Damp readings

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Gorse Hill, Oct 10, 2014.

1. Gorse Hill

Gorse Hill Funster

My van is just a year old and took it for its first Hab check yesterday, got the report, and damp readings are at various points between 8 &12% would you think this acceptable or should I be screaming at these readings
    Personally I would have expected lower readings but since its my first van not sure what they should be
    Any help from the vast experience on the forum would be welcome
    Thks

2. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

no worries at all there, ambient conditions could have made them even higher

I recall being told not to worry until 15%, even then do nothing till 18-20% after checking they weren't temporary readings

(y)

edit - if you were or are worried though, you really should have asked the dealer to explain the readings

• Like Like x 1
  3. Gorse Hill

Gorse Hill Funster

Thks for the info, I did ask him to explain and he indicated they were ok and nothing to worry about, however they don't always tell the truth and was checking with people who have more experience of these issues
    My worry is that after a year there aleady up at 12%, but maybe this is normal

• Like Like x 1
  4. tonka

tonka Funster Life Member

OH How I wish my year old Autotrail (like so many others) had such a low reading on it's first hab check..
    40% in side wall !!! Heki leaking and 30% there...
    All sorted now by factory but not what you expect from a new van.. :(

• Like Like x 1
  5. Gorse Hill

Gorse Hill Funster

Sorry to hear that tonka maybe am ok then,but then that's no consolation to you, hope you got it sorted
    But your right a new Motorhome IMO should not have these issues
    Thks for your input

6. tonka

Mine got sorted at the factory... Long story..
    The most annoying thing is that I have met and heard so many people with brand new Autotrails that have had similar problems.. At one Rally I was chatting to a guy with a year old van, When I told him the tale, he went straight to his van, lifted the dinette covers and he had a big watermark all up the wall. !!
    It had only had a hab check at the supplying dealers a few months earlier....

• Like Like x 1
  7. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

I wouldnt rely on an annual damp check
    After all, it could be fine on the day of the check and start leaking the next. You would be none the wiser for a further 364 days. In that time, your van will be knackered!
    I check ours with our own tester at least once every couple of months.

• Like Like x 3
  8. Moodybrook

Moodybrook Funster

That seems like good advice John but your van must look like a second hand dartboard or am I missing something ?

Also which meter do you use and trust ?
    thanks

• Like Like x 1
  9. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

LOL! It pays to prod discretely!!!!
    Under the edge of trim and behind window and rooflight surrounds are the chosen spots which are invisible.

We have a tester from Aldi, the readings always seem accurate. Prodding a known dry bit of wood gives around 10-15% every time.
    Another way of identifying a leak is to run a dehumidifier inside the van. A rapidly filling water container will point to water ingress somewhere!

• Like Like x 2
  10. Gorse Hill

Gorse Hill Funster

Just purchased a damp meter given what I've read so far and intend to check on a regular basis
    Surprised by the number of M/H that have an issue especially newer vans

11. tonka

I use an engineer from the NCC approved list.. Not only cheaper than a dealer but they come to you and no axe to grind.. Let's face it, you have a check done at 11 months, who is responsible if they find anything... The dealer. !! You have to agree could be some doubt there on things being found.. After the 12 months if you have an extended warrantee its either a claim to the manufacturer or third part insurance..
    My NCC report was no issue at all with Autotrail and the report was accepted with no problem..
    I have a "prong" meter that i bough years ago from Maplins but now use a "non invasive" meter.. Off ebay from China.. Leave no holes and gives me a good guide as I now check often..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Digital-N...?pt=UK_Sound_Vision_Other&hash=item35d619d8fe

• Like Like x 2
  12. camocam1

camocam1 Read Only Funster

Bought a bailey 760 se second hand and had to put it to approved centre to keep the warranty and paperwork states a damp check MUST be carried out !!! When got van back NO damp report and was advised that because of the construction you can't carry out a damp check !!!!!

13. PP Bear

PP Bear Funster Life Member

I also have my own meter and carry out reading on a regular basis and so far I'm no problems :)

I have used it on others vans and it's given reading, but low 3-4%, however on one panel on my mates van, it read high after a seal had failed on an access door :)

Worth the investment as they're not expensive and quite accurate too. Plus it's peace of mind :)

14. kaasbroodje

kaasbroodje Funster

• Like Like x 1
  15. GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY Funster

I use one but that is not the problem I have, There was a leak at the opening hatch, before I bought it and it was fixed at a dealer (since redone by me) The problem is that there is a faint brown stain on the had lining that show up against the cream coloured fabric, can this be removed without getting worse?
    The moisture reading is low so it is historical . It still looks damp and I see it.

16. Moodybrook

Moodybrook Funster

Ok Thanks John, but I think I may go the non invasive way as I can see me wanting to prod everywhere, I may have become a prodaholic and I'd hate to think my babe was needing a nappy, or incontinence pad.

Unless someone knows different and that non invasive ones are less accurate !!!! :Eeek:

• Like Like x 1
  17. Gorse Hill

Gorse Hill Funster

H
    Have you tried wd40 it works on lots of things, worth a try

18. schojac

schojac Read Only Funster

I use a cheap damp meter that uses 4 prongs and I deliberately penetrate well into the surface. Meter readings will vary depending on the humidity in the van at that particular time of the year. What should not change much is the regular readings at the same point. I regularly check and log the readings making comparisons over a period of time. Generally I get readings between 10% in the summer to 18% in the wetter winter months. Some may say that these readings are high but that is probably due to me having a cheap meter; it's the difference in readings over time that I focus on.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Moodybrook

Moodybrook Funster

OMG Four Prongs, I need to lay down. :Eeek::Eeek: Well into the surface, OH Dear :crying:

20. schojac

schojac Read Only Funster

All discretely placed I must add