Question about insurance towing a toad on an a-frame

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by WOOOODENTOP, Mar 27, 2016.

1. WOOOODENTOP

WOOOODENTOP Funster

Do you have to tell your motorhome insurance company that you are towing toad on an a-frame??

2. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

Not if towing is included in your policy but always best to check your policy or ring your insurer.
    A car on an A frame is interpreted by DVSA as a trailer.
    Bear in mind the car is only insured (usually) on a 3rd party basis while on tow.
    Have an accident while towing and the car is technically uninsured for own damage.

3. pappajohn

My last european mh and toad were both insured with NFU....no arguments between insurers that way.
    And NFU covered the toad up to £1500, included in the moho insurance, for own damage the same as a regular trailer.
    Caravans and livestock trailers excluded.

4. Charlie

Charlie Funster

Tell your insurance but dont tell on here or you will be tied to a stake and whipped.. :D

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Larrynwin

Larrynwin Funster

Mine was only covered 3rd party by mhome insurer , so I checked with car insurer who confirmed when in tow comp insurance was still ok.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Charlie

Charlie Funster

Another added to the tie at stake and whip list..........:ROFLMAO:

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  7. DuxDeluxe

DuxDeluxe Funster Life Member

Oooooooh.........yes please......

My van and car are both insured with comfort and fully comp when being toaded.

Now where is that whipping post??

• Like Like x 1
  8. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

I don't want to start a debate but just want to clarify one thing - the DVSA do not regard (interpret) it as a trailer ... it has never ever been 'tested' in law to see if it complies or not, what they appear to do is 'turn a blind eye' to the practice.

You must however inform your tow car's insurer especially as it will have had to be altered to accept the a-frame attachment anyway which, regardless of whether you ever tow it that way or not, a modification is something they need to be told of.

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. icantremember

icantremember Funster

I'm the same as @pappajohn and have all my vehicles covered on the same policy by NFU ... hopefully less problems in the event of an accident.

10. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

Fraid you just did.
    DVSA have not been established long enough to declare their Tea breaks yet
    But the Dept for Transport have, and they have declared an opinion in legislation ie Law , contrary to what you believe HERE
    Here we go again, happy as can be, all good friends in jolly good company :LOL:

• Like Like x 4
  11. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

Quoted from your link:

From the above I hope it is clear that we believe the use of "A" frames to tow cars behind other vehicles is legal provided the braking and lighting requirements are met. However, while this is our understanding of the Regulations, it is only the Courts which can reach a definitive interpretation of the law.
    IMV the braking and lighting requirements are not met totally, however the pertinent point I was making was it has not been tested in law which even the above 'agrees' with!

• Like Like x 1
  12. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

Ah! Your View
    Can I quote you in future ;)

13. Charlie

Charlie Funster

To enlarge on this slightly.

I checked with the insurers of both our MH and the Car.
    They have NO problem whatsoever about the modifications to either of the two vehicles IE the fitting of a towing device to the front of the Toyota IQ and the towing device to the rear of the motor home.
    Neither did they have a problem with one towing the other IE the MH towing the IQ.
    Just make sure the insurance companies are aware of the modifications and what you are doing .

Further to this I checked with Toyota GB to enquire if fitting the Aframe kit to the Toyota IQ would in any way shape form or fashion endanger or invalidate the 5 year vehicle warranty. I was told absolutely not unless damage was caused by poor fitting of the towing frame/ device.

DVSA do not turn s blind eye. There is NO legislation to say that it is illegal to tow a vehicle in a flat manner IE with an A frame.

My daughter who is a solicitor tells me that unless I/we are braking the law we have nothing to fear. As I am not nor would I intentionally break the law then I will not worry.

I'm sure others will disagree but be assured I really genuinely and honestly don't give a monkeys. I have done everything possible to ensure what I'm doing is both safe and within the law.

• Like Like x 4
  14. DuxDeluxe

It is the difference between UK law and continental law....... Here, something is LEGAL unless proven otherwise.

Why don't we all just enjoy towing/toading/not towing/whatever and get on with life.

• Like Like x 3
  15. Charlie

Charlie Funster

I see it from a slightly different angle.

Unless we are doing something illegal we are absolutely fine . If there is no legislation there by default cannot be a complaint.

I definitely agree with you on the point of we should all have respect and tolerance on not only this point but any other. It's not or should not be a case of who is right or wrong or point scoring. To those who don't like towing by A frame fine. But arguing about it solves nowt and for someone like me will make not a joy of difference anyway.

Live and let live that's what I say. If I see someone stuck I will help whether I approve of what that are doing or quite the contrary.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Charlie

Charlie Funster

I thought you said you did not want to start another debate ?????

That's a bit like me saying I don't want a fight with somebody the poking them in the eye..............

• Like Like x 1
  17. DuxDeluxe

I think we both said the same thing.......(y)

• Like Like x 1
  18. Charlie

Charlie Funster

We did ! I realised that mate !

My wording poor as it it usually is just said that if there is no legislation we are completely in the clear .

Put another way we can't break laws that do not exist. (y)
    Or... They have to prove we've done something wrong. We don't have to prove we've done something right

• Like Like x 2
  19. pappajohn

Sorry, you are wrong.....DVLA do interpret it as such in their opinion but DVLA dont make law...courts make law.
    Like everyone else, they can only interpret the practice as there is no precedence in law to make a definative answer.

“A”- Frames
    When an "A" frame is attached to a vehicle (e.g. a motor car) and towed by a motor vehicle (e.g.
    motorhome) we believe the "A" frame and car become a single unit and as such are classified in
    legislation as a trailer. As a consequence the car and “A”-frame are required to meet the technical
    requirements for trailers when used on the road in Great Britain. These requirements are contained
    within the Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986 (SI 1986/1078) as amended
    (C&U) and the Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations 1989 (SI 1989/1796) as amended (RVLR).

This is taken from .....

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/a-frames-and-dollies

Download the document PDF on the opening page....its all in there.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  20. gus-lopez

gus-lopez Funster

No they haven't. That isn't a 'law' as they make clear at the end.Just an opinion that it might comply.

" . However, while this is our understanding of the Regulations, it is only the Courts whichcan reach a definitive interpretation of the law "

Because it is a system that imposes undue & excessive strains on a body part that is meant for occasional use to remove a broken down vehicle to a place of safety.

Additionally as soon as you modify a part of the vehicle that is covered by the 'certificate of conformity' then it comes under the rules of illegal modifications under EU " anti tampering " legislation , often known as " anti-tuning" , whereby the part modified or replaced hasn't been passed by testing.

• Like Like x 3