Remapping a fiat (1 Viewer)

Jul 8, 2016
Carshalton
Funster No
MH
Nuevo II 2010
Exp
Since 1993
I remapped my 2007 Fiat Ducato 2.3 130 multijet on my 4ton Bessacar E495 a couple of years back. Used a diy Racechip bought for £199 on the internet. Fitted fairly easily in 30minutes. My average mpg went from a disappointing 23mpg to a pretty decent 29-31mpg when fully loaded and that's averaging 60-65mph. Less gear changes on long hills too since the power is increased. No problems with insurance either. I think it has repaid me handsomely and in fact i was so happy that i fitted one to my family car and saw the fuel consumption on long trips drop from 45mpg to 55mpg. These days of high petrol prices every little aid to improve mpg has got to be a bonus.

Aug 25, 2016
Taynuilt, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer 655 Starline
Exp
Village idiot
I have we had my Mercedes hymer (starline) breathed on and it’s fantastic now for a class. Now running at 200bhp and over 400 little torkies 👍. So much more driving control and the torkies make a big difference. I had to test it on the. Highway and it’s the fastest brick 🧱 about. But it did drink. At normal speeds it’s not as thirsty as before the remap. 👍👍👍🥃

Dec 22, 2014
Helsby, Frodsham, UK
Funster No
MH
Elddis Encore 255
Exp
1 year
Ihave this item for sale £40, I fit it onto our 2009 Autotrail and it gave us a good increase in fuel consumuption. It just plugs into the Din rail. If interested let me know and I'll readvertise it for sale.
AutoBluespark CRtech 2 Multi Map
This will fit Fiat Ductato & Puegeot Boxer engines. I originally had it fitted on my Autotrail & Elddis Autoquest 175. If required it can be remapped by suppier.
It can be used to improve fuel consuption or power
<Broken link removed>

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 16, 2019
Epsom, Surrey
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Anyone had it done and have the Fiat Comfortmatic gearbox?
Yes I had my 2014 2.3 Ducato comfortmatic re mapped just after I bought it last year, as I have had my last 7 vehicles done by Paul at Expert tuning who is a Quantum representative. I have been more than impressed with all the results including more torque for the hills and better motorway cruising. My best result was our Audi Q3 2.0 diesel which went from 174hp to 210hp and +50NM extra torque. Never had any problems as the maps are all within the engines designed parameters.

Aug 17, 2021
Cambridge, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner TL680G
Exp
Since 2019 but before in Australia and NZ. Not used it yet in Europe. Previous keen caravanner.
I used TrueTune and it has noticably changed the pullling power og my 3.85 tonne Burstner with towcar - feels so much safer at junctions! The beautity of True Tune is that you do it yourself with the kit they send with them at the end of the phone really helpful. It can be set up as you want it - I found Caravan Guard would insure me at normal rates with up to 30% increase in power, so TrueTune did just that for me (normally they would have done more).

May 8, 2021
Bedford, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph792F
Exp
Since June 2021
beware remapping the ford puma engine as fitted to some peugeots.

Is the puma only the 2.2? I've a peugeot bailey with a 2.0 litre and just wondering as Im considering contacting quantum about a remap

Dec 17, 2019
St Leonards, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu
Exp
Converted caravanner!
Yes I had my 2014 2.3 Ducato comfortmatic re mapped just after I bought it last year, as I have had my last 7 vehicles done by Paul at Expert tuning who is a Quantum representative. I have been more than impressed with all the results including more torque for the hills and better motorway cruising. My best result was our Audi Q3 2.0 diesel which went from 174hp to 210hp and +50NM extra torque. Never had any problems as the maps are all within the engines designed parameters.
Took the plunge and had the Celtic remap. From 130 to 165hp. So far so good, drive ability improved, smoother, quieter, mid range torque stronger.

Aug 17, 2021
Cambridge, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner TL680G
Exp
Since 2019 but before in Australia and NZ. Not used it yet in Europe. Previous keen caravanner.
Maxtune have provided me with an excellent upgrade. They are really helpful if you ring them. They provide you with the kit to electronically remap and it is easy! (tho did need to phone htem for help as my Fiat is automatic.) Insurance-wise, CaravanGuard allow up to 30% extra power with no change in premium. MaxTRune can achieve a lot more than that but are happy to restrict the power increase if you ask them to.

huck999

Free Member
May 30, 2020
Crewe, UK
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Definitely got more power and torque but fuel consumption remained about the same.

