rb panel van conversion begins ! (2 Viewers)

OP
OP
Ralph-n-Bev
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
(y):party::wine:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I am in total awe of everyone who builds their own motorhome.

I can see the attraction, especially if there are "special" considerations and I'd love to do it but know I don't have the skills - or the patience.

madgeD

Free Member
Aug 17, 2014
Cleveland
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
since 2005
:LOL: Hi Bev, what I did mean is you being able to choose your fittings and fixtures for Ralph to fit!!
I too have a much appreciated O.H who still helps his 4 children years after they have left home , and wont pay anyone else to do jobs he is very capable of doing (not always a plus) as I get to be his goffer :whistle:
but I do wish when we were younger we had the cash to do what Ralph has done , we just paid through the nose to have a ready built!! But he has put our solar panel, sat dish, cameras and a few other tweeks on.
We were just recently in France talking to a young couple that he had done similar but to a much smaller van, he was looking at ours and said he is thinking of buying another more our size and fitting that out, I hope he comes on here and sees yours, it will certainly stir him on.
Have fun in the Pug :ROFLMAO: I couldn't name ours Chihuahua somehow it wouldn't be the same!!
We don't tell them how much they are appreciated but I think they know?? well after 54 yrs married and 2 before that together in our case they should. :inlove:

OP
OP
Ralph-n-Bev
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Hi @madgeD
::bigsmile: Now look what you made me do !
Declaring my appreciation !:blush:
I don't want him getting too spoilt:whistle2:

Pug gets his name cos he's a Peugeot , not after the dog. We've a Border Terrier ! :rofl:

54 years marriage:clap2:
....I hope we have as many happy years as you two. We've just had our 20 th but been together 23.
Hope to bump into you both sometime on a rally . Not literally though........

madgeD

Free Member
Aug 17, 2014
Cleveland
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
since 2005
Pug gets his name cos he's a Peugeot , not after the dog. We've a Border Terrier ! :rofl:

:giggler: Never thought of that !! I thought I saw a photo of a pug :coolest: must go to Specsavers!!
I thought I had better clarify things as you don't know my hubby might have been looking and thing I was having a pop at him. :roflmto:

Ill certainly be looking for you. (y)

weekenders

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2008
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 years
I don't tell Ralph how much he is appreciated. Often enough.
But he is , lots and lots. :inlove:[/QUOTE]
:heartbreak::heartbreak::h::h::lips:

Apr 14, 2008
Cromer norfolk
Funster No
MH
Bailey approach 745
Exp
since 2002
Only just found thread and read from start to finish! You have made a fantastic job.
Something I have wanted to do for a long time but not had the bottle.

Steve

Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
Since 2011 (tugger for 20 before that)
Absolute top job Ralph. You say you are no carpenter but I beg to differ. You have created a motorhome that any self respecting carpenter/joiner would be very proud of.
Congratulations :clap2::clap2:

Apr 12, 2011
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Burstner ixeo t 590
Exp
4yrs
Sat in Pug at saltfleet talking to Ralph and Bev absolutely brill job, and there both well pleased with it, GOOD 1

OP
OP
Ralph-n-Bev
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
@sweetie @Baycott Cheers guys (y) Glad you like the conversion so far.
Steve, give it a go you may just surprise yourself.....I certainly have ;)

@abforfun Nice to meet you at the weekend. Thanks for coming over for a look at the Pug.
Glad you like him in the flesh (y)

OP
OP
Ralph-n-Bev
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Just fitted the last heavy piece of kit...The under-slung gas tank.
So anytime now i will be visiting the bridge :eek:

From day one on this project i was expecting to uprate the vehicle payload. The suspension and tyres are upgraded ready to do just that (y)

I will post the before and after weights when i get round to it (y)

OP
OP
Ralph-n-Bev
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
R & B,

What size bulk tank were you able to fit in the end?

Cheers,

Jock. :)
IMG_6459.JPG
IMG_6470.JPG

Hi Jock, Went for a 25 Litre but could have fitted bigger if we wanted to.
As we only use gas for cooking and heating the hot water, we thought 25 would be plenty (y)

Just to recall we are going down the diesel heating route and run the fridge from 12v permanently.
I will cover the gas install in an update sometime, its just work keeps getting in the way :(

Here is the tank before and after it was treated with underseal. The tank support brackets came powder coated so had them shot blasted and galvanized.

