Aug

Rally Retro Festival Newbury August 2023 (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 31, 2010
Sunny South Shields
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin i7900
Exp
Since 2010
It’s a difficult situation but it’s clear that Retrofest attracts some chancers who have only joined up to get on the show ground and receive the MHF discount . This situation has been going on for a few years. This year the post was put on a members only link but it appears yet again the marshal teams have had to put up with unnecessary stress and grief . Regular forum members who we know, don’t generally act like children at rallies and be abusive and rude to marshals , because it’s obvious they won’t be invited back .I believe this event should be invite only because that appears to be the only way to keep out people who seem intent on causing problems . 👍
There have been invite only Rallies arranged before on MHF 👍
I always thought MHF was a all inclusive place I know plenty of people who have joined fun and never post or get involved with the forum but attend more rallies/ events than me and you put together as it's a cheap and good way to meet people who are like minded, yes you get chancers in every walk of life but if rallies become invite only it's not the inclusive club I thought it was.

Swifter

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2020
Herefordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2019
Fair enough Dave . I am out buddy . It’s not worth the grief .I have other problems to worry about .
I won’t be commenting again .

Jul 27, 2013
Wilts/Oxon border
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since childhood!
Thanks. It's been great so far, again.

We're keen to become more involved in the group, but being that we both have our own businesses and our son is still in education, we're always busy.

We've spoken to a few people this weekend which has been nice, and also had a few people completely ignore me as I've said hello as we've passed, which isn't the best...
Last year's Retrofest Newbury was the first and only MHF rally I've attended. My experience was that if I'd not gone actively walking around the MHF area stopping and speaking to people myself, the only people who would've spoken to me apart from the marshall when I arrived were friends who came to look for me from elsewhere on the show ground. Like St3v3 some ignored me even when I was right by their vans, but that's the way of rallies and like him, it didn't especially bother me. If I'd been a bit more shy I could easily have spent the whole w/e without speaking to anyone but the marshalls.

Those who I spoke to and who replied were lovely, and I had the chance to have a little nosy inside some lovely MHs. I did go to the MHF meet-up for coffee and biccies alongside the huge RV. It was an education getting a peak inside. (Also a relief from the baking temperatures!)

Maybe some who saw my van thought that I was a 'hanger on' to MHF, or a van newbie, because they didn't recognise me as a regular MHF rally attendee... Both are not the case, but it might've been nice to be welcomed rather than largely ignored.

My experience of MHF has been that people have been more warm online than in person. My first experience of meeting Funsters in person was when I was totally blanked when I went to a Warners event and came to the MHF tent to say hello. I like to think that it was an unfortunate rarity that I was only spoken to at all in an extremely grudging way initially and then totally and pointedly ignored. No-one asked a single 'what do you think of MHF? How long have you been a member? Are you a subscriber? What van do you have? How long have you been a MH-er?' or any other similar type of question of the type like-minded folk ask when they meet. It was very discouraging and one of the reasons I never went to any rally until RF Newbury.

So far as EHU goes, it was said as early as LAST YEAR AT THE EVENT that there wouldn't be EHU this year because of the increasing costs and the complexity/logistics of laying it on. It has also been very obvious and pointed out multiple times that this was a 'no gennie' event. There is absolutely no excuse for being obnoxious to marshalls or the event team and perhaps such folk should be banned from the MHF area at future events. I'd like to think that the culprits would've calmed down and gone to apologise. If not, they cannot be surprised if actions have consequences.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Tripped over me own guy rope and landed flat on me face in wet grass.

I hope you’re not moaning the grass was wet 😉😂

Ya dirty stop out, should have been tucked up in bed hours ago at you’re age 😉😂😂

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
OP
OP
adi4
Feb 23, 2020
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class Pusher
Exp
since 2009
The other thing is the 7m limit in general camping.
Hi Steve.
General camping is an 8 meter limit, and this year we only had 2 vehicles sent over from general camping, one euro and one RV .
The RV has since joined the RVOC, and neither have been anything other than polite and happy people 👍
I'll come over and have a chat at some point today.

Adi

Jan 22, 2017
Bristol
Funster No
MH
DAF LF Conversion
Exp
Since 2013
Hi Steve.
General camping is an 8 meter limit, and this year we only had 2 vehicles sent over from general camping, one euro and one RV .
The RV has since joined the RVOC, and neither have been anything other than polite and happy people 👍
I'll come over and have a chat at some point today.

Adi

I'm just going on what the website says. Seems like - as they always seem to be with everything - the retro staff are being sensible about it and only picking up really big vehicles. Really nice you could accommodate them. I'll get the kettle/beer ready! Cheers.

