Remapping a fiat (1 Viewer)

Jun 29, 2012
Penrith
Funster No
MH
DIMS van conversion
Exp
since 2010
We've had a few engines remapped (not the plug in's) the insurance thanked us for phoning and told us it wasn't a problem and wouldn't affect the policy.
Our 2.2 Ford Puma was upped from 124 to 160 bhp - with lots of torque at 1800 revs.

I asked LV if it would be ok to chip it and they said OK - let us know when you've had it done.

They then charged me an EXTRA £600 -so I ran it for a year and had it returned to it's original spec.

Ours is a SWB low-roof Transit and it flew! The increase in petrol consumption wasn't as spectacular as I'd thought it might be.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
I remember this conversation coming up many times in the past on here, but I always remembered the video someone posted about plug in tuning boxes not being as good as an individual custom dyno full remap done on a rolling road. I tried to find a video similar to the one shown before, but found this one instead.....interesting results are shown here between the two methods.
I dont think I would ever go for a clip on plug & go tuning box over a full rolling road dyno check, as there may be other tweaks/improvements that can be done also to the standard engine & exhaust set up, like an upgraded air filter maybe.🤷‍♂️

LES

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2021
Funster No
MH
chausson
I remember this conversation coming up many times in the past on here, but I always remembered the video someone posted about plug in tuning boxes not being as good as an individual custom dyno full remap done on a rolling road. I tried to find a video similar to the one shown before, but found this one instead.....interesting results are shown here between the two methods.
I dont think I would ever go for a clip on plug & go tuning box over a full rolling road dyno check, as there may be other tweaks/improvements that can be done also to the standard engine & exhaust set up, like an upgraded air filter maybe.🤷‍♂️

LES

The majority of plug and play modules don’t actually change the ecu dynamics, they tend to trick the fuel air flow mixture via the MAF sensor.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
The majority of plug and play modules don’t actually change the ecu dynamics, they tend to trick the fuel air flow mixture via the MAF sensor.
Exactly my point, they just increase the pressure of fuel mix to the injectors.
Too many companies out there making spurious claims on increased torque and power, I think its better to get a rolling road proper ECU remap that increases power & torque at the levels that are within the safe parameters of the engines spec.
You would also get a copy of the dyno chart of before & after the re-map as proof of any enhancements made.
LES

Jul 28, 2021
British South West Somerset
Funster No
MH
Rapido Dreamer PVC
Exp
Minimal
For those of us who have ordered and paid handsomely for a Ducato factory power upgrade from a 140hp to 160hp I am hoping that I have paid for more than a simple chip remap and it includes other mods as well!:rolleyes:

OP
OP
S

sonar

Free Member
Dec 3, 2021
Funster No
MH
For those of us who have ordered and paid handsomely for a Ducato factory power upgrade from a 140hp to 160hp I am hoping that I have paid for more than a simple chip remap and it includes other mods as well!:rolleyes:
what other mods would you have like to have included .

mine was remapped. More hp.additional. 34 hp
More torque from 300 to 390 Nm
less fuel consumption.

it has been adjusted within safe parameters .
Anyway thats what I got. And what I paid for. Or so I am told yet to try it out.

Last edited:

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Max engine HP is only produced at something like 4500 to 5500rpm, any more and engine rev limiter takes over ( I don't drive at those rpm).
Torque at your comfortable driving style is what matters and this is what an engine should be tuned for. However for a given engine ultimate power is limited by its design, efficiency and the ability to dispose of surplus heat generated by burning fuel.
If you look at the power and torque curve for most diesels the maximum power will be at more like 4000 revs but torque starts to drop off at around 3000 so not much point in revving it much over that in my opinion.