Cheers.....Ralph

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
View attachment 73135 View attachment 73136
Hi Jock, Went for a 25 Litre but could have fitted bigger if we wanted to.
As we only use gas for cooking and heating the hot water, we thought 25 would be plenty (y)

Just to recall we are going down the diesel heating route and run the fridge from 12v permanently.
I will cover the gas install in an update sometime, its just work keeps getting in the way :(

Here is the tank before and after it was treated with underseal. The tank support brackets came powder coated so had them shot blasted and galvanized.

Cheers.....Ralph
Those brackets look meaty enough Ralph, :) unlike the cheap nasty thin metal bands that some installers choose to fit. :( At that capacity you're not adding too much weight when full. (y)
Yes, I did forget that you were going down the diesel heating route, and the way fuel prices are going, that is a good move. :LOL:

Cheers,

Jock. :)

D

Deleted member 36503

Deleted User
I have decided to go down the SafeFill gas tank route on my conversion, primarily because of the weight. OK I know it is not an underslung tank but even full it weighs next to nothing in comparrison with any steel tank.
And as for the weight, I know of a lot of people on the SBMCC who have tried to build light and then they have gone to the weigh bridge and ended up leaving with shaking legs as their load margin is next to none existent and they have had to upgrade to 4,000kg which of course has dire consequences when you get a bit older!

OP
OP
Ralph-n-Bev
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Sounds great , but we wanted more storage space inside. I'm 49 , so I don't have to worry about Being 70 for a while yet !
Bev will be there before me !!:imoutahere:
As I said I've not been on the weigh bridge yet. Might do it Saturday on my way to Barrat tanks.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Sounds great , but we wanted more storage space inside. I'm 49 , so I don't have to worry about Being 70 for a while yet !
Bev will be there before me !!:imoutahere:
As I said I've not been on the weigh bridge yet. Might do it Saturday on my way to Barrat tanks.

If Bev reads that comment you might not see 70:):).
We will hopefully be fitting an underslung tank once we have the new van.

OP
OP
Ralph-n-Bev
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
If Bev reads that comment you might not see 70:):).
We will hopefully be fitting an underslung tank once we have the new van.

He doesn't even know how old he is ! He's 48 :doh:
I don't mind, I may be 3 years older, but he's got a lot more wrinkles......
He screws his hat on !
Bx

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
My intention is to get a section of 25mm thick solid Butchers block and cut and fashion two tables for our van.
The picture below is taken from another forum and is what has given me the idea .
The standard table tops are not only very expensive but IMO really poor quality. There are more than one ways to skin a cat,

OP
OP
Ralph-n-Bev
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Hi Charlie,
I think you'll find that the picture above IS our "Pug" !!
Which forum was it on ? We aren't on any others haha.
Anyways, Ralph used the regular furniture board for this table , using the knocking in strip for the edges. Although our furniture board is very strong good quality laminated stuff.
He also made a smaller one for drinks on an evening . Which Is underneath , the one in the above picture. Attached by a couple of brown plastic swivel clips.
I had a good chunk of furniture board left so decided to make a couple different size table tops.
One we can use for drinks when lounging. The bigger one is cut to fit nicely into the wardrobe ( hence the coffin shape ! )

View attachment 70393 View attachment 70394 View attachment 70395

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Hi Charlie,
I think you'll find that the picture above IS our "Pug" !!
Which forum was it on ? We aren't on any others haha.
Anyways, Ralph used the regular furniture board for this table , using the knocking in strip for the edges. Although our furniture board is very strong good quality laminated stuff.
He also made a smaller one for drinks on an evening . Which Is underneath , the one in the above picture. Attached by a couple of brown plastic swivel clips.

Sorry I gubbered up the post... Just me being an internet goon !

I love the look of your table ! I thought the wood was solid ?

Could you provide a link to the exact wood or whatever it is you have used ?

Your conversion mate is just fabulous ! I just spent a kings ransom on a late 2013 Auto Sleeper Kemerton and how I wish I had your skills time and patience !

