request advice: can a french buy en english motorhome

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by areuh, Feb 18, 2013.

1. areuh

areuh Read Only Funster

Good evening,

I'm coming now in your nice country in order to request you about advices and help.

I'm a pretty frogs eater and looking for a motorhome. Today in a french web site, i just found an english motorhome.
    It's cheap so good for my wallet and before buying it, i come here to get informations about english motorhomes in france.

Mainly i'd like to have informations about electricity.
    In UK you're with 110V and in France we are with 220V.
    so
    I'd like to know: can you connect your motorhome with 220V, if yes do u need a specific electronic socket or anything else?

another advice but with gas.
    In france the rule is 30mb, what is in UK? (i hope u understand cause here it's very difficult for me)

Thank you for your answers.
    If you have any other ideas, go on please

I will come back frequently
    areuh

2. mitzimad

mitzimad Funster

electric and gas are same as france so no problems you will need a diferent hook uplead at some french sites and aires our electrics are earthed rather than fused on both phases so you will need to check for polarity when used in france

Last edited: Feb 18, 2013
  3. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

UK electric is 230volts and lpg gas bottle regulators are now 30mb and is the same all over Europe since 2003 for gas.

to use French gas bottles you will need a French gas hose/regulator
    the UK bottle is different to French bottle

4. areuh

areuh Read Only Funster

good evening,

ok thank you for the answers.
    I really need to check this point so i'm about to choose pappajohn's answer cause it's easier

so nothing to be done for the electric, just need to buy socket to adapt french electric equipment

for the gas, just need to buy a hose/regulator (just translated now)

ok great, thank you averybody
    areuh

• Like Like x 1
  5. Anna

Anna Read Only Funster

French immatriculation

Hi
    We live in France and bought a Motorhome in the Royaume Unis last year. Presume the Motorhome you have seen for sale will be an "occasion" (second hand)? If so, In order to change into French immatriculation, you must make sure you can obtain a certificate of conformity. This will depend on how old it is. How old is it? Because if you can't obtain a COC, then it will be treated as if it's a self build and that will cost more to change and will be a lot more paper work.
    In any case, you will have to change the headlights, if they can't be adjusted, and have a gas check done by Veritas.
    The Motorhome we bought was 1998 and we could not obtain a certificate of conformity. It was treated as a self build by the DREAL, was a big hassle and the total cost to obtain French immatriculation was about 1000€ on top of the cost of the Motorhome, plus the cost of the ferry and diesel of getting it to France.
    If you require any further info I can help, please get in touch.
    Bon courage!

6. yodeli

yodeli Funster Life Member

Salut areuh! (j'ai l'impression d'entendre mes bébés lol!)

Si tu as besoin d'un coup de patte fais moi signe ... Je me demandais justement quelles seraient les formalités car pas mal de camping cars anglais sont vraiment bien foutus , et je ne serais pas surprise que l'un d'eux fasse pencher mon coeur, j'aime beaucoup les auto sleepers et en France il n'y en a pas!!

En tous cas Bienvenue sur le forum!

@++++
    Frankie

• Like Like x 1
  7. simsy56

simsy56 Funster

:Eeek:

Craig

• Like Like x 1
  8. teddybard

teddybard Read Only Funster

In near perfect French too
    thankyou Frankie:Wink:

• Like Like x 3
  9. yodeli

Gosh Anna .... they know how to treat themselves , but yes Dreal is pretty difficult with conformity!
    This is one detail I'll remember... just in case I want a British van and can't have a certificat de conformité!
    I'll try to keep in mind that you went through french red tape already, it could save me an awful lot of time :Wink: !!

Amicalement

Frankie:Smile::Smile:

• Like Like x 1
  10. yodeli

Sorry Teddy , did you want a translation?

May be you find it a tad rude to talk in French, but so easier for me and for areuh ... poor one ... if he needs a dictionnary to get all your texts ... he's going to need all night !LOL So I thought a bit of french wouldn't hurt!!

So roughly I told him he could rely on me for any kind of help. On the other hand I appreciate to have info on the subject as i do like British vans and might fell for one of them !

Are you feeling any better ? I promiss I didn't say anything rude about UK or its people :BigGrin::BigGrin:

You can trust me!!

Amicalement

Frankie:Wink:

• Like Like x 3
  11. areuh

areuh Read Only Funster

hi,

-- for Anna

the vehicle is a second half and already has french immatriculation
    you're right, i know i will have to change the headlights,
    the truck is a peugeot boxer so i think it will be easy to change but not sure.
    Need to go a peugeot's garage to ask

"have a gas check done by Veritas." <- do you speak about the regulator i've already spoken or about a certificate?

-- for yodeli (frankie), pas de probleme mais peut etre que tu peux deja verifier ma bonne compréhension de la langue de Shakespeare et jouer le garde-fou.
    Apres pour les formalités si j'ai un truc particulier je demande et je partage l'info, pas de souci (si je décide d'acheter le véhicule bien sur)
    are u french? or do u write it (perfectly i have to say)

-- teddybard and sisy56 (craig)
    :Wink:

12. chesterfield hooligan

chesterfield hooligan Funster

:Rofl1: Hi this dose not :Rofl1:

:Rofl1: translate very well with bing :Rofl1:

13. yodeli

Je tâcherai de suivre le sujet de près afin de m'assurer que tout est bien saisi de part et d'autre !
    Oui je suis française mais je baigne dans le bouillon anglais depuis déjà un bon bout de temps , d'autre part suis en couple avec l'un des membres du forum qui lui bien sûr est britannique!

A très bientôt .... et de ce pas je vais me glisser sous ma couette!

Amicalement

Frankie:Smile:

14. yodeli

I suggest then you change translator:Laughing: I'm going to make my own ... what do you think about this? I'll call it "bubbles tranlator":Rofl1: I'll concentrate on slang !! What do you think Brian??

And now night night!

Amicalement

Frankie:Wink:

• Like Like x 2
  15. teddybard

teddybard Read Only Funster

Thanks for translation
    Understood about 60% I Joking

16. Munchie

Munchie Funster Life Member

We moved our UK motorhome into the French system last year.
    We got a certificate of conformity from Itineo our motorhome maker and there was no problem with anything.
    No Drear or need for a gas check.
    As long as your van is 3.5te max and you have a certificate of conformity then you should have no problem, we certainly did not. :thumb:

Oh and a CT :BigGrin:

17. Anna

Anna Read Only Funster

18. Anna

Anna Read Only Funster

Yes, Frankie, not cheap!
    This was the approx total price, which included Certificate of Conformity from Fiat (for the chassis/cab), Certificate of Conformity from Alko (for the chassis conversion), Veritas certificate (for the gas check), CT, charge for Dreal inspection, Carte Gris, LH Headlights (found 2nd hand on Le Bon Coin).....think that was about all....no charge for all our time and effort filling in all the French paperwork due to MH being treated as a self build (due to no Certificate of Conformity being available from Swift for the habitation part (cellule?)!

19. Anna

Anna Read Only Funster

Yes, my point is that if you want to register a UK MH in France, make sure you can obtain a complete COC as if it's an older MH, this may not be possible. If this is the case, then it will have to go through the procedure of being classed as a self build and all that involves.
    If over 3.5t then it will be treated as HGV vehicle and have to have the CT carried out at an HGV station every year.

20. Terry

Terry Funster

Hi Areuh, perhaps Frankie could translate for you about the SCAMS that are going around here in the U.K. at the moment :Eeek:Do not pay for any van up front on the promise they will deliver or that you can pick it up after you have paid.
    Terry

• Like Like x 2