Rent before we buy - a couple of questions (1 Viewer)

Sadie1970

Free Member
Aug 17, 2016
Liverpool
Funster No
MH
None yet
Exp
New
We have decided to rent a Bailey Autograph 765 from Days in Swansea for 4 days in March to try it out before we buy.

The information about what is included in the vehicle is non existent on the website, When I asked what was included I was emailed the checklist used when you pick up the vehicle which is very basic and doesn't include anything like TV etc.

Are there any essential things that you couldn't be without that I should check whether they are available? This is our very first trip in a Motorhome and I really want it to go well so it doesn't put us off buying one.

We are thinking of trying a couple of sites around Tenby/St David's, although we like the idea of very small quiet places when we have our own Motorhome, I think we need all the support, hook ups etc that a bigger site will offer for our first trip.

Why do different sites have different types of electric hook up? Will it make a difference to what type of things we can run on electricity?

Do you have any advice for us first timers?

Delboyarapaho

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 17, 2013
Herts UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Liner for T
Exp
Since 2013
I presume the reason you are renting is to see if the van you rent works for you before you buy? If so I would be less concerned about what is in the van you rent and more concerned to get views of the forum as to what you should consider in evaluating the van. We looked at the baily and whilst I have to acknowledge that they are both very popular vans and good quality we are very glad we didn't buy one. Why? well just consider where you will store the stuff you need to take away with you for a decent duration holiday. you have already noted you need somewhere to put the hookup lead and others have referred to needing the essential toilet chemicals, water hose, sun chairs, outside table, ramps. We also travel with an electric hotplate, BBQ, portable gas burner (we prefer to cook outside when weather permits it keeps smells out of the moho), 2 bikes, umberellas, walking boots, waterproof coats and a shed load of beer, wine, soft drinks, and other food stuffs not all of which fits in the van. I mention these sort of items as we don't feel the Baily's have sufficient storage for us and you need to consider what you are likely to want to take with you. You can fit a box on the back but where do your bikes go if you do? the bed provides some limited storage underneath but who wants to sleep over a smelly BBQ? I really would give thought to what you want to learn by renting the van as what the rental contains should be the least of your concerns. Good luck I know how daunting it is looking for your first van and renting is very wise but talk to as many people as you can who have different types and styles of vans when you are away and consider how their views address your priorities.

Reactions: CWH
Upvote 0

mercianman

Free Member
Mar 4, 2016
Newport Pagnell
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape 696
Exp
If the van doesn't have screwdrivers I would take some as we hired a Bailey 765 before we bought our own motorhome. We had to hotwire the jammed electric bed and also fix the external cupboard doors that kept flying open and let the rain in. I don't think it had been well looked after. :swear2:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Corkscrew - no-one's mentioned the single most important piece of kit in a Motorhome, the bottle opener/corkscrew :eek:!
I didn't see it mentioned in the 'what's included' list either :(.

The second most important item is - the credit card.
For when you absolutely need something & haven't got it.

Thirdly - pack a sense of adventure & fun. If some little item is missing, then work around it, have a giggle. It's only for a few days.

The amount of clobber we tend to carry around - just incase - is often ridiculous.
I'm just emptying my van out ready for part exchange and I'm amazed at the amount of useless junk I've accumulated... and I travel light, half the cupboards are unused!

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back