Refillable LPG bottles - possibly daft question (1 Viewer)

David Guthrie

Free Member
Oct 21, 2016
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Hi-Top
Exp
All the stuff I've seen about refillable LPG systems seem to involve permanent installations, which might be a challenge on my vehicle.
Is it possible to just detach from the regulator, take the bottle outside the vehicle to refill it, just like changing a regular bottle?
David G

OP
OP
David Guthrie

David Guthrie

Free Member
Oct 21, 2016
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Hi-Top
Exp
@tonka
Many thanks for that. Yes, their distribution isn't wonderful, though they do seem to be trying to expand the network.
I'll keep an eye on developments.
I guess the other types like Gasit and Gaslow don't support out-of-van filling (or running the filler pipe into the van!)
David G

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I guess the other types like Gasit and Gaslow don't support out-of-van filling (or running the filler pipe into the van!)
You guess right :)
If you want to know whether permanent installation is possible in your van have a word with Chris at Autogas 2000. They are in Thirsk so not too far from you.

Mar 11, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2010

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
(or running the filler pipe into the van!)
David G

In the living space would be a huge no no. There is a big escape of gas when you remove the filler ( using the UK filler ) so you would turn your van in a bomb.

Inside an external door gas locker is technically OK but not liked by filling stations.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
just open your car boot and fill them . dont wave the bottle around .
nobody really cares .
estate cars are better you can leave the hatch on first catch and any gas falls out as you drive off .
but side door of a van works .

Floydster

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 21, 2013
Where ever I lay my hat
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A lifetime
The best one I saw was when filling in France last month, a chap pulls up the other side of the pump in his car, his wife is sitting on the back seat with her arm around the bottle next to her with the window wound down and the chap proceeds to fill it ...:Eeek::Eeek:

OP
OP
David Guthrie

David Guthrie

Free Member
Oct 21, 2016
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Hi-Top
Exp
So it looks as though off-van filling is okay - with either Gaslow or Safefill. Looks like the way to go, though locations that allow direct filling appear to be not so abundant. It's a possibility for next summer travelling season, so no rush!
Again, thanks to all!

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
All the stuff I've seen about refillable LPG systems seem to involve permanent installations, which might be a challenge on my vehicle.
Is it possible to just detach from the regulator, take the bottle outside the vehicle to refill it, just like changing a regular bottle?
David G

Yes that is possible. I have changed from Gaslow to SafeFill (to reduce weight) and now have the option to take cylinders out and refill from my car. Luckily (?) there is a local place that is reasonably cheap and happy to refill loose cylinders.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
It would still be worth having a word with Chris at Autogas. :) Remember you get Funster discount but let him know you are a funster before he quotes you.

OP
OP
David Guthrie

David Guthrie

Free Member
Oct 21, 2016
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Hi-Top
Exp
Further research reveals that Gasit consider that direct-filling is unsafe and frowned upon by HSE and the UKPLG organisation; they suggest it might be illegal.
They do, however, provide a compliant 'in-locker' kit which incorporates a bracketed locker fitting and a length of hose which can be led out of the vehicle and linked up to the filler nozzle. Apparently, this overcomes the objections of filling station staff who might otherwise forbid direct filling. It wcan also be used on Gaslow cylinders, but not Safefill.
Mind you, one wonders what the BBQ crowd who want to use Gaslow cylinders are supposed to do...

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
just open your car boot and fill them . dont wave the bottle around .
nobody really cares .
estate cars are better you can leave the hatch on first catch and any gas falls out as you drive off .
but side door of a van works .
Sorry Alan but its that kind of mentality that has caused safe systems be become a problem also

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
how else do you fill the safe bottles .
safe gas bottles can be used in portable gas fires in the house . so if they are strapped in the fire and we take the fire to the pump do we have to have a silly gas fill point fitted to the fire cabinet.
after all thats what seems to be the way with m,homes .
refillable bottles arent just for m,homes .

Last edited:

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
There is a growing community of SafeFill bottle owners who manage to fill them somewhere, somehow. As they are portable, it easier to do than for a fixed system.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
folk with fifth wheelers and big caravans also use them . they arent going to be moving the trailers etc just to fill the bottle . they ha ve tow vehicles for going shopping etc .
mind do the big m,homes want to move off sites to fill bottles /
after all thats why they aframe small cars .

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back