Reflective Stickers For Mirrors

Discussion in 'Motorhome Accessories' started by Wombles, Aug 18, 2014.

1. Wombles

Wombles Funster

Having plain black Ford driving mirrors that protrude out considerably from our motorhome it seems to be only a matter of time before an oncoming vehicle knocks these as their colour seems to make them invisible! Have seen a few motorhomes with reflective tape stuck to the backs of their mirrors so seems we are not the only ones who think this. Like the idea of white reflective stickers but have only found some small (44mm) ones on the web so wondered what others have found? Need to be flexible stick on ones due to rounded shape of the mirrors. Concerned about how road legal coloured ones would be so will probably go with several of these small white ones but has anyone found any good big weatherproof reflective stickers?

2. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

Solas tape is what you are looking for.

• Like Like x 2
  3. WAG2CRU

WAG2CRU Read Only Funster

"solas" tape from any marine chandlery does the trick.

• Like Like x 1
  4. PhilandMena

PhilandMena Funster

• Like Like x 2
  5. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

• Like Like x 2
  6. mikekaren2

mikekaren2 Funster

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  7. Wombles

Wombles Funster

8. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

We have some 'white' reflective tape which I've had for yonks so hubby's put that down the edge of the mirrors, and some across them too, with a big silver paw print in the middle of them!

• Like Like x 1
  9. MichelleRyall

MichelleRyall Funster

We have already had one beaten off so this advice is very useful, thanks

• Like Like x 1
  10. SUGGY

SUGGY Funster Life Member

I bought self adhesive yellow dayglow from my local " sign man " it was supplied on a 6 inch wide strip about a foot for a around £5 ,
    i cut it into about 40 mm strips to enable me to bend it round the curvature of the Transit mirrors ,
    i put 3 horizontal strips and one vertical at the bottom of the mirror after being hit by a pickup in morocco ,

11. Stewart J

Stewart J Funster

As a recently retired mariner of 40 years Solas tape would be my first choice, this is fitted to life jackets etc etc and has a proven record in the marine sector nothing reflects light better hence it's use throughout the world.

• Like Like x 2
  12. RS_rob

RS_rob Funster

To be honest you can put whatever tape you like on your mirrors but if you happen to be in the wrong place @ the wrong time them you can count on loosing a mirror regardless.

• Like Like x 4
  13. Stewart J

Stewart J Funster

Bright white mirror guards and solas tape, make em obvious :)

• Like Like x 1
  14. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

so you can find the bits to pick up off the road when they shatter on impact:whistle2:

15. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

we are just back from some very narrow roads on the Scottish isles

I noticed most of the HGV's have stainless steel covers that actually stick out even further than the original mirror

Not been aware of such a high proportion in use on 'normal' roads so have made the assumption they help with inevitable impacts on these narrower roadways

Tape may make them visible, but it can look awful even if well applied, covers would be my choice, but risk it is what I actually do, as said earlier tape will not stop it being hit

just my opinion as ever (y)

16. tambo

tambo Read Only Funster

I find breathing in when driving through tight spaces has always worked for me.

That and duct tape

• Like Like x 2
  17. Wombles

Wombles Funster

Not found any covers for Ford Transit mirrors that don't cost more than replacing the mirrors! Just want to make them more visible day & night as too many close shaves for comfort but know it won't protect them in any way if hit. When we towed a caravan oncoming drivers would make way on a narrow road seeing us coming along but they don't bother for our motorhome probably because being low profile it looks like a Transit van but it is quite a bit wider hence the hazard. The solas tape comes in wide strips so should look ok if cut into round edged rectangles with care - could upload a photo once fitted if anyone thinking of doing this but concerned how it will look?

• Like Like x 2
  18. phil1946

phil1946 Funster

I had had similar thoughts about some way of making the offside mirror more visible to other drivers and was thinking that Katie (illustrious leader's daughter of 'Lost Key' fame) might like to make, and sell, 4 to 6 inch reflective yellow 'smiley faces' for us FUN lovers.

19. Wombles

Wombles Funster

IMG_20140831_170026707.jpg IMG_20140831_170048538.jpg IMG_20140831_170131184.jpg IMG_20140831_170105994.jpg
    Solas Tape works really well as it is so reflective - thank you Funsters for recommending this! Bought here http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261549703878?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT . Have cut to length & rounded the edge of 4 strips & they now make the side mirrors noticeable day & night(y):) Also cut a small round one for the end of the Fiamma awning so now at night we will look like a lorry to oncoming vehicles! At least our total width will be more evident to others now. All for just over £5 & we have some spare too. Photos are taken with & without flash. If you like this you could cut yours to whatever shape you like - thought about doing Womble shape but a bit too fiddly!

• Like Like x 4
  20. Wombles

Wombles Funster

Just updating this thread as discussed elsewhere - not bought from these but looks a good price for 1m of 50mm wide Solas tape
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/262108540289
    Will be adding this to our car mirrors on our new mpv as they are black plastic van style ones that protrude quite a bit too.
    Any left over bits would be good stuck on our bikes too :)

• Like Like x 1