Rear cycle rack overhang concerns (1 Viewer)

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Hilarious . Don't give up your day job . (y)
Well if the overall length is 7 metres and the van is 6 metres it looks like you need SPECSAVERS and its not so hilarious,,,BUSBY :LOL::LOL::LOL:

Marcus75

Free Member
Sep 12, 2016
southampton
Funster No
MH
HYMER b544
Exp
new
Looks worse and bigger with the covers on! Seems like a big overhang and I'm concerned on the legality as I meander down to Benidorm next week! Yet to go to a weigh bridge, but should be OK on the weight.

Wheelbase is 3.20 metre
Rear axle to end of van 1.80 metre
Tricycle and rack from rear of van 1 metre

View attachment 127755

View attachment 127756

View attachment 127757

Hi
Can I ask what rack you have on the back of your Hymer and also what type of tricycle that is?
My seven year old daughter is disabled but can ride a trike like the one below. However getting it into the Hymer is impossible, so I wonder if the rack that you have might work? Also what trike is that as she is getting older and heavier! We use a Weehoo as per the second photo, but I think she really only has another year or so on that!
trike.jpg

weehoo.jpg

OP
OP
Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
Hi
Can I ask what rack you have on the back of your Hymer and also what type of tricycle that is?
My seven year old daughter is disabled but can ride a trike like the one below. However getting it into the Hymer is impossible, so I wonder if the rack that you have might work? Also what trike is that as she is getting older and heavier! We use a Weehoo as per the second photo, but I think she really only has another year or so on that!

Hi Marcus, sorry for taking a while to get back to you but there are a number of considerations, I went in a little blind but fortunately have just got away with it concerning the van and carrying the extra load.

First of all the trike. We're very pleased with it, nicely engineered but ours is probably the last one with a throttle which we specifically wanted for Ginny. All other will now be peddle assist only. (But you could always ask on this score ;)).

Link Removed

I searched around for a tricycle carrier but there are not too many to choose from. I then came across this one on eBay and it looked good and at a reasonable price. I found the company on line and had a chat to them about my requirements. Again, very impressed with the engineering on the product and a good company to deal with. I ordered over the phone in the end as they don't currently have it on their web site. Arrived in a couple of days. You assemble it yourself but it's very easy. It goes without saying that you do need a towbar for this rack and for motorhomes the 'Behind the Ball' is recommended as opposed to the 'Direct fitting on the ball'.

The eBay add is...

Link Removed

...and the company web site is...

http://www.pendle-bike.co.uk/index.php

Finally and I will now add most importantly!!! Check your van gross weight loading and particularly the rear axle. We visited a weigh bridge yesterday and I was completely taken by surprise on how the trike and carrier have bumped up my rear axle. We're only 3400kg anyway with 1700kg on front axle and 1900 on the rear. My back axle when loaded previously has been under 1700kg but yesterday it was 1920kg...20 kilo over! Overall we were 3360kg. Hopefully moving a few items forward will sort me out! The weighbridge does round up by 20kg so I may have only been over by a kilo or two! The Trike and rack come in at about 65kg. Worth doing the maths on it!

http://www.caravanguard.co.uk/news/how-to-calculate-your-motorhome’s-safe-weight-limits-4104/

Did a 180 mile drive yesterday and after the first few miles I had forgotten it was even on the back...wary though when leaving the tesco garage and reversing!

Regards
dave

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
Hi Marcus, sorry for taking a while to get back to you but there are a number of considerations, I went in a little blind but fortunately have just got away with it concerning the van and carrying the extra load.

First of all the trike. We're very pleased with it, nicely engineered but ours is probably the last one with a throttle which we specifically wanted for Ginny. All other will now be peddle assist only. (But you could always ask on this score ;)).

Link Removed

I searched around for a tricycle carrier but there are not too many to choose from. I then came across this one on eBay and it looked good and at a reasonable price. I found the company on line and had a chat to them about my requirements. Again, very impressed with the engineering on the product and a good company to deal with. I ordered over the phone in the end as they don't currently have it on their web site. Arrived in a couple of days. You assemble it yourself but it's very easy. It goes without saying that you do need a towbar for this rack and for motorhomes the 'Behind the Ball' is recommended as opposed to the 'Direct fitting on the ball'.

The eBay add is...

Link Removed

Finally and I will now add most importantly!!! Check your van gross weight loading and particularly the rear axle. We visited a weigh bridge yesterday and I was completely taken by surprise on how the trike and carrier have bumped up my rear axle. We're only 3400kg anyway with 1700kg on front axle and 1900 on the rear. My back axle when loaded previously has been under 1700kg but yesterday it was 1920kg...20 kilo over! Overall we were 3360kg. Hopefully moving a few items forward will sort me out! The weighbridge does round up by 20kg so I may have only been over by a kilo or two! The Trike and rack come in at about 65kg but I estimate the fulcrum effect could make it something like 150kg in reality. Worth doing the maths on it!

http://www.caravanguard.co.uk/news/how-to-calculate-your-motorhome’s-safe-weight-limits-4104/

Did a 180 mile drive yesterday and after the first few miles I had forgotten it was even on the back...wary though when leaving the tesco garage and reversing!

Regards
dave

Oct 18, 2014
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B598 PL
Exp
Since 2013

Link Removed

The eBay add is...

Link Removed

Finally and I will now add most importantly!!! Check your van gross weight loading and particularly the rear axle. We visited a weigh bridge yesterday and I was completely taken by surprise on how the trike and carrier have bumped up my rear axle. We're only 3400kg anyway with 1700kg on front axle and 1900 on the rear. My back axle when loaded previously has been under 1700kg but yesterday it was 1920kg...20 kilo over! Overall we were 3360kg. Hopefully moving a few items forward will sort me out! The weighbridge does round up by 20kg so I may have only been over by a kilo or two! The Trike and rack come in at about 65kg. Worth doing the maths on it!

Regards
dave
Sounds great! Great info too

Marcus75

Free Member
Sep 12, 2016
southampton
Funster No
MH
HYMER b544
Exp
new

Link Removed

The eBay add is...

Link Removed

Regards
dave
Hi Dave
Many thanks for this very helpful. Luckily our new hymer has already got a tow bar on it, I'm also tempted with pulling a small trailer and putting bikes on that, so exploring all ideas at the moment. We are also played up at 3.5 tonnes. Our daughter is getting a bigger wheelchair shortly as well but should be fairly lightweight,. Lots to think about and work for out!
Thank you for responding
Cheers
Marcus

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back