mostly the Fun field was quiet and empty afternoons and evenings.

To the many who said thanks for my efforts over the weekend, a thankyou from me for your appreciation of what proved to be a challenging experience. I must extend my own thanks to adi4 and Cassie, together with the other RVOC stewards for their forbearance.

This was the tea tent and the communal area

IMG_20230811_172454_1.jpg

Dec 31, 2010
Sunny South Shields
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin i7900
Exp
Since 2010

Not like you Lenny I thought you would have given the funster DanWithTheVan a bit advice instead of laughing at him 😉

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
They were toilet fluid containers, seemed to work well :rofl:

Already have a permanent solar panel on the van but wanted a bit extra so was testing out adding 2 extra flexible panels that I had spare. Didnt expect it to be so windy but they worked well, produced over 5kwh of power while at the show. 🙂

View attachment 795150
Brave man owning up to that. :LOL:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Well me and misses are enjoying it, very impressed with four different locations to listen music / bands and easy to keep going round in a type of circuit for variety, only downside is my wife loves dancing and I can’t so look a right prat trying 🤣.
I’m fretting Dance lessons tomorrow 😬
Also Thanks to rob for helpfulness and doing a great job 👏
You should have found me I would have danced with her. :giggle:
Only 3 dance venues you must have been on a liquid lunch & seeing double.:rofl:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Not like you Lenny I thought you would have given the funster DanWithTheVan a bit advice instead of laughing at him 😉
I was in a friend's van at the time & it was peeing down. Didn't know who it was and being a caravan didn't know it was a well known member If I had noticed a big Funster name on his van I would have probably gone over. I don't offer advice to strangers as last time I did it I just got abuse.
Dave appears to have taken it as a bit of fun so no harm done.

Apr 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
abcabcabc
I was in a friend's van at the time & it was peeing down. Didn't know who it was and being a caravan didn't know it was a well known member If I had noticed a big Funster name on his van I would have probably gone over. I don't offer advice to strangers as last time I did it I just got abuse.
Dave appears to have taken it as a bit of fun so no harm done.
Yeah, no worries Lenny 🙂 I assure you the rest of the setup isn't as makeshift. It was just for a bit of extra power as try to make use of electric as much as possible (electric hob, air fryer, microwave and kettle etc). Worked out well, never ran out of power. 🔋

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
yes you get chancers in every walk of life but if rallies become invite only it's not the inclusive club I thought it was.
I don't think you appreciate the gravity of the situation Dave. It comes down to we only have people we can trust to behave at the Retro or we don't get invited back.

On a similar vane we were talking to one of the Apple Tree marshals at Stratford, my wife mentioned how nice it was to be able to attend the races. He told us it is the first time Fun has been allowed back on a race day for a few years due to a couple of Fun Members trying to barge their way into the VIP Members Lounge.

Not only is fun a forum it's also a club these days and we can do without members like that, other clubs wouldn't put up with it.

Dec 31, 2010
Sunny South Shields
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin i7900
Exp
Since 2010
On a similar vane we were talking to one of the Apple Tree marshals at Stratford, my wife mentioned how nice it was to be able to attend the races. He told us it is the first time Fun has been allowed back on a race day for a few years due to a couple of Fun Members trying to barge their way into the VIP Members Lounge.
You won't have that problem next year as you will already be in the VIP members lounge 😉🥱

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Meant to mention earlier, I was a bit disappointed that very few members in the Fun area made any effort to dress up for the occasion.
Surely if you are going to a Retro/Vintage event you would make the effort.

Sep 28, 2019
Newbury, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson 767 GA
Exp
Since 2018
Meant to mention earlier, I was a bit disappointed that very few members in the Fun area made any effort to dress up for the occasion.
Personally we didn’t attend but had we, we probably wouldn’t have gone to the expense of buying/hiring the gear to wear. We would have taken pleasure at admiring others who dress up and who probably attend these type of events frequently.

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
I went to Retro as a first timer. It wasn’t for me but I was respectful of marshalls, neighbours, etc.

I enjoyed looking at the caravans, cars, and vintage memorabilia stalls.

However I’ve never known so many people be disappointed in me as a Funster on a rally.

The Retro is a popular rally for many, but please allow us Funsters that didn’t dress up or dance, but did pay our money to enjoy it the way we want to.

Our place can go to a more worthy Funster attendee next year. End of.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back