Recommendations for internet in Spain this winter?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by muddywellies, Oct 19, 2015.

1. muddywellies

muddywellies

I am currently around Munich (very wet and too cold), before heading west and south to Spain/Portugal for my winter migration. I have no land line or internet link in the UK. But I want to use my laptop online for a couple of hours daily. What are peoples' recommendations?
    Migration? My mother's maiden name was "Bird" and I think that it's no coincidence. :) Thank you all in anticipation

• Like Like x 2
  2. John & Joan

John & Joan Funster

We use a Carrefour Data Solo (data only) SIM. This works on the Orange network. It costs 1 euro a day for 100Mb of data at full speed. It then drops to 128 bps. Cost is 3 euro per week if unused. This can be purchased for the larger Carrefour stores in Spain (not in France).

• Like Like x 3
  3. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

If you want to properly migrate then you will have to follow the storks down to Gibraltar and hop over to Africa! Although I suspect the storks from Germany probably go via the Bosphorous, but sadly following their route will take you to some decidedly unfriendly places these days. :)

• Like Like x 3
  4. tonka

tonka Funster Life Member

Get a Mifi...
    £25 from Argos, if you have family / friends they could get one and post out to you.
    Can be unlocked for 99p with a code off ebay. Then just buy a local Data sim when you need it.
    Several available for Spain and sure same applies for Portugal.

• Like Like x 2
  5. BwB

BwB Funster Life Member

Previous years I find a wander around any town will reveal a small phone shop with a choice of data sims to go in my mifi device. Normally around 10euro for 2GB a month, which is enough for me. Top up online. Each year it's been a different data provider but all have had good coverage. This year my Three simple covers Spain so will use that, it's been giving good service in France so far.

• Like Like x 3
  6. muddywellies

muddywellies

Thanks for your replies. But perhaps I have lost the plot here. I was asking about internet access for my laptop. And I understand SIM cards are a phone thing am I wrong? I was thinking that I would need a USB-based piece of kit. Am I wrong or is my misunderstanding the terminology here? Please clarify. Thank you.

7. Clickem

Clickem Funster

You will need a SIM card in either device, probably a DATA SIM rather than a phone SIM. Specifically for downloading Data and not for making phone calls

A USB stick such as the one from Carrefour contains a SIM card and plugs into the laptop

A MIFI also takes a SIM card, but it is like a mobile phone in that it has a rechargeable battery, but it creates a WIFI that you connect to. Best method if you want to connect more than one device.

Earlier this year, in Spain, we used a MIFI and Lebarra SIM, bought the SIM from the local computer/phone shop

8. travelbunyip

travelbunyip Funster

We were in Spain for 6 weeks this year and we used Vodafone which cost us 10 euros for 10 days and it was 1.2Gb. We had it in a phone and could hotspot it to other devices. We were very happy with the coverage. Equates to a euro per day. We used it when WiFi was not available. We never used the data up in the allocated time.

9. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

If you get a MiFi unit you put the data card in that.
    The unit then becomes your own personal WiFi hot spot and you can use your laptop, tablet or what ever you like to access the internet via it.

10. muddywellies

muddywellies

A MIFI unit? Whats that? Looks like I need to visit a laptop store when I get over there and do some homework. Thanks guys.

11. ukbill

ukbill Funster

where r u heading in spain if u are in benidorm come see me pitch 698 el raco will take to paul in market get u sorted

• Like Like x 1
  12. sdc77

sdc77 Funster

Better still. . Just search these forums... oodles of advice and experience

13. Flamenca

Flamenca Funster Life Member

I have used a Vodafone Spain SIM in dongle and mifi units. They have alternative tariffs and the best deals used to be 10 Euros/month for IGB which is adequate for email and light browsing or, alternatively, a 'visitors' SIM which was about 19 Euros and lasted 3 months. However, I have checked their web site for the current offers.

14. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

Here's one type of mifi.

There are many different models, some very expensive. Mine was about £40 but you can plug an external aerial into it (£10) and this can make a big difference in marginal areas. You can get 4g versions as well but on payg I am not convinced being able to get data very quickly is a good thing! You might click on a video by mistake and before you know it your allowance has gone. 3g is fine for general web browsing.

15. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Are you going to stay on sites .. ?
    If so, many now have wifi.. and there are plenty of free wifi around towns..

personally never used a data sim .. but then again.. not bothered about the net while away .. if we have it.. fine.. if not.. no worries.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Don Quixote

Don Quixote Funster

17. vwalan

vwalan Funster

• Like Like x 1
  18. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

19. vwalan

vwalan Funster

i use one at home as well.
    sometimes in spain villages allow 30mins a day.
    or airports allow similar.
    we park close to them sometimes . these lick up over quite a distance so inder the flight path etc works fine .

20. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

If you go with 3 in the UK they allow use in Spain (and 17 other countries) using the allocation on your contract at no extra charge. I have a 3 SIM in a MiFI on PAYGO and also a contract SIM in my phone (£8 a month) which also allows tethering (unfortunately my phone doesn't have the facility to tether but it would be OK with 3 if it did)