Rapido or Auto trail ??? (1 Viewer)

Nov 10, 2012
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
Gawd , I've a 2012 swift bolero from new and when I've read about all the swift negatives on this site it made me feel that I had made big mistake in buying it even though I've had no swift problems (so far) . I'm in the process of changing it to an AT and now I read all this , arrrrrrgh .

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
Gawd , I've a 2012 swift bolero from new and when I've read about all the swift negatives on this site it made me feel that I had made big mistake in buying it even though I've had no swift problems (so far) . I'm in the process of changing it to an AT and now I read all this , arrrrrrgh .

Our advice would be down jump from the frying pan into the fire have a look at some of the European built motorhomes.
Our problem is we prefer an end "U" shaped lounge and despite all the dealers telling us it is the most popular design not all
manufactures make them.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
I thought some one should speak up for Autotrail !!! We have a new ((March this year )) Tracker EKS, and have done 5,000 miles already.. All we have had go wrong is waste tank warning system, a peeling decal, radio head unit had a slight fault, and hab door flyscreen string snapped. All rectified under warranty by the dealer no problem.. Yes, it hasn't got a very big payload, but as we are naturists and not 'huge' we have not run out of loading freedom yet.. Runs like a dream, Euro 5 engine gives 28mpg (( in sandals !! )) and we are very happy with it.. And its under 50K..
Good luck with your decision and remember, the layout is the most important part of the equation..
Mitch.

I suppose looking on the bright side you should have no problems with wet clothes.:whistle:

SandJ

Free Member
Sep 14, 2007
North Yorks
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Too long lol
Hymer B544 to Swift Bolero FB then Bessacarr E450 (Swift)again now Rapido 997M which is the best???
Modern design and stylish the the Swifts win
Quality of build the The HYMER was vgood and the Rapido is excellent
In other words if you want it to last then in mho pre 2007 Rapido

Now awaiting the flack from .........

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
And no delete tab to fix it.
Sorry but my connecion is very slow just now which is probably the cause of the double post.

Last edited:

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
Our 2010 AT Savannah came with an inadequate payload when we bought it second-hand so it's cost us to put that right with SVTECH and air suspension on the rear axle and probably dearer higher load rated tyres next time around. It's not winterised like the foreign vans.

Since seen and like the look of Rapido's and they hold their money better.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
If they were any good you'd call them English vans, why include the poor Scots and welly chuckers to take the blame :LOL:

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Well I am a big fan.

I keep reading that layout, layout, layout is the most important factor when choosing a motorhome.

I only like the layout on British vans.

Same here, Chris - luckily we found an A class that did have a Brit layout and full kitchen. We have been in a few A/T vans and like the inside and the finish (apart from the ridiculous fixed fitted carpet, now dropped) but a lot, not just a few, of people are reporting build quality issues with the newer vans. They may just be unlucky of course and we do only tend to hear about the bad ones, but then again, looking at the thread, how many people are saying "I purchased a Rapido - a very popular brand - and it is a dog"? That says a bit.

We looked very closely at an A/T tracker with the end bathroom which ticked almost all the boxes until we realised that available payload was going to be a serious issue with all the options we wanted. Like a few other Marques, the older ones seem to be much better put together. The Pilote, being a continental van, is much better insulated and winterised with a very nice double floor

gibbon

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
Shatterford
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2005
Well, Autotrail don't seem to have much of a fan club unless you buy an old one.

Ours is an old 2000 Cheyenne 634 with U shaped lounge. We love it.
Bone dry inside & comfortable for 2 with dog.
I have to admit though, if I was putting my hand in my pocket for a more modern van I would'nt touch autotrail with a barge pole.
It would be a European van for me, definitely winterised, as Brit vans generally are not.
In France at the moment and surrounded by all manner of euro vans.
They look quality.
Buy the Rapido original poster.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Winterisation is an interesting issue.

Our old Burstner was fully winterised with heated floor etc.

Was it any warmer than my current van?

Nope.

Deleted User
I thought some one should speak up for Autotrail !!! We have a new ((March this year )) Tracker EKS, and have done 5,000 miles already.. All we have had go wrong is waste tank warning system, a peeling decal, radio head unit had a slight fault, and hab door flyscreen string snapped. All rectified under warranty by the dealer no problem.. Yes, it hasn't got a very big payload, but as we are naturists and not 'huge' we have not run out of loading freedom yet.. Runs like a dream, Euro 5 engine gives 28mpg (( in sandals !! )) and we are very happy with it.. And its under 50K..
Good luck with your decision and remember, the layout is the most important part of the equation..
Mitch.

Is that only sandals Jennie & Mitch.....

spongy

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
By winterising we don't necessarily mean that the van is warmer but that your service water tanks etc are insulated or heated to stop them freezing up and becoming unusable.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
By winterising we don't necessarily mean that the van is warmer but that your service water tanks etc are insulated or heated to stop them freezing up and becoming unusable.

I have heated tanks on mine. It was an extra

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Winterisation is an interesting issue.

Our old Burstner was fully winterised with heated floor etc.

Was it any warmer than my current van?

Nope.
Depends on what you set the thermostat to, usually ;)

The Pilote has much thicker insulation all round, plus the double floor.

Anyway, back to subject, we liked the autotrails we looked at, and one like the Apache that some Funster friends have is almost ideal, but the Apache and Dakota were simply ruled out on length as we are restricted a bit on turning to reverse into the driveway. The Pilote is our first continental van and very good.

rolandrat

Free Member
Jan 5, 2013
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
Bear this in mind if you're not already aware, the AT Tracker water pump is situated under the cooker next to a fresh air vent. In Winter when the temperature drops to below zero the pump and pipes freeze up solid if you don't drain down. Also because of the stupid location you need to be an octopus with extra long feelers to change one over. You must also make sure that any water is removed from the filter housing as the frost can split the plastic bowl. This happened to me on a rally, it was an expensive learning curve lesson. After that I always carried a spare pump and an extra long screwdriver and a wooden jig/cradle in case a changeover was needed. I think the AT 630 model is similar.

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
Hi SPONGY.. You could try bare feet (hmmm) and get 28.5 to the gallon..

PS.. I hope we are not tempting fate saying that our AT is a good one..

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
We have a 2010 Autotrail Savannah, we haven't had a single problem with it and the layout is perfect for us and the dog. We've done about 10,000 miles in the last year so it's had a good thrashing. However, our next van will be an A class and my vote goes to Rapido.

Deleted User
Hi SPONGY.. You could try bare feet (hmmm) and get 28.5 to the gallon..

PS.. I hope we are not tempting fate saying that our AT is a good one..

Hi Jenny & Mitch, I do drive in sandals but only get 24 to the gallon in my rapido, perhaps I could leave my socks off.!!!

Spongy

Nov 21, 2011
Rugeley
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Savanah
Exp
Since 2009
We have had an AT Apache 634L for the last 3 years (pre-owned 2008) we have had no problems since we have had it and have done 20,000 miles in that time including right over the top of the Pyrenees on 2 occasions. My only advice would be to buy the 634U as it is more practical in the evenings if you both want to lie down to watch tv.

We have 2 sets of MH buddies who own Savanah's and neither have had any issues, that said we intent to look for an A Class in the coming months but have been very happy with the AT.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back