Recomendations on Sat Nav

Discussion in 'GPS Navigation' started by wizzer59, Apr 20, 2009.

1. wizzer59

wizzer59 Funster

Hi Everyone
    Just wondered what sat nav everyone has found to be most useful in a motorhome????.

I have a Garmin nuvi 660 for my car and it is fantastic but the one thing I do not like is, I can't seem to stop it taking me down realy narrow country lanes:Angry: which I can see being a real problem in a MH (When we eventualy get one)

Tim

2. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

I think Geo's post on This Thread four days ago is probably the most accurate. There isn't a sat nav on the market which can be trusted not to take you down narrow lanes.

I've had a TomTom since it was bought for me as a Christmas present in 2005. It's OK so far as it goes but I've found map accuracy disappointing so have continued to use road atlases and A to Z books in conjunction with it.

Recent investigations of what is on the market appear to show that out of date maps are not confined to TomTom. If I were you I'd stick with what you have but check out suggested routes in a road atlas before setting off to avoid narrow lanes.

Graham

3. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Agree with Graham ..

I have a TT One XL Europe and find it excellent, wouldn't be without it but it MUST be used with a degree of common sense.. it is not a panacea to routing .. always check the route using a paper map.. and when routing, use fastest rather than shortest ..

4. derekfaeberwick

derekfaeberwick Read Only Funster

I use TomTom also. Don't know about the Garmin,never used one,but as Jim says on the TomTom use fastest route and you wont be far off. Use mine in an artic also,and with a little nouse you wont go wrong. :Cool: well, you shouldn't. :Doh:

5. colpot

colpot Read Only Funster

We use Garmin 350 and had the same issue - it seemed to like roads that were 6'6" except for access. But I switched it to Truck mode this weekend when we went to Peasemarsh and it seemed to avoid the narrower roads, though time will tell!:Smile:

6. wizzer59

wizzer59 Funster

Hi Guys
    Thanks for the answers, it has input for trucks, buses, etc but none of that seems to matter it'll still try and take me down some silly roads:Eek!:, can,t realy fault it other than that and would not be without it, just wondered if someone had found one that they were totally happy with, and also looking at a map is not going to necessarily tell me if the road is ok for MH or is it?
    Tim

Ps Oops posted before reading Grahams thread, thanks for that Graham very interesting and just about answers everything realy.:Blush:

Last edited: Apr 20, 2009
  7. Mac_fillpot

Mac_fillpot Deleted User

Wizzer59,

I think you will find that your Garmin 660 may change the icon to a bus or truck etc, but IT DOES NOT change the routing for that vehicle.

The only GPS on the UK market at present is Snooper Truckmate - this requires you to input width, length, weight etc.

Garmin have a product in USA, the Garmin 465T which "may" come to the UK.

Unitil you buy a GPS which asks you to input your weight, width, length etc etc, you will invariably, if blind, end up in a road you will get stuck in. !!!

Be warned.

Trev

8. madbluemad

madbluemad

I agree with everybody else. If you set off on a trip with only your sat nav too get you there you may well end up in troube.

Use a map in conjunction with your sat nav and you reduce the risk. When driving and taking directions from the sat nav, use your nouse, if it doesnt look right or feel right its probabley a duck :Rofl1::Rofl1:

Cheers

Jim
    :thumb:

9. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Another point applicable to those of who use CC sites is to take notice of the directions which they give - may seem a long way round sometimes but they have been thought about and worked out for large vehicles.

Graham

10. wizzer59

wizzer59 Funster

Hi Colpot

I think Ive tried it on that and I don't think it maid any difference but let me know how you get on though ok.
    Tim