Aug 12, 2021
Funster No
MH
chausson
If you look at the power and torque curve for most diesels the maximum power will be at more like 4000 revs but torque starts to drop off at around 3000 so not much point in revving it much over that in my opinion.
With the 2.2 Ford Puma you can change the torque setting to around the 1500rpm mark, which is ideal for start off and hill climbing. The trade off is “possible” clutch and gearbox issues. The full automatic torque converter models should be OK but the semi-autos/manual may suffer. The Puma is a very adaptable lump, from removing the EGR/DPF to larger intercoolers to more turbo boost. I don’t think it’s in the league of 0-60 in 6secs in a 3.5t+ 😂

Ps. I have the 2.4 puma in a Land Rover Defender!

Jul 28, 2021
British South West Somerset
Funster No
MH
Rapido Dreamer PVC
Exp
Minimal
what other mods would you have like to have included .

mine was remapped. More hp.additional. 34 hp
More torque from 300 to 390 Nm
less fuel consumption.

it has been adjusted within safe parameters .
Anyway thats what I got. And what I paid for. Or so I am told yet to try it out.
I was informed there were turbo, EGR, and DPF changes.modifications. Will need to do a bit more digging to get that confirmed.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
ALL the boxes that plug into the common rail are NOT remaps, just timers and resistors to fool the injector pump to deliver more fuel for longer than the ecu map calls for. They can and do go wrong very easily. I had one fitted to a 4x4 thatwould suddenly start running like an old banger, losing power before entering limp mode. It did it a few times, but the last was bombing down the outside lane of a motorway. 80 to limp mode in 10 seconds is bloody scary

I removed it, so the engine could be tested without any modification. The problem was gone instantly. It wasn't as if it was a cheap version, I paid hundreds for it. Utter crap and potentially deadly

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I have not had time to read all the posts, but just to relay our experience.

I decided we wanted a proper re-map not a plug-in chip.

The problem I was trying to solve was the lack of power to maintain 5th gear on a Fiat 2.8jtd (2003) on moderate hills., nothing about mpg etc. So I specified this to the re-mapper, which he took on board.

The re-map did exactly what I asked for, in that I can breast most hills in 5th, except the steeper ones.

I find that to keep in the 'sweat spot' I need to keep the revs at 2200-2300 rpm, which is 65-70mph in 5th. One needs a 'feel' for an engine.

I am very conscious of not putting too much torque into the clutch and other parts of the drive train, so if the revs do drop I change down.

I get about 1-2mpg more after the re-map, but I put this down to being able to stay in the high-ratio 5th gear for most of the journey.

I recommend having the re-map done but specify what you want to achieve - power or mpg, but be aware of dangers of over-torqueing at low revs.

I used a guy called Alex who trades under 'Boosters', who came from Norfolk to meet us at Peterborough Services and took about 30 mins to do the job. It was 7-8 years ago and I think I paid £170.

Geoff

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
My son had a Ford Ranger with the 2.2 engine in it, he got it remapped and there was a general improvement. Within 2 years though, he suffered from the cracked piston problem, which blew some of the engine seals too. We did read at the time that this problem may have been somehow related to altering the injection timing ?

Feb 18, 2022
Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9048DF 2016
We had our 2002 Hymer B544 (so presumably 2001 base vehicle) 2.8 JTD remapped a long while back.
Pre-ODBII so the ECU had to be removed to be reprogrammed.
I asked for more power, but not worried about MPG.
A friend with a similar vehicle did a discount-for-two deal and asked for better MPG.

Major improvement on ours for acceleration (useful when on a slip road joining the motorway) and low down torque.
No improvement in MPG but much more driveable.
Our friend reported a better MPG.

Notes:

(1) MPG calculated by measuring fuel at the pump, brim to brim. Allegedly some add on boxes just fool the ECU to supply extra fuel, so the trip computer calculates MPG from the expected fuelling not the actual (rich) fuelling. When we researched there were many tales of people realising the reported MPG from the onboard computer was very optimistic.

(2) We were told that the engine was tuned for lowest common denominator. That is, poor quality fuel and poor maintenance. This has already been suggested up thread.

Feb 18, 2022
Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9048DF 2016
Celtic tuning Ducato 130

Looking at the web site my main concern would be that the Microsoft software compatibility ranges from Vista (is that still a thing?) to Windows 10.
Both Vista and Windows 7 are now well out of support.
Windows 11 is the latest version.
So it looks as though the software is quite old.