Screenshot_20230813_085951_Samsung Internet.jpg

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Last year's Retrofest Newbury was the first and only MHF rally I've attended. My experience was that if I'd not gone actively walking around the MHF area stopping and speaking to people myself, the only people who would've spoken to me apart from the marshall when I arrived were friends who came to look for me from elsewhere on the show ground. Like St3v3 some ignored me even when I was right by their vans, but that's the way of rallies and like him, it didn't especially bother me. If I'd been a bit more shy I could easily have spent the whole w/e without speaking to anyone but the marshalls.

Those who I spoke to and who replied were lovely, and I had the chance to have a little nosy inside some lovely MHs. I did go to the MHF meet-up for coffee and biccies alongside the huge RV. It was an education getting a peak inside. (Also a relief from the baking temperatures!)

Maybe some who saw my van thought that I was a 'hanger on' to MHF, or a van newbie, because they didn't recognise me as a regular MHF rally attendee... Both are not the case, but it might've been nice to be welcomed rather than largely ignored.

My experience of MHF has been that people have been more warm online than in person. My first experience of meeting Funsters in person was when I was totally blanked when I went to a Warners event and came to the MHF tent to say hello. I like to think that it was an unfortunate rarity that I was only spoken to at all in an extremely grudging way initially and then totally and pointedly ignored. No-one asked a single 'what do you think of MHF? How long have you been a member? Are you a subscriber? What van do you have? How long have you been a MH-er?' or any other similar type of question of the type like-minded folk ask when they meet. It was very discouraging and one of the reasons I never went to any rally until RF Newbury.

So far as EHU goes, it was said as early as LAST YEAR AT THE EVENT that there wouldn't be EHU this year because of the increasing costs and the complexity/logistics of laying it on. It has also been very obvious and pointed out multiple times that this was a 'no gennie' event. There is absolutely no excuse for being obnoxious to marshalls or the event team and perhaps such folk should be banned from the MHF area at future events. I'd like to think that the culprits would've calmed down and gone to apologise. If not, they cannot be surprised if actions have consequences.

Mr Tonks if you happen to see me at a rally feel free to come and have a natter.
If you want to lower you’re standards to mine 😂

If you don’t mind a bit of a laugh or pee taking and giving/banter 👍😊

I’m not sure if some funsters are shy or just don’t want to mix with people they don’t know 🤷‍♂️
Everyone one is different though 😊

OP
OP
adi4
Feb 23, 2020
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class Pusher
Exp
since 2009
I'm just going on what the website says. Seems like - as they always seem to be with everything - the retro staff are being sensible about it and only picking up really big vehicles. Really nice you could accommodate them. I'll get the kettle/beer ready! Cheers.

View attachment 794296
Lol that's in the t& C's that is a little bit out of date.
Up until last year it has been 7.5M and for this year it was raised to 8M.

It said 8M on the ticketing system, but you can't see that now as it is now closed 👍

Adi

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Last year's Retrofest Newbury was the first and only MHF rally I've attended. My experience was that if I'd not gone actively walking around the MHF area stopping and speaking to people myself, the only people who would've spoken to me apart from the marshall
The Retro is a bit different as there is so much going on difficult to find time to wander around the camping even worse for me this year as we have daughter and grandkids with us.

Must admit this time when I've had a bit of a wander round but noticed hardly any forum names displayed on vans. If I see a name I reckonise in true Funster style I'll knock on the door and scrounge a beer. :giggle:

I normally find that because I'm well known on the forum people come and find me, Im always willing to have a chat.

Are you in the little red van on the left side of the field (last row before the fence)?
I'm quite happy to come over and drink your booze until 2am like I did in another Funsters van last night. :rofl:

We don't do many rallies they always clash with something else. Nearly all the Funsters we have met has been on our travels in France, Germany, Spain Portugal etc.
The classic has to be Barry namwaldog, there I am standing outside my van on a wild spot in Spain and this van draws up winds down the window and shouts loud enough for the whole town to hear LENNY HB, always makes me chuckle when I remember that.

I'm rambling now better shut up.

