Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
Hi Everyone
Just wondered what sat nav everyone has found to be most useful in a motorhome????.

I have a Garmin nuvi 660 for my car and it is fantastic but the one thing I do not like is, I can't seem to stop it taking me down realy narrow country lanes:Angry: which I can see being a real problem in a MH (When we eventualy get one)

Tim

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I think Geo's post on Link Removed four days ago is probably the most accurate. There isn't a sat nav on the market which can be trusted not to take you down narrow lanes.

I've had a TomTom since it was bought for me as a Christmas present in 2005. It's OK so far as it goes but I've found map accuracy disappointing so have continued to use road atlases and A to Z books in conjunction with it.

Recent investigations of what is on the market appear to show that out of date maps are not confined to TomTom. If I were you I'd stick with what you have but check out suggested routes in a road atlas before setting off to avoid narrow lanes.

Graham

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Agree with Graham ..

I have a TT One XL Europe and find it excellent, wouldn't be without it but it MUST be used with a degree of common sense.. it is not a panacea to routing .. always check the route using a paper map.. and when routing, use fastest rather than shortest ..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

derekfaeberwick

Free Member
Dec 1, 2007
Berwick
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
9 Years
Agree with Graham ..

I have a TT One XL Europe and find it excellent, wouldn't be without it but it MUST be used with a degree of common sense.. it is not a panacea to routing .. always check the route using a paper map.. and when routing, use fastest rather than shortest ..

I use TomTom also. Don't know about the Garmin,never used one,but as Jim says on the TomTom use fastest route and you wont be far off. Use mine in an artic also,and with a little nouse you wont go wrong. :Cool: well, you shouldn't. :Doh:

colpot

Free Member
Jan 11, 2009
West Sussex in England
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Nearly a year
We use Garmin 350 and had the same issue - it seemed to like roads that were 6'6" except for access. But I switched it to Truck mode this weekend when we went to Peasemarsh and it seemed to avoid the narrower roads, though time will tell!:Smile:

OP
OP
wizzer59
Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
Hi Guys
Thanks for the answers, it has input for trucks, buses, etc but none of that seems to matter it'll still try and take me down some silly roads:whatthe:, can,t realy fault it other than that and would not be without it, just wondered if someone had found one that they were totally happy with, and also looking at a map is not going to necessarily tell me if the road is ok for MH or is it?
Tim

Ps Oops posted before reading Grahams thread, thanks for that Graham very interesting and just about answers everything realy.:Blush:

Last edited:
M

Mac_fillpot

Deleted User
Hi Guys
Thanks for the answers, it has input for trucks, buses, etc but none of that seems to matter it'll still try and take me down some silly roads:whatthe:, can,t realy fault it other than that and would not be without it, just wondered if someone had found one that they were totally happy with, and also looking at a map is not going to necessarily tell me if the road is ok for MH or is it?
Tim

Ps Oops posted before reading Grahams thread, thanks for that Graham very interesting and just about answers everything realy.:Blush:

Wizzer59,

I think you will find that your Garmin 660 may change the icon to a bus or truck etc, but IT DOES NOT change the routing for that vehicle.

The only GPS on the UK market at present is Snooper Truckmate - this requires you to input width, length, weight etc.

Garmin have a product in USA, the Garmin 465T which "may" come to the UK.

Unitil you buy a GPS which asks you to input your weight, width, length etc etc, you will invariably, if blind, end up in a road you will get stuck in. !!!

Be warned.

Trev

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
I agree with everybody else. If you set off on a trip with only your sat nav too get you there you may well end up in troube.

Use a map in conjunction with your sat nav and you reduce the risk. When driving and taking directions from the sat nav, use your nouse, if it doesnt look right or feel right its probabley a duck :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Cheers

Jim
:thumb:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Another point applicable to those of who use CC sites is to take notice of the directions which they give - may seem a long way round sometimes but they have been thought about and worked out for large vehicles.

Graham

OP
OP
wizzer59
Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
We use Garmin 350 and had the same issue - it seemed to like roads that were 6'6" except for access. But I switched it to Truck mode this weekend when we went to Peasemarsh and it seemed to avoid the narrower roads, though time will tell!:Smile:

Hi Colpot

I think Ive tried it on that and I don't think it maid any difference but let me know how you get on though ok.
Tim

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back