Rear cycle rack overhang concerns

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Dave and Ginny, Oct 6, 2016.

1. Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny Funster

Looks worse and bigger with the covers on! Seems like a big overhang and I'm concerned on the legality as I meander down to Benidorm next week! Yet to go to a weigh bridge, but should be OK on the weight.

Wheelbase is 3.20 metre
    Rear axle to end of van 1.80 metre
    Tricycle and rack from rear of van 1 metre

IMG_1287.jpg

IMG_1284.jpg

IMG_1286.jpg

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. emmitdb

emmitdb Funster

Thought this might be of interest to you.[​IMG]
    (diagram courtesy of Caravan Guard Insurance)

What it does is provide you with a formula for working out what the effect of putting a load beyond the rear extremity of the van.
    ie. If you put a load of, say 40kgs at the rearmost point of your carrier (as shown in your beautiful scale drawing (sorry, couldn't resist) it will have an increased effect of the load imparted on the rear wheels. ie bigger than 40kgs.

Your carrier is legal in terms of length of overhang. You might want to work out what the effect of the load on the carrier is going to do to the rear axle load.
    There will also be a reduction in the load of your front axle because the increased weight beyond the rear axle will have the effect of lifting the front axle (not totally!!!)of it's normal load.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. Tootles

Tootles Funster

You haven't got a problem with that. The law considers that as a small trailer, (but without the associated speed restrictions). As long as your lights all work, your number plate is not obscured, then that's fine. The only problem you may encounter is on the ferry, if your exceeding your stated length. In that case, bung the rear bike and rack inside until you cross over.

4. Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny Funster

The rack comes in at 15kg and the trike 30 kg and we are usually well below the overall and individual axle weights on previous weigh bridge visits. Previously there would have been Ginny's electric bike which was about 26kg. I realise it will put weight on the rear axle and take it from the front where some changes in other loading taken I think it will be OK. But I shall be visiting the weigh bridge.

It's more the overhang and the 60% ruling that I'm concerned over to be honest :(

5. Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny Funster

I did think of that one ;) I booked on the ferry at 7 metres and we're normally just under 6 metres so should be fine Tootles. Surprisingly it seemed to come in at the same price?

• Like Like x 1
  6. emmitdb

emmitdb Funster

I should think that providing that you don't draw attention to yourself you've more chance of winning the lottery than finding any Police Officer who would know that there was such a rule as the 60% overhang.

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny Funster

I do hope your right :). It looks like a bigger lump with the covers on...but if it's not pouring with rain I'd prefer to take them off as I can also see whats going on through the back window and camera!

8. Tootles

Tootles Funster

I think that may be the time of year.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Langtoftlad

Langtoftlad Funster Life Member

Is that the City Trike from Powered Bicycles you said you were getting?
    Because I thought it was 'folding'
    Or is that pic of it folded, or was it an issue getting a carrier to fit?

• Like Like x 1
  10. Speve

Speve Funster

You'll be alright with the overhang we did it year before last with trike on the back had no problems from the law, just remember you have that extra meter on when reversing and turning.
    Get on and enjoy your trip and stop worrying(y)(y);)

• Like Like x 1
  11. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

Looks perfectly acceptable to me.. And I have had all sorts hanging off the back over the years !
    You have all the basics covered with the rig.. It is not as if there is any real weight involved either (y)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. martin2603

martin2603 Funster

You are allowed 60percent of the wheel base as rear overhang beyond the back axle on con and use. You can have an extra overhang of up to 1 meter ie cycle rack. without extra lights but need to be marked with warning triangle . Over I meter need full trailerboard ..

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny Funster

It is the City Trike and the carrier is from Pendle Engineering. The carrier is for the trike non-folded. Folded would probably be better if being transported in a garage. Pleased with the both the trike and the carrier, both nicely engineered.

• Like Like x 2
  14. gus-lopez

gus-lopez Funster

Hope the rules are different here then as I have a wheelbase of 2,35m & an overhang from centre of rear axle to back of 1,51m .:LOL:

• Like Like x 1
  15. busby

busby Funster

I you booked with Brittany you should have declared six metres plus cycle rack which is true,,,Looks good,,no worries there,,,BUSBY,,

• Like Like x 2
  16. Chrisy

Chrisy Funster

Only hassle possibly might be Brittany. We are 7.4m so booked 8m plus a bike rack. Came up to us at St Malo and measured us saying we were over 8m. They pulled us out of the queue and made us board last. Right at the back of the ship but in acres of space. Couldn't work out their problem.

17. Adbt

Adbt Funster

Where do you get that the last measurement is only one metre ?

18. Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny Funster

Our van is 5.9 metres Phil so when I booked I booked for 7 metres to be on the safe side. No good really booking as 6 metres with a cycle rack as it doesn't take that extra entire metre into account does it.

19. Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny Funster

It is a metre...the rack from Pendle is a little over a metre but once I had assembled and fitted the trike I realised I could hack a bit off the end. So from the back of my van to lights on the rack is 1 metre.

20. Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny Funster

That seems crazy...I would be having a right fit on them! They can measure us as much as they like and if they come up with anything over 7metres they are using a dodgy tape measure!