RE-FILLABLE GAS BOTTLE "UPDATE".

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by jenny and mitch, Oct 22, 2015.

1. jenny and mitch

jenny and mitch Funster

As promised, I have spoken to Nick, the boss of Gas-It re-fillable gas cylinders, reference the refusal of some companies to allow the use of their premises for re-filling of this type of system.
    The problem seems to arise from the misunderstanding of the different "Type approval "
    applied for by the manufacturers of these systems.
    Gaslow use type 67 cylinders, which are required to be mounted with steel bands fastened to a cage type gas locker capable of withstanding a crash generating a G force of 20G forwards(or backward), and a G force of 8G from either side.
    Autocruise is one manufacturer who fits such a steel cage fastened to the vehicle chassis to carry the gas-it bottles.
    Gas-it get their bottles made in Portugal by the same company who manufacture bottles for Calor. And Nick writes the training manuals FOR Calor so that they can train their personnel . The difference between Calor bottles and Gas-it bottles, is the 80% cut off fitted to the Gas-it ones.
    The explosion at the Morrisons garage was apparently caused because a STEEL flexihose had been used as the external re-fill hose !! These hoses are NOT (BY EU law) to be used as re-fill for LIQUID gas re-filling..
    I was surprised to hear that Gas-it only supply 3% of their output to individual van owners and the rest goes to Motorhome manufacturers. And he says he has had NO feedback from ANY the manufacturers about any problems regarding re-filling refusal problems.. SO maybe THAT is where we should lodge our complaints FIRST...
    I realise that this quite a "messy" description of the situation and I apologise if it appears incoherent and that it draws no conclusion and I WILL have further conversations with Gas-it to seek more clarity. But that is all I know at present.
    If anyone has any more input or information then it can only help.
    Meanwhile, there are loads of places more than happy to allow refilling at their pumps and I have NO regrets about fitting mine.. It has saved me enough to pay for itself..
    SOooooo. Please don't shoot the messenger. I am doing my best to get some clarity on this topic..
    Mitch..

• Like Like x 30
  2. reader

reader Funster

Thank you for your research and shareing your findings

• Like Like x 1
  3. Speve

Speve Funster

I second that it's a really useful piece of work you are doing I recently fitted a twin 11kg system with external fill to my Hymer Exsis works well and no problem filling so far but will let you know if I do come across refusals to fill.

4. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Thanks from me as well.

5. Badknee

Badknee Funster

Thanks for the info on this. I must admit when ordering my Gasit system I decided to fit the fill point externally and on the same side as the fuel filler. Two reasons for this 1) it is easier to fuel up and gas up at the same time. 2) it is just a fill point that anyone can see and not the two bottle set up I have just so nobody gets rattled.

• Like Like x 1
  6. GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY Funster

If STEEL hoses are not allowed then is it only rubber ones with the steel reinforcing around them or just Rubber?

7. dave newell lvs

dave newell lvs Trader-Vehicle Services

Whilst it is good that you have done some research on this I do have some doubts as to the accuracy of what you have been told:
    "Gaslow use type 67 cylinders, which are required to be mounted with steel bands fastened to a cage type gas locker capable of withstanding a crash generating a G force of 20G forwards(or backward), and a G force of 8G from either side."

I have fitted refillable cylinders in literally hundreds of motorhomes, including Autocruise ans I have yet to see such a physical restraint cage. The gas locker itself on the majority of motorhomes wouldn't survive a 20G acceleration, probably not even an 8G acceleration. I also remain to be convinced that Nick of Gasit fame writes the training manuals for Calor. Lets face it Calor is a major company that has been around for decades, would they really sub out their training manual writing to a small company that's been around for less than a decade and whose main business is selling equipment which rivals a large part of their market? Really???

D.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

How many training manuals do Calor have? surely it is just one

9. DuxDeluxe

DuxDeluxe Funster Life Member

If steel hoses are not allowed, then why do GASLOW sell so many braided steel hoses?? They are very similar in design to the anaconda 6" and 8" hoses we used for ship to ship LPG transfers - very robust indeed and stood up to some very rough treatment during STS operations

• Like Like x 2
  10. Munchie

Munchie Funster Life Member

My gaslow has a steel refill hose and has for the last 8 years!

• Like Like x 2
  11. Techno

A refill hose has different connection to a pigtail so they cannot be confused. Gasit's tail doesn't ring true

• Like Like x 1
  12. DuxDeluxe

Bad pun alert........

• Like Like x 2
  13. Techno

No pun intended David :LOL:
    Fill hose and fitting each end are JIC and nothing like the tank/bottle outlet connections

14. DuxDeluxe

Still a bad pun, though.......

15. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

I'm a bit confused ... as Dave has mentioned some of what has been said by Nick just doesn't seem right. What exactly is meant by a steel hose? I've got braided s/s hoses from Gaslow which have a 20 year life!

• Like Like x 2
  16. DuxDeluxe

Precisely. These are corrugated stainless hoses with a braided stainless protective covering. About as good as you can get - as per my previous post about the large bore LPG hoses for ships......

17. Minxy Girl

The only 'steel' hose I can think of is a shower hose!:eek:

18. DuxDeluxe

......and they are probably plastic!

Mind you, someone will be selling them on eBay as adaptors to refill Calor bottles........

19. Minxy Girl

I've certainly had steel ones ... I'd love to know what the Morrisons bloke used.

20. iandsm

iandsm Funster

Although I appreciate the OP doing some research into the problem, I didn't realise there was a "problem" I when never been refused a refil for my Gaslow bottles ( filler inside locker) either in the UK or in France, Germany or Italy as well as the Netherlands. Perhaps I have just been fortunate.

I certainly don't understand why a steel hose cannot be used as a filler hose provided it has the correct fitting and is made for the job as the Gaslow one is.