Prostate cancer. A useful resource. (7 Viewers)

May 23, 2015
Weston super Mare
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Since 1992
I hope this helps.

There is a lot that you can do.

I keep myself very fit and always have done. In the three week lead to my prostatectomy I had post-it notes stuck all over the house incl the loo marked “Pelvic floor exercises” (don't do them during though !!)

I was doing them a dozen or so times a day.

I had the robotic surgery and put my very speedy recovery including fully functional waterworks
totally down to my fitness.
Yes I did pelvic floor exercises for a couple of weeks before the prostatectomy I didn't know about cancer much earlier and I am still doing them 4 weeks after surgery leaking is not excessive but how soon did you return to fully functioning waterworks.

OP
OP
Oldrat
Oct 24, 2020
Funster No
MH
VW
Exp
Since 2017
Yes I did pelvic floor exercises for a couple of weeks before the prostatectomy I didn't know about cancer much earlier and I am still doing them 4 weeks after surgery leaking is not excessive but how soon did you return to fully functioning waterworks.
I’d been doing PF exercises for about three weeks maybe a month beforehand.

I’d bought in a variety of different mens “Tenna” type pads as I hadn’t a clue what to expect.

I ended up throwing most of them away as it was only a few days/ a week before I didn’t need them.

I did however use the waterproof ‘covers’, the very thin ‘just in case’ inserts for a while as the odd time I was caught out with a cough or a sneeze.
But that didn’t last long.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
apologies for this, I have signed up for prostate awareness walk 11K steps every day in March

Do not feel obliged to contribute , but if you have found a fiver and don’t know what to do with it I would like to make my target

I have managed my steps for the first 2 days 👍 it’s quite a lot 🤔🙄

IMG_1940.png

IMG_1941.png

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Still awaiting appointment with consultant to agree my treatment, so many people have told me it’s the waiting that is the worst , they are right

As my treatment is likely to be hormone therapy followed by radio therapy I really can’t think why I am not already taking something 🤔🙁

Having had my prostate poked 12 times for biopsy I am also concerned that even if it hadn’t spread when checked it might have done now

For now I am at least partly distracted by the daily step count , lovely day today been out for a decent walk, well on track 4 days in 🙂👍

IMG_1955.png
image.jpg
IMG_1954.png

Jun 25, 2013
Funster No
Exp
Old wild camper in transit
As my treatment is likely to be hormone therapy followed by radio therapy I really can’t think why I am not already taking something 🤔🙁

Having had my prostate poked 12 times for biopsy I am also concerned that even if it hadn’t spread when checked it might have done now
Let me assure you ( i been thru it ) its so so slow growing ht injections will control it and RT will zap it . The prostrate will end up mashed , in a good way ! Stay getting them steps up . Let us know hiw many fractions you going to have but first its HT !

Jun 25, 2013
Funster No
Exp
After i had my treatment i asked for medical records didn't understand s lot of the medical terms but found it most interesting , even when i had the red card one day my bowel was too full and they wouldnt let the linear machine do its biz ! Until I emptied my bowel ! All in a days work for the nursing team !

Aug 22, 2007
essex
Funster No
MH
2017 sunlight t69s euro6
Exp
since 1999
had a meeting with the rt consultant last friday and he has made another app for me at the end of april . i have had 1 hormone jab which lasted for 1 month and 1 3month jab, he said if my blood test at the end of april shows a psa less than 1 i can start rt soon after. I am having 20 sessions at st barts in london but the hormone injections will continue for 2 years Dont worry about the time scale im 75 and been told something else will finish me off first even if i dont have treatment

Jun 25, 2013
Funster No
Exp
Dont worry about the time scale im 75 and been told something else will finish me off first even if i dont have treatment
Yes , proven by numbers

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Dont worry about the time scale im 75 and been told something else will finish me off first even if i dont have treatment

Yes , proven by numbers

I used to quote this until my own diagnosis, it definitely applies to 85% of prostate cancer cases, sadly though 10-15% where it spreads, most commonly to bones, have a 2-5 year life expectancy

That was my scary week waiting for bone scan results , thankfully then it hadn’t spread, but I can’t help but think the biopsy carries some risk of spreading by poking and the subsequent bleeding

Having been told I have high grade and aggressive cancer I just they would hurry up and do something

Jun 25, 2013
Funster No
Exp
bone scan
Thats what i can’t understand health trusts have different ways of treating pc , i never had a bone scan ???? True a small percentage , if not caught early spreads to the bones

Aug 22, 2007
essex
Funster No
MH
2017 sunlight t69s euro6
Exp
since 1999
I'm not frightened by my cancer but I'm really pi55ed off that I cant go abroad in the van , I am also waiting to have a biopsy on one of 4 basal cell carsonoma that needs to be removed , I have counted up and I have at least 27 hospital appointments so no hols

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Thats what i can’t understand health trusts have different ways of treating pc , i never had a bone scan ???? True a small percentage , if not caught early spreads to the bones

I think it depends on the position of the growth and size, they definitely mentioned the location of mine being significant , I think that’s what the ‘a’ is on my T3a diagnosis, but that’s only my guess

My Gleason score is 5/4 which I think is why I had the bone scan , a positive bone scan would mean it was T4 (stage 4), thankfully it was clear 👍

Jun 25, 2013
Funster No
Exp
I'm not frightened by my cancer but I'm really pi55ed off that I cant go abroad in the van ,
Same as me , unfortunately being a solo traveller i am not confident in my health to travel overseas anymore , still i had my fair share , i love scotland !