Jul 29, 2021
Nottingham, UK
Funster No
MH
Boxer L3H2
Ihave this item for sale £40, I fit it onto our 2009 Autotrail and it gave us a good increase in fuel consumuption. It just plugs into the Din rail. If interested let me know and I'll readvertise it for sale.
AutoBluespark CRtech 2 Multi Map
This will fit Fiat Ductato & Puegeot Boxer engines. I originally had it fitted on my Autotrail & Elddis Autoquest 175. If required it can be remapped by suppier.
It can be used to improve fuel consuption or power
<Broken link removed>

Used to have one of those cheap in plugin "tuners" in a 206SW Diesel. I wouldn't recommend it. It messed up the engine.

You get what you pay for.

Sep 4, 2022
Funster No
MH
Elddis CV80
I have just got a Fiat to ducato PVC 2.2 diesel manual. What tuning boxes would people recommend and what have people used to gain more economy and torque?

Dec 17, 2019
St Leonards, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu
Exp
Converted caravanner!
I have just got a Fiat to ducato PVC 2.2 diesel manual. What tuning boxes would people recommend and what have people used to gain more economy and torque?
Try Celtic for a remap, they will come to your home.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Balance of opinion seems to favour a remap rather than an add-on box.

However don't expect more economy AND more torque - no matter what the proponents say experience shows that you (well I) get a much nicer "torquier" drive with less gear changing, but not much improvement on economy, and that is ensuring you don't change your driving style.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
I have this one for sale

Tried and tested and definitely makes the engine more zippy and responsive.
I would guess it also add a couple of MPG to the engine.
Taken from my 2019 - 2.3 -130Hp Lyseo, although its a common the chip for many Ducato engines.
Complete with all instructions
£40 including UK post.
Message me if you are interested

IMG_20220906_112311.jpg

Sep 4, 2022
Funster No
MH
Elddis CV80
Balance of opinion seems to favour a remap rather than an add-on box.

However don't expect more economy AND more torque - no matter what the proponents say experience shows that you (well I) get a much nicer "torquier" drive with less gear changing, but not much improvement on economy, and that is ensuring you don't change your driving style.
Agreed that the matches remap send to give a more tailored improvement to the engine and yes with more torque I will probably get similar or less mpg. The main counter is that will it be noticed by fiat warranty and invalidate it if there is a map loaded to it?
The mapping in line boxes do allow their removal prior to having a service or warranty claim if needed.
Main failures seem to be DPF and EGR which I’d the same for most modern dishes and I’ve had them mailed out on my VAG cars.

Sep 4, 2022
Funster No
MH
Elddis CV80
I have this one for sale

Tried and tested and definitely makes the engine more zippy and responsive.
I would guess it also add a couple of MPG to the engine.
Taken from my 2019 - 2.3 -130Hp Lyseo, although its a common the chip for many Ducato engines.
Complete with all instructions
£40 including UK post.
Message me if you are interested

View attachment 663513
Interesting but I’m wondering why you are selling it? Have you now had your engine emailed or sold the vehicle or found it doesn’t work for you?

Oct 20, 2021
Framlingham, Woodbridge, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 774
Exp
Since 2017
I got a tuning box from TDI tuning in Chelmsford. I have an Adria 670 with 130 multi jet and comfortmatic (which is a motorised manual gearbox). Performance was dreadful, bordering on dangerous. TDI fitted the box at no extra cost 5 years ago and bhp went from 130 to 160. Fuel economy extra couple of mpg. You can adjust the box for more economy or more performance. Pulls really well now, no more horse boxes zipping past me on hills! At the time cost me around £300 I think don’t know current prices.

Jul 8, 2016
Carshalton
Funster No
MH
Nuevo II 2010
Exp
Since 1993
I have a Bessacar 495 with a Fiat 130 multijet 2.3litre engine. After the first long trip I did with it 4 years ago I got around 23mpg - not very happy!! After a little research I purchased a Racechip for £199 and fitted that in 30mins. Since then performance has definitely improved and the best thing is the mpg rocketed up to around 29mpg average. Just told the insurance company and no extra premium. I am really happy I made that investment.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Interesting but I’m wondering why you are selling it? Have you now had your engine emailed or sold the vehicle or found it doesn’t work for you?
I've never really been interested in re-maps. I have always worried about big HP and the clutch life.
My son did a deal with a mate for a re-map on my van and you can't have both.
He wanted to remap it to 180HP!! but I told him to concentrate on a torque curve increase and if possible mpg.
I've only driven it a few miles and it does feel smoother.
I'll let you know how much better it is with this remap as I'm off to France next week.

