Question about insurance towing a toad on an a-frame (2 Viewers)

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
[/QUOTE]

Who said I was scared, be careful thats a personal insult you could be banned! And I thought you bored watching paint dry![/QUOTE]

Jeez...Mel right you lot so touchy on your precious A frames:D

here is a little scenario as you asked for one. you run over a school kid that runs out into the road (it happens - happened to me - but i'm Mr Magoo)

you put them in a wheel chair. cause: you have interfered with vehicle type approval by fitting a chunk or steel with eye bolts to your chassis...interfering with cars safety crumple zones...... fancy being the test case in that one:whistle:

I am retiring now to a safe distance, lighting the fuse..... helmet on head down:)

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Who said I was scared, be careful thats a personal insult you could be banned! And I thought you bored watching paint dry!

Jeez...Mel right you lot so touchy on your precious A frames:D

here is a little scenario as you asked for one. you run over a school kid that runs out into the road (it happens - happened to me - but i'm Mr Magoo)

you put them in a wheel chair. cause: you have interfered with vehicle type approval by fitting a chunk or steel with eye bolts to your chassis...interfering with cars safety crumple zones...... fancy being the test case in that one:whistle:

I am retiring now to a safe distance, lighting the fuse..... helmet on head down:)
......and?

Have a look at how your modern car is constructed.... designed for pedestrian safety. It won't happen; a threaded hole drilled into the crash bar will not adversely affect a collision with a pedestrian and any vehicle inspector would agree. Did you get really bored with watching paint dry then?;) You said you were out of here a couple of hours ago......

Back to the original post, there are NO issues with insurance as demonstrated, in writing, by various parties and I don't mind being a test case as modifications have been fully declared and agreed with insurers. Any accident is their problem as they have de facto approved it by agreeing to insure the declared modified vehicle. I simply cannot see either a legal or insurance problem.

This thread has become a bit like "playing chess with a pigeon" - there was no justification at all for people to drag this off topic and repeat old mantras against the use of A frames. If you (as in "anyone", not personally) don't like it, then don't use one. It is that simple

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
It will only be tested in a UK court when, God forbid , there is an accident where the front is torn from the towed vehicle & hits another vehicle/pedestrians..

As I've stated before I wouldn't even buy a small vehicle that had been used as a toad.

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
As I've stated before I wouldn't even buy a small vehicle that had been used as a toad.
And that is what it is all about isn't it, being able to choose. We would choose not to travel to Spain with toad, but if we wanted to go to Spain then we would load the little car on a trailer (and brush up on our tyre changing skills ;) reference to last years holibobs )

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
BUT to go to court for a precedent to be set there must be a charge, the police, in the UK, cannot just go to the CPP and say we nabbed this geezer towing a motor with his motor we think he should be done. What for? Dangerous driving? ETC. If you have a licence to tow, the vehicles are roadworthy and have MOT's etc etc. I ask again, what charge do you think needs to be tested??
IMO what you say makes sense and I can see where your coming from, unfortunately until something goes wrong it won't be tested in a court of law and then because of the society we live in someone has to be blamed, maybe the driver(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
What I meant to query earlier was the fact that to tow the vehicle requires the ignition to be unlocked to allow the wheels to theoretically follow when turning. I fail to see how an insurance company can refuse to pay out when someone leaves the keys in yet insure a vehicle that is basically doing the same ?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
What I meant to query earlier was the fact that to tow the vehicle requires the ignition to be unlocked to allow the wheels to theoretically follow when turning. I fail to see how an insurance company can refuse to pay out when someone leaves the keys in yet insure a vehicle that is basically doing the same ?
Anyone foolish enough to leave the key in while parked deserves to have it stolen......but I fail to see how it can be stolen while moving.
Many use a duplicate, but unchipped, key for the steering lock while travelling, you wont start the car with an unchipped key.

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Some like a Smart don't have steering locks so no need to leave keys in, but a valid concern for this threads title. It makes me wonder about insurers requirements for vehicles on trailers?

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
Anyone foolish enough to leave the key in while parked deserves to have it stolen......but I fail to see how it can be stolen while moving.
Many use a duplicate, but unchipped, key for the steering lock while travelling, you wont start the car with an unchipped key.
Ours came with a special key which doesn't start the engine but allows the steering to work, the @pappajohn unchipped key rings a bell.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Yep - I simply got one cut. Unlocks the ignition but does nothing else - in ignition, turn on, turn off but don't remove the key so the steering stays unlocked. We then lock the car with the remote

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I would just like to make it abundantly clear for anyone who's interested and may be under the misconception that I had something to do with 'how' Charlie's comments were brought to Jim's attention with the upshot that he was banned, that I actually had nothing to do with this.

I did NOT complain, report or do anything else in order to have him banned, and also I'm not aware of anyone else who has.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back