The Ducato compatibility listing finishes at the 2012-2016 model.
Again this suggests a lack of recent development.
[Or they shot the webmaster.]

I would have expected something for post 2016 models, unless you are unable to remap the most recent engines.

Edit: I note that the customer testimonial is "Lorem ipsum" so the webmaster may have heard them coming and run for it.

Jun 29, 2012
Penrith
Funster No
MH
DIMS van conversion
Exp
since 2010
I know I will be getting OH you must tell the insurance company.
If you do find company that will remap it - check the details with your insurance company BEFORE you have it done.

I asked LV if it was okay to remap our Transit and they said "Fine - no problems, let us know when it's been done".

So after the remap I told them and they said "Thank you - that will be an extra £730 for the remaining 10 months of this year.

I had it taken off at the end of the year.

Nov 13, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
30 years
If you do find company that will remap it - check the details with your insurance company BEFORE you have it done.

I asked LV if it was okay to remap our Transit and they said "Fine - no problems, let us know when it's been done".

So after the remap I told them and they said "Thank you - that will be an extra £730 for the remaining 10 months of this year.

I had it taken off at the end of the year.
What a nonsense, you are still restricted to 30 / 40 / 50 / 60 / 70mph. It just means you have the ability to get there a 'little' quicker:(:(:(

Geoff

OP
OP
S

sonar

Free Member
Dec 3, 2021
Funster No
MH
Told my insurance company that it had been remapped they were not interested in the slightest.i stated from what the new settings.

never cost me anymore and I am restricted by law to 60 mph so I can’t see any problems I have not altered any engine parts to increase performance. And if I had I am still only allowed 60 mph .
it’s a motorhome not a sports car.
and had a stage 1 remap …..

Feb 18, 2022
Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9048DF 2016
Celtic tuning Ducato 130

Looking at the web site my main concern would be that the Microsoft software compatibility ranges from Vista (is that still a thing?) to Windows 10.
Both Vista and Windows 7 are now well out of support.
Windows 11 is the latest version.
So it looks as though the software is quite old.

The Ducato compatibility listing finishes at the 2012-2016 model.
Again this suggests a lack of recent development.
[Or they shot the webmaster.]

I would have expected something for post 2016 models, unless you are unable to remap the most recent engines.

Edit: I note that the customer testimonial is "Lorem ipsum" so the webmaster may have heard them coming and run for it.

Just realised that 2016 is the start date of the new Euro 6 engines.
I wonder if a remap might negate the Euro 6 rating?

Jan 1, 2014
France
Funster No
MH
Pilote G691 LCE
Exp
Since 1974
Think you'll find the reason the later engines can't be tampered with is the built in security of the factory software.
Same reason as non Fiat scanner / readers can't or won't work is the built in anti tamper security.
I'm sure there are or will be some very clever people that will find ways to bypass.

OP
OP
S

sonar

Free Member
Dec 3, 2021
Funster No
MH
Think you'll find the reason the later engines can't be tampered with is the built in security of the factory software.
Same reason as non Fiat scanner / readers can't or won't work is the built in anti tamper security.
I'm sure there are or will be some very clever people that will find ways to bypass.

OP
OP
S

sonar

Free Member
Dec 3, 2021
Funster No
MH
In addition to these new tests, it’s been widely believed within the motoring world that the EU is planning to introduce a new Euro 7 emissions standard in the coming years.

were not now in the eu so maybe none of this will apply soon. Who knows.

Nov 9, 2015
Addingham, West Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7099f
Exp
Veteran
Remapping a motorhome .

It has been suggested to me in respect of fuel prices as they are.
That a remap could help with fuel economy and a little extra power. Not much on either.

Is there such a thing as a remap for a Fiat Ducato 2.2. 2003. Diesal engine. ?

Anyone here on the forum had a remap and did it make any difference .

I know I will be getting OH you must tell the insurance company.

And Cost wise may not be regained by fuel savings.
But let’s do this one stage at a time.