OP
OP
Ralph-n-Bev
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
@Charlie Thanks for your kind comments Charlie :)

The wood i use is from here.......Broken Link Removed

Not very cheap if you just want one sheet. I was one short to finish my doors and delivered cost me around £220 :eek::eek:

Here are a few ready made....www.grasshopperleisure.co.uk/tables-legs--bases-23-c.asp
hwww.magnummotorhomes.co.uk/view_product.asp?productID=2225

This company will even make you a personalized one cheaper than a sheet of Morland lightweight plywood (y)
Broken Link Removed

Just for ideas this is how both of my tables connect when in use and being stored.

Cheers....Ralph

IMG_6495.JPG
IMG_6496.JPG
IMG_6497.JPG
IMG_6498.JPG

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
@Charlie Thanks for your kind comments Charlie :)

The wood i use is from here.......Broken Link Removed

Not very cheap if you just want one sheet. I was one short to finish my doors and delivered cost me around £220 :eek::eek:

Here are a few ready made....www.grasshopperleisure.co.uk/tables-legs--bases-23-c.asp
hwww.magnummotorhomes.co.uk/view_product.asp?productID=2225

This company will even make you a personalized one cheaper than a sheet of Morland lightweight plywood (y)
Broken Link Removed

Just for ideas this is how both of my tables connect when in use and being stored.

Cheers....Ralph

View attachment 73343 View attachment 73344 View attachment 73345 View attachment 73346

Excellent !! Thanks for the links ... I plan on haunting our timber suppliers (as the company buyer I get good kit at good rates) and see if I can find some solid wood planked work surface or maybe butchers block . I would then spend a few hours in the workshop messing around like geeeezers do and see what I can make...
It a man fing ennit messing in the shop taking hours making somfink we cudda bort for a tenner......

D

Deleted member 36503

Deleted User
Morlands are at Welshpool which isn't exactly on the other side of the moon and they are exceptionally helpful if you give them a call before dropping by.
The amount I saved on all of my purchases from them would have made the journey worth considering from quite some distance away from them, but as they are just down the road for me it was simply another bonus to be using the best available products.

OP
OP
Ralph-n-Bev
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Hi Funsters, Had one or two bits to update you on but just haven't found the time to get on here and do it.
I briefly mentioned the underslung gas tank, well that's now fitted waiting for the Gas man Stan (y)

IMG_6516.JPG

Next job underneath was a new type of water heater to hit the market. www.whalepumps.com/rv/news-item.aspx?News_ID=10033&FriendlyID=#.VfXjlRFVikp I have waited over a year for to come but glad i did. It fits nicely under the van and means less cutting out on the van side walls. Only a small cut out in the floor is required for the power connections and the hot and cold pipes. No pipework is outside so no risk of freezing (y) With this being underneath along the diesel heating means our bed boxes are totally empty (y) This must be a first for a panel van.
IMG_6502.JPG
IMG_6503.JPG
IMG_6511.JPG
IMG_6513.JPG

Below are the inside connections for the power and water . This is all I've got inside the bed boxes. See the yellow plug on the third picture up . As in this pic.
IMG_6531 (1).JPG

The next job was completed by someone else for a change....The water tanks.
I used a company just down the road to me called Barrat Tanks www.tank.me
The first visit to see Shaun the owner was to measure up and talk over what i wanted. I wanted a few extra bits, one being a 30watt
heater element in the fresh water tank, and brass outlet taps rather than plastic ones.I had already purchased a CBE water level gauge and he fitted this in as well (y) I did have some concerns regarding the fresh water being external and explained that i would like to insulate the fresh water tank prior to them fitting. This wasn't a problem for Shaun and he also confirmed his tanks are good down to -6 uninsulated. But me being me i insulated it anyway Shaun has been building tanks for over 20 years and builds for the main PVC converters i felt confident letting him loose on my Pug :LOL:

I was very pleased with the quote of £315 supplied and fitted (y)
I collected the fresh water a few days before the fit and insulated it .

IMG_6548.JPG
IMG_6563 (1) - Copy.JPG

Fully insulated tank ready for fitting (y)
The install took around an hour and a half to complete. What a superb job they did :D

IMG_6566.JPG
IMG_6580.JPG

Just been on with the Webasto heating this weekend but will post later on this (y)

Cheers for now.....Ralph

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back