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2021
Lincolnshire Wolds AONB, United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Sunlight Cliff 540
Exp
Since 2008

This post mirrors my experience at RF Newbury last year EXACTLY, and it's weird that as I read it, I was nodding more and more in agreement. Apart from the nice lady who welcomed me upon arrival and gave me a MHF sticker, and Jim who worked hard to ensure everyone got their EHU sorted, I too tried to engage with people but was met, in the main, with being ignored.
I visited friends for dinner in Newbury on the Saturday evening, and when I returned at about 11pm, there was a loud group of people from 3-4 different vans at the far end of the field congregated outside one of them clearly having a party (no problem at all in that,) but it was at least 12:30 before the noise, particularly from one very vocal woman, calmed down. I think her volume switch was hardwired to 11 (apologies to Spinal Tap..)
Was I a 'chancer' taking advantage of the attractive ticket price? No, I was a Newbie MHF member attending what I intended to be the first of perhaps many rallies, but it remains, (and will remain) as my one and only MHF rally after my experiences and observations. The MHF sticker btw, has never, and will never be displayed in my van. Excellent forum for technical tips etc. (I've even contributed a few myself,) but rallies? No thanks.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
This post mirrors my experience at RF Newbury last year EXACTLY, and it's weird that as I read it, I was nodding more and more in agreement. Apart from the nice lady who welcomed me upon arrival and gave me a MHF sticker, and Jim who worked hard to ensure everyone got their EHU sorted, I too tried to engage with people but was met, in the main, with being ignored.
I visited friends for dinner in Newbury on the Saturday evening, and when I returned at about 11pm, there was a loud group of people from 3-4 different vans at the far end of the field congregated outside one of them clearly having a party (no problem at all in that,) but it was at least 12:30 before the noise, particularly from one very vocal woman, calmed down. I think her volume switch was hardwired to 11 (apologies to Spinal Tap..)
Was I a 'chancer' taking advantage of the attractive ticket price? No, I was a Newbie MHF member attending what I intended to be the first of perhaps many rallies, but it remains, (and will remain) as my one and only MHF rally after my experiences and observations. The MHF sticker btw, has never, and will never be displayed in my van. Excellent forum for technical tips etc. (I've even contributed a few myself,) but rallies? No thanks.
A normally rally is totally different and hopefully the Retro will be more like a normal rally next year.
This year the people behind us and to the side of us I've never seen them before but have got quite friendly with them.
You can't expect everyone to come chat to you it's not in a lot of people's nature you have to make the effort to.

Last edited:

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
I always thought MHF was a all inclusive place I know plenty of people who have joined fun and never post or get involved with the forum but attend more rallies/ events than me and you put together as it's a cheap and good way to meet people who are like minded, yes you get chancers in every walk of life but if rallies become invite only it's not the inclusive club I thought it was.
We chatted to two lovely couples who told us they are Funsters, but never go on the forum. They use Fun for rallies like this. That’s their choice.

We were parked with caravans all around us, so we weren’t sure who were Funsters, but we said hello to all as we passed them.

The show although very big, but with a lovely vibe wasn’t for us, so with the bad weather showing no signs of letting up we left on Saturday night.

The grass was long, which I thought was odd, as the rest of the massive site was cut short, and the road noise was so loud that it would have easily drowned out any genny noise in our area.

I wondered how the caravans with no solar etc would last for the duration of the festival without a genny if electricity isn’t provided though? Surely if electricity isn’t provided you should be able to use whatever means necessary to cover the time you’re there, as long as it’s during a prescribed time? At a rally like this most people aren’t even in the Fun area during the day, they’re in the showground.

Just my observations, so no brickbats please!

Jan 16, 2014
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Rapido 854f
Exp
Since 2012
Got to say we have never seen so many caravans on a meet nevermind tents .The bloke next to us had his genny on all afternoon .It does need a dose of looking at .Rob was like Red Adere .

The Retro is a bit different as there is so much going on difficult to find time to wander around the camping even worse for me this year as we have daughter and grandkids with us.

Must admit this time when I've had a bit of a wander round but noticed hardly any forum names displayed on vans. If I see a name I reckonise in true Funster style I'll knock on the door and scrounge a beer. :giggle:

I normally find that because I'm well known on the forum people come and find me, Im always willing to have a chat.

Are you in the little red van on the left side of the field (last row before the fence)?
I'm quite happy to come over and drink your booze until 2am like I did in another Funsters van last night. :rofl:

We don't do many rallies they always clash with something else. Nearly all the Funsters we have met has been on our travels in France, Germany, Spain Portugal etc.
The classic has to be Barry namwaldog, there I am standing outside my van on a wild spot in Spain and this draws up winds down the window and shouts loud enough for the whole town to here LENNY HB, always makes me chuckle when I remember that.

I'm rambling now better shut up.
Ha ha that's us. Been pushing the old vw into action for the last 23 months while we await the new motorhome but actually got to see it on the way here on Thursday and picking up on 1st Sept.Alas Hobgoblin, Guinness and The Guvnor supplies seriously depleted but certainly next time! I'm also going to be bringing beers for Rob.Both he and Adi should get Man of The Match awards!

