Reflective Stickers For Mirrors (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
UPDATE - Over 3 years later & original SOLAS tape still working brilliantly & looks as good as when we fitted it (y)
Buying some more as ideal for our wide car mirrors & folding bikes too - link for current listing at good price £4.95 for 1 metre of 50mm wide tape delivered http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/262741867089

s-l1600.jpg

Mr Wombles also wanted some black tape that reflects white for areas where you don't want silver blobs like bike helmets & found this 3M brand 580 tape http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3M-Scotch...hash=item1e92b56620:m:mloH660lWJ5YQPSSc0Jz4xg £7.35 delivered for 1 metre of 50mm tape but many sizes available & as low as £2.68 depending on width & length of tape required. Photo from the listing:

s-l500.jpg

Their website is https://reflectivesupplies.co.uk & although they don't list 0.5 metre lengths there it is cheaper at £6.30 delivered for 1 metre of 50mm tape (can pay by Paypal) & lots of choice including precut shapes from splats to cubes & ovals (y)

This is a photo off this informative but more expensive eBay listing http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/High-Visibility-Self-Adhesive-3M-Scotchlite-580-Black-Reflective-Tape-for-Bikes-/112018183697?var=&hash=item1a14cdd611:m:mpinAkHApzHLWKXGffX14pw

bike_image_dark_horizontal.jpg

We haven't tried this black tape yet but so long as what is supplied is genuine 3M brand 580 tape it should do what it claims - do love clever products like these! :) We would always choose the SOLAS tape for maximum reflective effect but good to have another option. If using these helps prevent an accident then worth the small outlay & a bit of of cutting out time.

Last edited:

Happy1

Free Member
Jan 30, 2017
Wales
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
12 years
Had same thoughts black wing mirrors and a white cab make the mirrors invisible as in my picture left, went with milenco white covers (they also do chrome effect) about £50 a set in newport caravan centre with 10% discount, now the mirrors stand out and look huge, no guarantee they will not be hit but hey...
Thinking a bit of solas tape will complete the look for night time.

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Thinking a bit of solas tape will complete the look for night time.
It really works as it looks like side lights so the motorhome looks wider to oncoming vehicles (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Happy1

Free Member
Jan 30, 2017
Wales
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
12 years
Also looking to fit some front marker lights as roller team make do with one red/white unit on the back, inserts on overcab for lights but no lights - probably saved a fiver!

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
Be careful if going the stainless covers, they work well for slight contact , maybe save the glass etc If its a larger contact instead of the head fragmenting the whole lot can get ripped off , with the possibility of body damage as well. Re reflective , any diamond grade is as reflective as you get . Colour , any reflective on vehicle gets treated as light for purpose of RVLR 1989 . So Red is out , as front facing. With fluoro yellow diamond grade you will get high daytime vis and also the reflective at night . I did my mirrors with diamond grade 50mm wide alternate white and yellow at angle , thats about as much as you can do , still lost a rear sidemarker a couple of weeks ago in Poland down to velocity of opposing driver , and I had come to total stop !?

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Would only use tape that reflects white on the front of the motorhome to play safe.

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I use conspicuity tape . White for mirrors. Illegal here & fails mot anything else.

3,5€/metre here in the ferreteria
white =front
yellow= sides
Red = rear

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
I did my mirrors with diamond grade 50mm wide alternate white and yellow at angle , thats about as much as you can do , still lost a rear sidemarker a couple of weeks ago in Poland down to velocity of opposing driver , and I had come to total stop !?

Worst thing you can do is stop. You need to force them into the hedge on there side, with a 2' gap on your nearside to frighten them in to thinking it'll be a head on then at the last moment move over. :) Always works (y)

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
Just bought 1m x50mm wide for £2.75 solas off ebay. Best price yet?
Cheers, Dave(y)

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
Worst thing you can do is stop. You need to force them into the hedge on there side, with a 2' gap on your nearside to frighten them in to thinking it'll be a head on then at the last moment move over. :) Always works (y)

If I tried that they would only have about 4' left on their side to start with :ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Maybe this is what @davejen bought...
Thank you - its from the same company that sells the 3M 580 black reflective tape! It is listed as unbranded not 3M but SOLAS standard so should work the same just can't vouch for its longevity but at £2.75 instead of £4.95 that I just paid for the 3M one it's good value (y)

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
You can have any colour you like facing front except red. Conversely, facing back only red is permitted.
Seems stupid really if you come across orange/yellow at night & assume it is a vehicle over 6m across the road ? :(That's why it isn't legal here to have any colour except white facing forward , red to the rear & orange/yellow sides.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
I lost a mirror to a truck passing me in a layby and I don’t think tape could’ve helped there. Most times it takes two to cause such damage, so I’m not sure why it’s always claimed to be the other guy’s fault.

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
I lost a mirror to a truck passing me in a layby and I don’t think tape could’ve helped there. Most times it takes two to cause such damage, so I’m not sure why it’s always claimed to be the other guy’s fault.
I lost a mirror to a wall on the road out to Hawkshead. It was DEFINITELY the other guy's fault. :whistle:

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
In UK it is OK to use amber/yellow forward facing its just not red forward or white rearward , I used the yellow for daytime vis and the white for night although both are reflective. Larger the blocks the better as was found when designing the Emergency services "battenburg" livery.

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Thank you - its from the same company that sells the 3M 580 black reflective tape! It is listed as unbranded not 3M but SOLAS standard so should work the same just can't vouch for its longevity but at £2.75 instead of £4.95 that I just paid for the 3M one it's good value (y)
IMPORTANT UPDATE : The SOLAS tape I just received for £4.95 isn't 3M brand after all & arrived badly creased :( so anyone thinking of buying this should go with the £2.75 unbranded option as found by @davejen & @Margaritaman above (y)
Alternatively a more expensive option T-ISS brand from the seller I used years ago http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Self-Adhe...460962?hash=item3ac339fe62:g:SFcAAMXQwwlSDc8K - the writing on it is less distinct so may look better when fitted.

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
Because the person coming from the other direction usually has a space on their inside that a cyclist can get through.If they aren't dragging the hedge then they are too far over.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
What I’m suggesting is that reflective tape on the front of your mirror housing won’t always solve the problem (if struck from behind or if you meet a wall unexpectedly). It will help them to be noticed in most other cases, but I hope not in a way that turns them into a target!

When accidents involve two people, many seem to expect the other to have taken greater avoiding action. If approaching a trucker on a mission and in a robust vehicle that doesn’t matter to them, you should realise that the chance of them pulling over may not happen much. Responsibility for the consequences should be shared, however, as neither party is likely to be without blame. Even in the case of a wall, there’s a small possibility that the person who put it there could become accountable.

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Even in the case of a wall, there’s a small possibility that the person who put it there could become accountable.
Ha ha - not in my case, it has been there for hundreds of years :D

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
True, it would be difficult to prosecute in cases like that, but there could still be a proportion of blame.

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
Received mine today, has "SOLAS co38" printed on it, but not 3M, price included post, so still best buy!
Cheers, Dave(y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back