Aug 22, 2007
essex
Funster No
MH
2017 sunlight t69s euro6
Exp
since 1999
That don't bother me I just have too many appointments my gleason was also 5/4

Jan 17, 2014
Wellington, Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1977
I used to quote this until my own diagnosis, it definitely applies to 85% of prostate cancer cases, sadly though 10-15% where it spreads, most commonly to bones, have a 2-5 year life expectancy

That was my scary week waiting for bone scan results , thankfully then it hadn’t spread, but I can’t help but think the biopsy carries some risk of spreading by poking and the subsequent bleeding

Having been told I have high grade and aggressive cancer I just they would hurry up and do something
Hi David, I to was frustrated by the delays especially after having the start of my RT pushed forwards in two month steps. In the end I got more than a bit forceful in an email to both the PALS and the complaints department at my hospital trust. That was last Thursday afternoon, by Friday afternoon I had an appointment at least 'pencilled in' for the 25th March. Maybe the person(s) who received that email knew that I have no qualms about involving my local MP!

Don't be afraid to do the same.

You can find my diagnosis and treatment time line on the Macmillan Cancer Support forum. It's detailed in my profile (Osca2023) on that forum.

Best wishes and keep smiling.

Rod

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007

Yes my father lived 3 years after his aggressive prostate cancer spread throughout his body.
Sometimes it’s just your luck, glad yours hasn’t spread David.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I did rattle the cage quite hard this week, the cancer support unit did their best to reassure me things were moving along but said they would send an email

Letter arrived today, face to face with oncologist next Wednesday 20th March 👍 hoping it is to start treatment not just discuss it a bit more 🤔🙏

Did I mention my walking challenge 😁 :whistle2:

Thank you to those who have sponsored me, I am halfway through the month and still going strong despite the awful weather 👍

IMG_2004.png

Jan 17, 2014
Wellington, Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1977
I did rattle the cage quite hard this week, the cancer support unit did their best to reassure me things were moving along but said they would send an email

Letter arrived today, face to face with oncologist next Wednesday 20th March 👍 hoping it is to start treatment not just discuss it a bit more 🤔🙏

Did I mention my walking challenge 😁 :whistle2:

Thank you to those who have sponsored me, I am halfway through the month and still going strong despite the awful weather 👍

View attachment 875677
Good on you, I rattled the cage last week and now have an appointment on the 28th March with the radiotherapy unit.

I sent a curt email late in the afternoon on Thursday 7th, had a reply early on the Friday morning then another later in the day saying that I was pencilled in for W/C 25th. Yesterday (14th) I had a phone call offering me an appointment on the 28th and written confirmation this morning.

Nov 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 669
Exp
Since April 2013
A year on from my initial diagnosis, had an MRI a few weeks back and the usual PSA, the results today show that there is no increase at all and I have ben put on 6 monthly PSA revies from now. Very pleasing and I hope that you other guys have better news soon .

Jul 13, 2020
Leicester
Funster No
MH
'Inbetweeners'
Exp
Newbie. Motor home experience began on 1/8/2020.
Still awaiting appointment with consultant to agree my treatment, so many people have told me it’s the waiting that is the worst , they are right

For now I am at least partly distracted by the daily step count , lovely day today been out for a decent walk, well on track 4 days in 🙂👍

View attachment 871193View attachment 871194View attachment 871192

I was in the same boat. Finally started hormone therapy and counting down the 9 month waiting list for RT. Only about 7 months left to go. I do wonder from time to time what, if anything has progressed in the year I have been waiting.

Jun 25, 2013
Funster No
Exp
I was in the same boat. Finally started hormone therapy and counting down the 9 month waiting list for RT. Only about 7 months left to go. I do wonder from time to time what, if anything has progressed in the year I have been waiting.
What was your psa ? Its common i started ht in april and started rt jan no problem , 20 fractions 5yrs ago

Aug 22, 2007
essex
Funster No
MH
2017 sunlight t69s euro6
Exp
since 1999
mines taking some time due another blood test on 23/04 appt with consultant 29/04 it my psa is below 1 i can start rt but he did not say when. i will really hacked off if i have to wait 9 months also i was told i have to have hormone injections for 2 years which was a surprise

Jun 25, 2013
Funster No
Exp
That's low . Plus ht injections for 2yrs ,i only had 3 injections ,none after treatment v,gets back to my point different trusts have different ways of treating this cancer ???? Always surprised me theres no nationwide way of dealing with pc .

Aug 22, 2007
essex
Funster No
MH
2017 sunlight t69s euro6
Exp
since 1999
That's low . Plus ht injections for 2yrs ,i only had 3 injections ,none after treatment v,gets back to my point different trusts have different ways of treating this cancer ???? Always surprised me theres no nationwide way of dealing with pc .
ive had 2 already 1x1month and 1x3month with the next one due on 03/05 i think its time for a sort out with the consultant

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
mines taking some time due another blood test on 23/04 appt with consultant 29/04 it my psa is below 1 i can start rt but he did not say when. i will really hacked off if i have to wait 9 months also i was told i have to have hormone injections for 2 years which was a surprise
I've not asked the consultant but why is the hormone jab only for two years?
The other question I've been worrying about is what are the symptoms that show that the cancer is getting worse

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back