Jul 27, 2013
Wilts/Oxon border
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since childhood!
A normally rally is totally different and hopefully the Retro will be more like a normal rally next year.
This year the people behind us and to the side of us I've never seen them before but have got quite friendly with they.
You can't expect everyone to come chat to you it's not in a lot of people's nature you have to make the effort to.
I think if you re-read our posts you will find that neither WoldsSunlight or myself said that we expected everyone to come to chat to us, and both of us specifically said that we HAD made the effort to go and speak to others.

I suppose my experience at many other events has been that people are generally quite chatty and happy to talk to others nearby and so I was surprised at how introverted a meet RF was.

Jul 27, 2013
Wilts/Oxon border
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since childhood!
Ha ha that's us. Been pushing the old vw into action for the last 23 months while we await the new motorhome but actually got to see it on the way here on Thursday and picking up on 1st Sept.Alas Hobgoblin, Guinness and The Guvnor supplies seriously depleted but certainly next time! I'm also going to be bringing beers for Rob.Both he and Adi should get Man of The Match awards!
Waves to a fellow red van owner!
Good luck and many happy adventures with your new one. 😁

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
Mr Tonks if you happen to see me at a rally feel free to come and have a natter.
If you want to lower you’re standards to mine 😂

If you don’t mind a bit of a laugh or pee taking and giving/banter 👍😊

I’m not sure if some funsters are shy or just don’t want to mix with people they don’t know 🤷‍♂️
Everyone one is different though 😊
So we can recognise you, do you have a long nose, pointy ears and and an orange face? :ROFLMAO:
We have the grandkids with us so are a bit preoccupied but have hardly seen anybody to talk to anyway and because we have been in France for twenty years have only been to one other Fun rally so have not met many members. I also have the memory of a goldfish so would not remember your name within 10 seconds of leaving your company.
It is a very normal thing that we meet people we are comfortable with and then put up an invisible barrier around us. Some put up a physical barrier as well with their 6ft wind breaks.
If it had been better weather perhaps we would have met more people by sitting out having food. Or maybe I am just a miserable git that nobody wants to talk to anyway. :rolleyes::cry:

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
We do quite a few rallies and find most folks sociabl, some do like to stay in their own little groups not an issue,
we have attended the retro twice Newark and Newbury didn’t get a chance to speak to anyone really as they could not hear me above the generator noise from the RVs 🤣
we do like rallies but avoid getting parked next to any RVs 👍

pwilmo

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 17, 2009
Kings Lynn, Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Auto Roller 747
Exp
Since 2005
I found much the same, the Retro Fest is a great event, plenty to see and great music entertainment.

However, I usually go to all the motorhome shows .. booked disabled, but this is my first time with MHFun.

I need easy access to water and elsan, not tramping through ankle height soaking wet grass, noise of roads and generators does not bother us in the slightest. The site is so uneven, crazy levels.

The Funster club site is definitely prime location for the entertainments ..it is good being in the showground.

However to see all of it .. it's huge, no matter where you are sited .. there's loads of walking to do, good exercise.

I was looking forward to the Fun tent to meet the funsters but alas, no meeting tent/entertainment to take your own alcohol.

I found the club site not friendly, many fence themselves in and begrudgingly return a greeting ..could be the rotten weather maybe !?

They seem to have set themselves into niche groups and have no interest of newcomers.

In retrospect I should have put my forum name on the van.

The marshall was great, a proper friendly chappy, a good embassador for Motorhome Fun. A good little dancer too!!

But thank you for organising the club site
THOROUGHLY ENJOYABLE

Feb 20, 2022
Stoke-on-Trent, UK
Funster No
MH
Kon tiki 599 sport
Exp
Im a newbie
It wasnt you next to me with the genny ,it was a van only 3 or 4 years old .

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie

You always managed to hunt me down 🙄
It was verging on stalking g I think 😂😂😂

How’s things Lenny HB i see from another post the insomnia hasn’t left you 😉😂😂

Sep 28, 2015
Farnham, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu 640
We would like to say a BIG thank you to Adi, Cassie, Rob, and all the other volunteers that make it possible for us to attend this great event. We had a fantastic time with family and friends, members mexican pete DanWithTheVan JohnM2 and Glenmc despite the weather. The 12, 15 and 16 year old girls we had with us, loved it spending their time shopping, dancing and on the swinging yachts and waltser !!!
We all can’t wait for next year.

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2014
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Rapido 854f
Exp
Since 2012
Many thanks to Adi, Cassie and Rob for all your work over the weekend. It really is appreciated and we had a great time.We "Northern Souled" ourselves to a standstill!
Gerard and Michele

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back