There are companies near me that do this sort of thing.
And so far as costs go it will be what it will be.

But the burning question is will it improve fuel and performance or destroy the engine
Over the long or short term.

I have not asked the company that demos the remapping as I expect them to say everything
Would be o.k .

But will it ?
I have a TDI on mine which foes a great job. Look app up and see what it does.
Takes more than 5 mins to fit but CS are really good.

Nov 9, 2015
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7099f
Exp
Veteran
Differing grades of fuel and environments apparently means they have to do a one size fits all approach.

There is also the fact more power means more wear on components.

Also, they can charge less for something with lower power then charge much more for a simple electronic change in power at the factory.

That said, if tuning remaps are so good, I am also in the camp that says the manufacturer would have already sorted it, so I have never bothered.
Having one is great in the Alps!

Nov 9, 2015
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7099f
Exp
Veteran
If you are considering 're-mapping' for more power and economy then you MUST consider TDI Tuning.
Over the last 7 years I have used their 'boxes' on 2 motorhomes (both Fiat based) and a VW Transporter.
They supply Tuning boxes mapped correctly for your own vehicle which are fitted 'in-line' between your fuel and turbo sensor leads. Totally simple to fit...and remove...and offering one 'mapped' setting and then press button adjustments for either more power OR more economy.
I have Always left mine in the 'stock' position.

Improvements are more mpg and more pulling power (torque). The BIG problem is keeping your foot off the 'loud' pedal as the improved performance can be a bit of a buzz.
Driven sensibly our, fairly heavy, A class has gone from around 24-25 mpg to 28-30 mpg. I am Not a slow driver though!

If you sell your vehicle then you can 'easily' remove the box and leads and fit to another vehicle. Just send the box back and TDI charge about £100 for the changeover. I have changed over once.....very simple.

By the way, I am in No Way connected to TDI, nor have I ever received discount from them for recommending their product....Beleive me I have tried.

Isnt the stock position the same as not having the box fitted? 😃

Nov 9, 2015
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7099f
Exp
Veteran
Our 2.2 Ford Puma was upped from 124 to 160 bhp - with lots of torque at 1800 revs.

I asked LV if it would be ok to chip it and they said OK - let us know when you've had it done.

They then charged me an EXTRA £600 -so I ran it for a year and had it returned to it's original spec.

Ours is a SWB low-roof Transit and it flew! The increase in petrol consumption wasn't as spectacular as I'd thought it might be.
Churchill didnt care but noted it down. No extra charge. AF the same who im with now.

Sep 19, 2019
Yeovil
Funster No
MH
Bavaria i740c Allure
Exp
A Class
Isnt the stock position the same as not having the box fitted? 😃
NO!

The Centre/Stock position is the recommended setting from the manufacturers that TDi say is the best compromise between Fuel economy and Performance.

I've had my Caddie van re-mapped and it's ok, but it has to go with the van when I sell it, and it Definitely is not as Smooth as the TDi boxes have been.
Why didn't I put another box on the caddie.......I did a swap with some lipo batteries for the re-map. Cost me very little!

The TDi boxes make 'perfect' sense! End of!

Feb 18, 2022
Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9048DF 2016
Ducato 2016-2019 remap

I have no idea how good this firm is, but it does look as though some firms are offering a remap.

Jul 8, 2016
Carshalton
Funster No
MH
Nuevo II 2010
Exp
Since 1993
Hi, l had our 2005 Fiat Ducato remapped and the difference was noticeable better fuel consumption and more power, l used to get mid 20's mpg, after the remapped was made l got as an average 25-28 mpg, cruising at mid 50's mph, as for power and torque, instead of constantly changing gear, she just pulled, this was on our Swift Sundance 590 RS, from memory it was about £300,

Had our 2013 Boxer based MH re-mapped which improved the power and a small gain in MPG.
Last year I fitted an EGR valve blanking plate, the restrictor type rather than the full blanking, and that made a big difference for little money in pulling power with the turbo spooling up quicker.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back