Re map or not

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by sally47, Jan 12, 2016.

1. sally47

sally47 Funster

I have a fiat 2.8 chieftain tag 2006 five speed and very happy plodding along at 50 or 60 but it does labour in fifth gear and been advised to have a re map as this would give me a bit extra torque anyone with experience or advice please been quoted 300 pounds

2. jonegood

jonegood Funster

definitely yes.

Done properly it will eradicate the 200rpm flat spot. It will transform it

Jon

3. dave newell lvs

dave newell lvs Trader-Vehicle Services

I suspect you mean 2000 rpm, but its not really a flat spot, just a bit of turbo lag. Yes a remap can help to minimise this but be aware that on a heavy vehicle increasing the torque can lead to premature clutch failure. Ask Forrestboy about his.

D.

4. injebreck99

injebreck99 Funster

A correctly done remap will transform any motorhome, I stress the correctly.
    I am very happy with the results of our remap, £300 sounds about right, that's what I paid.

5. PeteH

PeteH Funster

I probably already know what the answer is. But indulge me.

Most remap`s are carried out For "boy racers" to get one set of traffic lights ahead of each other. What does remapping, what is really a "Basic" Truck diesel Achieve?. when applied to a Motor-home, Mine (X250) seems to progress OK in it`s basic form, so what, apart from potentially increasing the stress on the Engine, would re mapping produce?. AND importantly is it cost effective?. Right, the forum is open?--------- Go!.

Pete

6. funflair

funflair Funster Life Member

Hi Pete

Well it certainly doesn't make your MH into a race truck and you a "boy racer" it might be a basic diesel truck but that does not mean that it can't run a bit sweeter with a bit more torque and a bit more power, my co driver commented that from her seat thsat the engine felt and sounded smoother and quieter and yes it does drive nicer but of course it should. Some people will promise you better MPG but I wont do that as I am not convinced, I understand that with anything engine included you get out relative to what you put in, I would say ours is certainly no worse though.

Yes if you have a small engine with a weak clutch this is a good way to finish it off.

Buyer beware, but I would do it on the right vehicle.

Martin

• Like Like x 2
  7. GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY Funster

How do you actually know what a remap is? Somebody comes along and sticks a laptop in with loads of bits on the screen and half an hour later says that it all, pay the money. I did not notice the slightest difference in mine other than the placebo affect, I thought it was going better but the fuel consumption went up, so was I just pushing the throttle harder?
    Don't know and can't tell they might all be a load of con artists. can't tell that either. Fords do there upgrades by changing turbo to variable blades and also fit different injector with a software change to keep it all straight, can you just hope that the software will do it by itself, maybe they do fill in the low points on the engine graph to get rid of the flat spots caused by emission requirement of every market that the vehicle is sold into, maybe not, VW put some in their cars to beat the US rules and look at the fuss, that hole in the performance made those cars undriveable with a hole in the performance, right where the testing would be done and where most people would drive on the road. Drivers would not like their cars if they were put to standard test conditions setting.

8. andy63

andy63 Funster

I Run a modified map on my current van (mwb transit mk7 ).. The current map is only for a modest increase in power and torque. The main reason was to delete the egr function from the ecu...
    I've had the van over 5 years and most of that time I've had it running with a modified map and in my opinion it drives better...
    Things to bear in mind ...If the vehicle is under warranty and visits the dealer... If they have ecu updates to do you will loose the map... so bear that in mind and ask if that happens what the cost of a reinstall would be. my way round that was to have a device that allows me to return to the original file and remove the modified map...then reload it later...
    That option may not be available from all remappers and on the latest engines...not sure..
    Ta Andy. .

• Like Like x 1
  9. funflair

funflair Funster Life Member

The guy that did ours offered a full reinstate and refund if I was not happy with it.

Martin

10. sally47

sally47 Funster

Thanks for all the comments don't intend to be a boy racer nor decimate the clutch just want to eliminate that dead spot at about 50 mph when I'm trying to overtake a juggernaut against the wind going to have it done next week with service at elite will let you know how it goes

11. tonka

tonka Funster Life Member

On my previous van.. 2005 2.8JTD 4100kg.. I was lucky that my son was having his car re-mapped and the guy offered to do the van for £100 as he was already there :)
    At the time I did a regular run to Holland in the motorhome to buy stock (no not that type of stock !) and the big hill on the M20 heading back towards London always dragged me right down. The re-map changed that and gave a lot more "oomph", so certainly made a difference. Cant say there were any changes to MPG.
    One thing that did happen it encouraged me to accelerate harder at lights and uphills, so in effect that probably stopped any MPG improvement.

• Like Like x 1
  12. mike mcglynn

mike mcglynn Funster Life Member

Hi Sally I had my remap done at a show a few years ago on a 2.8 jtd manual 2006 Ducato it made a terrific difference to the way that I used to drive it in as much as the gear changes were a lot less and the engine seemed to run a lot smoother, I cant say that fuel mpg improved but my enjoyment of driving did as I could move quicker on the motorway for overtaking hgvs and the like, which made life a little easier knowing that you had a reserve of power when required.

13. rolandrat

rolandrat Funster

Totally agree with the above about clutch failure. This happened to a friend of mine and after two failures he changed his motorhome.

14. Stealaway

Stealaway Funster

15. injebreck99

injebreck99 Funster

My engine, 2.3 130 bhp is vastly improved, much quieter and smoother and I am 2-3 mpg better off as well, less gear changing is probably the cause.

• Like Like x 1
  16. jonegood

jonegood Funster

I think its makes a big difference to the 2.8jtd as per the OP.

is comparing it to other engines relevant?

• Like Like x 1
  17. GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY Funster

Still got the money though

18. PeteH

PeteH Funster

Ok, so here`s my thoughts. IF remapping would result in a flatter torque curve, and bring the Max torque to (roughly) 2200 rpm where I currently do most of my Driving / cruising. I could see the point, However, most of what I have read, seen, and heard, is to do with an increase of Power?. To my mind, increasing the power is unlikely to make the vehicle handle better. It may go Faster. but increased power means increased stress` on the engine, and it`s cooling systems etc;, (thermodynamics) which may not be capable of handling it, and therefore, shorten it`s expected Life?.

I have got used to big lazy motors. which are not the fastest on the block, but do deliver a comfortable driving experience.

Pete

19. tjay

tjay Funster

I fitted one of these "plug in and go" units to currant and previous motorhome, found it really help to stay in 6th gear on the hills with or without the trailer and car on it (a Mx5)
    Bought them off ebay from a company calling themselves "The Italian Box" offer 2 years guarantee and if any problems or change of vehicle simply send it back and they will repair/remap to your requirements.
    Very pleased with end results

20. ambulancekidd

ambulancekidd Funster

If a quality re-map leads to clutch failure, I'd suggest that the clutch was on the way out anyway or the driving style needs to be looked at.

• Like Like x 2