Re map or not (1 Viewer)

Apr 29, 2014
Warwickshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Chieftain
Exp
Since 2004
I have a fiat 2.8 chieftain tag 2006 five speed and very happy plodding along at 50 or 60 but it does labour in fifth gear and been advised to have a re map as this would give me a bit extra torque anyone with experience or advice please been quoted 300 pounds

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
definitely yes.

Done properly it will eradicate the 200rpm flat spot. It will transform it

Jon

I suspect you mean 2000 rpm, but its not really a flat spot, just a bit of turbo lag. Yes a remap can help to minimise this but be aware that on a heavy vehicle increasing the torque can lead to premature clutch failure. Ask Forrestboy about his.

D.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

injebreck99

Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
A correctly done remap will transform any motorhome, I stress the correctly.
I am very happy with the results of our remap, £300 sounds about right, that's what I paid.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
I probably already know what the answer is. But indulge me.

Most remap`s are carried out For "boy racers" to get one set of traffic lights ahead of each other. What does remapping, what is really a "Basic" Truck diesel Achieve?. when applied to a Motor-home, Mine (X250) seems to progress OK in it`s basic form, so what, apart from potentially increasing the stress on the Engine, would re mapping produce?. AND importantly is it cost effective?. Right, the forum is open?--------- Go!.

Pete

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hi Pete

Well it certainly doesn't make your MH into a race truck and you a "boy racer" it might be a basic diesel truck but that does not mean that it can't run a bit sweeter with a bit more torque and a bit more power, my co driver commented that from her seat thsat the engine felt and sounded smoother and quieter and yes it does drive nicer but of course it should. Some people will promise you better MPG but I wont do that as I am not convinced, I understand that with anything engine included you get out relative to what you put in, I would say ours is certainly no worse though.

Yes if you have a small engine with a weak clutch this is a good way to finish it off.

Buyer beware, but I would do it on the right vehicle.

Martin

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
How do you actually know what a remap is? Somebody comes along and sticks a laptop in with loads of bits on the screen and half an hour later says that it all, pay the money. I did not notice the slightest difference in mine other than the placebo affect, I thought it was going better but the fuel consumption went up, so was I just pushing the throttle harder?
Don't know and can't tell they might all be a load of con artists. can't tell that either. Fords do there upgrades by changing turbo to variable blades and also fit different injector with a software change to keep it all straight, can you just hope that the software will do it by itself, maybe they do fill in the low points on the engine graph to get rid of the flat spots caused by emission requirement of every market that the vehicle is sold into, maybe not, VW put some in their cars to beat the US rules and look at the fuss, that hole in the performance made those cars undriveable with a hole in the performance, right where the testing would be done and where most people would drive on the road. Drivers would not like their cars if they were put to standard test conditions setting.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
I Run a modified map on my current van (mwb transit mk7 ).. The current map is only for a modest increase in power and torque. The main reason was to delete the egr function from the ecu...
I've had the van over 5 years and most of that time I've had it running with a modified map and in my opinion it drives better...
Things to bear in mind ...If the vehicle is under warranty and visits the dealer... If they have ecu updates to do you will loose the map... so bear that in mind and ask if that happens what the cost of a reinstall would be. my way round that was to have a device that allows me to return to the original file and remove the modified map...then reload it later...
That option may not be available from all remappers and on the latest engines...not sure..
Ta Andy. .

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
The guy that did ours offered a full reinstate and refund if I was not happy with it.

Martin

OP
OP
sally47
Apr 29, 2014
Warwickshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Chieftain
Exp
Since 2004
Thanks for all the comments don't intend to be a boy racer nor decimate the clutch just want to eliminate that dead spot at about 50 mph when I'm trying to overtake a juggernaut against the wind going to have it done next week with service at elite will let you know how it goes

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
On my previous van.. 2005 2.8JTD 4100kg.. I was lucky that my son was having his car re-mapped and the guy offered to do the van for £100 as he was already there :)
At the time I did a regular run to Holland in the motorhome to buy stock (no not that type of stock !) and the big hill on the M20 heading back towards London always dragged me right down. The re-map changed that and gave a lot more "oomph", so certainly made a difference. Cant say there were any changes to MPG.
One thing that did happen it encouraged me to accelerate harder at lights and uphills, so in effect that probably stopped any MPG improvement.

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
Hi Sally I had my remap done at a show a few years ago on a 2.8 jtd manual 2006 Ducato it made a terrific difference to the way that I used to drive it in as much as the gear changes were a lot less and the engine seemed to run a lot smoother, I cant say that fuel mpg improved but my enjoyment of driving did as I could move quicker on the motorway for overtaking hgvs and the like, which made life a little easier knowing that you had a reserve of power when required.

rolandrat

Free Member
Jan 5, 2013
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
I suspect you mean 2000 rpm, but its not really a flat spot, just a bit of turbo lag. Yes a remap can help to minimise this but be aware that on a heavy vehicle increasing the torque can lead to premature clutch failure. Ask Forrestboy about his.

D.
Totally agree with the above about clutch failure. This happened to a friend of mine and after two failures he changed his motorhome.

injebreck99

Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
My engine, 2.3 130 bhp is vastly improved, much quieter and smoother and I am 2-3 mpg better off as well, less gear changing is probably the cause.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Ok, so here`s my thoughts. IF remapping would result in a flatter torque curve, and bring the Max torque to (roughly) 2200 rpm where I currently do most of my Driving / cruising. I could see the point, However, most of what I have read, seen, and heard, is to do with an increase of Power?. To my mind, increasing the power is unlikely to make the vehicle handle better. It may go Faster. but increased power means increased stress` on the engine, and it`s cooling systems etc;, (thermodynamics) which may not be capable of handling it, and therefore, shorten it`s expected Life?.

I have got used to big lazy motors. which are not the fastest on the block, but do deliver a comfortable driving experience.

Pete

Aug 7, 2007
Dundee
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 195
Exp
since 1975
I fitted one of these "plug in and go" units to currant and previous motorhome, found it really help to stay in 6th gear on the hills with or without the trailer and car on it (a Mx5)
Bought them off ebay from a company calling themselves "The Italian Box" offer 2 years guarantee and if any problems or change of vehicle simply send it back and they will repair/remap to your requirements.
Very pleased with end results

Aug 10, 2012
cambridge
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
since2001
Remap? Yes
Boosters did mine , recommended, better mpg and I can tow in 6th gear now
They keep your original map and will reinstate it on request

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Remap? Yes
Boosters did mine , recommended, better mpg and I can tow in 6th gear now
They keep your original map and will reinstate it on request

I toad with mine, and get into 6th Ok on the flat. My issue is that it`s about TORQUE as opposed to "power". Increasing the power in the wrong rev band is not going to achieve much except higher running temperatures (again thermodynamics). With "our" diesels, a flatter torque curve is surely more desirable?. And yet all the Talk is about power increase?.

And the 64K question is it worth £300??

Pete

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
The OP asked a specific question about the vehicle he has.

Yes some answers are better than no answers, but disagreeing with people who have had a remap on the same drivetrain is not helpful to the OP. IMHO

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
If you increase the torque or flatten the torque curve to get the same torque higher up the rev range you will also get more power as power=RPMxtorque.

Martin

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back