Remind me what happens at 70

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Bailey58, Jul 3, 2014.

1. Bailey58

Bailey58 Funster Life Member

Having been reading these two threads, Motorhome Payloads and Approved Towbar, with thoughts on carrying our ebikes I've just been to the weighbridge with a road ready van, including the wife and four bricks to represent the dog, to check figures before submitting a form to Watling Engineers for a towbar price.

Well, to quote Enoch Powell, we, with many others judging by the threads, are "in the stickiest situation since Sticky the Stick Insect got stuck on a sticky bun."

With about 40kg to spare on a 3500kg van there ain't gonna be a towbar, a bike rack or any bikes without leaving a lot behind or uprating the van.

I know it's on Fun somewhere but 'can someone remind me what happens at 70 re licenses given I passed way back in the late 60's and in theory should have the right to continue driving the same van should we decide to uprate.

2. MikeandCarolyn

MikeandCarolyn Read Only Funster

At 70 you will need to fill in extra forms and have a medical to keep your full entitlement.
    There have been a couple of threads on this,and there is info on DVLA site.
    Mike

• Like Like x 1
  3. Tootles

Tootles Funster

The 'grinder' seems to be the Extortionate price your NHS GP charges for the so called 'medical assessment'.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Chudders

Chudders Read Only Funster

I am sure there will be others more knowledgeable than me but as far as I know you can continue to drive up to 3500Kgs after 70 years. You passed your test years ago and I think it is a C1 entitlement
    If you upgrade the van and go over 3500 then at 70 you will require a medical and GP,s charge for that I think. Last I heard was about £70 in this area although I don't know how long that lasts. Is it every year I wonder.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Tootles

Tootles Funster

Average is about £130 in Lancashire. :mad:

6. laneside

laneside Funster

Oh heck here we go, I am currently jumping through this hoop

Right two months before you are seventy the DVLA send you out a form D 46P filling this in takes away your rights to drive anything over 3500 Kg. If you want to carry on driving over 3500 Kg you need to retain your C 1 rights and to do this you need a form D 2 to fill in which is only available from the DVLA and you need a form D4. Which you can download off line from the DVLA website. This form has to be filled in by a "Qualified person" ie your doctor who may well charge you a kings ransom for doing it you then send the lot off to DVLA. At Swansea and join me sitting on your hands waiting for them to perform and send you back a nice new licence still retaining your C1 entitlement but do check carefully that all is correct as it would appear that the majority of new recruits at the DVLA do not know their bum from their elbow

• Like Like x 4
  7. MikeandCarolyn

In wales my GP was asking £130 and it was difficult to get an apt-I ended up going to in Independent GP surgery and paid £90.
    There is also an eye test which has to be done by either an approved GP or an Optician.
    After that you will have to repeat the process every 3 yrs.
    Mike

8. laneside

laneside Funster

Hey our flipping health centre which really is the proverbial chocolate tea pot charged me £135 and it took him ten minutes to fill the form out and this, as yet, is the most expensive that I have heard about

• Like Like x 1
  9. Tootles

Tootles Funster

So, you go to 'Specsavers', your over 65, and you get a free eye test........Is that good enough for the DVLA, or do you have to pay the bl**dy optician as well??

10. laneside

laneside Funster

Depends which D4 form you get as one is for an optician to fill in and the other is for your doctor to test your eyesight and fill in and I have no idea which is the most up to date form

11. MikeandCarolyn

Optician is free.It was my 3rd time and in previous yrs the eye test had been done by GP and just consisted of reading a card he held up on other side of room.This last one included measuring peripheral vision and an eye test with and without glasses on.
    The GP had said he was no longer able to do the eye test as regulations had changed.
    Mike

12. tonka

tonka Funster Life Member

There are many independant places to get your medical done other that your own GP and a lot cheaper..
    HGV drivers, pilots etc all have to get them done so just do a web search..

ex..
    http://www.driversmedicals.com

• Like Like x 1
  13. wasp

wasp Funster

Ha Ha he must be an ex plumber lol

14. middle east driver

middle east driver Funster

i,m 70 in april next year can anyone tell me what sort of medical do they give you to keep your c1 as i am disabled and still have my c1 at mo regards mervyn

15. Bailey58

I expect there'll be more but in the absence of a "Thanks" button (Jim?) thanks to all, particularly laneside who's doing it as we speak. (y)

16. matamoros

matamoros Funster

Ex Rochdale now Tavira, S. Brittany & Europe
    Eye test depends on whether the GP is qualified to do the enhanced eye test now required, some are some aren't.

17. Wyaye wires

Wyaye wires

Is it any wonder then that he's having eyesight issues? :whistle:

• Like Like x 2
  18. alan

alan Funster

After 70 as stated you need a. D2 form which has to be supplied by Dvla and you can download the D4 which as to be filled in by a doctor.
    I received my second licence after 70 last Monday and it took 10 days from sending in applications to receiving my new licence.
    My doctor filled in my medical at £110 but was not qualified to issue my eyesight test with the new regulations, so I had it done at specs avers for £7.50
    Your driving licence is posted to you with the date they processed the application ,so mine was issued on the 28 June even though my previous licence expired on 8th of August
    Hope this helps
    Alan

19. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

But will they let you take your MH to HMP Dartmoor Rolf?

• Like Like x 1
  20. Bailey58

If it's Dartmoor you'd better lock up your daughters. (n)

• Like Like x 1