Last edited:

Trout bum

Free Member
Sep 7, 2016
Ayr
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix M670SL
Exp
I fitted a TDI tuning box to my Ducatto 130 multijet engine , there are 7 settings on it but to be honest don't really see much more mpg at all, can't comment on other makes .

Sep 4, 2022
Funster No
MH
Elddis CV80
Does anyone have issues or worried with fiat warranty. The pvc is 2 weeks old and it’s lack lustre at best when going up hills I’m changing gears to cope hence the interest in what works. The TDI/quantum seem coming but not heard of the falcon or racechip mentioned elsewhere.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Louis P s P The Ducato engine does need time to loosen up - mine was well over 10000 miles before I felt that it was starting to run more freely. Chipping or remapping should improve your performance but I would probably wait until it's got a few thousand miles on it. I don't know what your experience of driving larger vehicles is, but a motor-home is going to be very different in handling and performance to a car or even a standard commercial van.

Jul 14, 2019
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7086f
Exp
Louis P s P The Ducato engine does need time to loosen up - mine was well over 10000 miles before I felt that it was starting to run more freely. Chipping or remapping should improve your performance but I would probably wait until it's got a few thousand miles on it. I don't know what your experience of driving larger vehicles is, but a motor-home is going to be very different in handling and performance to a car or even a standard commercial van.
Could not agree more with Terry L My advice would be let things settle down first at least 6 to 8 thousand miles They are not high performance vehicles Like I have said many times just chill enjoy life at a much more slower pace if you can't do this you really must ask yourself what am I doing with a motorhome

Sep 2, 2014
Near Colchester, Essex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo
Exp
12 years
Remapping a motorhome .

It has been suggested to me in respect of fuel prices as they are.
That a remap could help with fuel economy and a little extra power. Not much on either.

Is there such a thing as a remap for a Fiat Ducato 2.2. 2003. Diesal engine. ?

Anyone here on the forum had a remap and did it make any difference .

I know I will be getting OH you must tell the insurance company.

And Cost wise may not be regained by fuel savings.
But let’s do this one stage at a time.

There are companies near me that do this sort of thing.
And so far as costs go it will be what it will be.

But the burning question is will it improve fuel and performance or destroy the engine
Over the long or short term.

I have not asked the company that demos the remapping as I expect them to say everything
Would be o.k .

But will it ?
Hi, we have a Burstner on a Ducato chassis with a 2.3 diesel engine. We have had fitted a tuning box from TDi Tuning 01245 806446
https://tdi-tuning.com/en-gb. It has many advantages over remapping, in as much as you can remove it by unplugging it from the wiring loom if you change vehicles.
My insurance company were happy with its fitment as it does not change anything in the ECU.
We have just returned from a long trip right down through Spain and into France crossing the Pyrenees etc, and we found we had far better power from the engine, better pulling away and far better fuel economy than ever before.
It was so easy to fit, it was just plug and play and it was cheaper than chipping/remapping.
Hope this helps, give their website a look.

Jan 1, 2022
Funster No
MH
2008 Bessacarr E495
Exp
Jan 2022
Hi just had my 2008 fiat 2.3 maxi remapped. What a difference it now makes towing my car up hills. Now running at 160hp and more torque for pulling. Mileage a bit better but hard to say with fuel costs and my heavy foot. Avon tunning in Mablethorpe cost £295.00

Jan 31, 2016
Alness, Cromarty Firth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 (2012)
Exp
I've decided to go to Celtic Tuning as they have a chap in Inverness. He's two services stage 1 183BHP or economy 160bhp which I'll go for, £250+ VAT.
Our Moho is Hymer B544 (4250kg) 2.3 130bhp, and we find the hills over on the west coast can be a struggle, the Fiat has had a new clutch and timing belt done in last 12 months so no worries there.

Would like to know what others have had done as not sure about getting 183bhp or the 160bhp.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011

I have done just 21000 now and the the engine is feeling looser now.
I still don't think it any where near a good as my 2012 euro5 engine which always seemed to have more toque and reliably gave more MPG.
Maybe euro 6 has choked the life out of modern diesel engines?
This is the reason why I even considered a remap and I'm not interested in speed or HP.
The tuning chip definitely made a difference and I could tell straight away when I'd took it off prior to the remap.

May 23, 2022
Funster No
MH
burstner 747-2
We map lots of different vehicles all are customers say how much better they are on fuel we are a Avon tuning dealer check out there web site for a local agent

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back