Prostate cancer. A useful resource. (1 Viewer)

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Back from my appt, apart from being told the cancer had done one , I have had the next best result 👍

Bone scan clear , cancer has not spread, or not enough to be detected , so my options before I went in were palliative 2-5 years life expectancy or and this is the straw I got, treatable 90% chance curable 15-20 year life expectancy

To say we are delighted is my understatement of the year, euphoric, radio therapy chosen rather than surgery

Back to trip planning when we know treatment timescales

Thankyou all for the support and good wishes , we are not over this, but the future looks a lot brighter today than yesterday

May 13, 2015
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Back from my appt, apart from being told the cancer had done one , I have had the next best result 👍

Bone scan clear , cancer has not spread, or not enough to be detected , so my options before I went in were palliative 2-5 years life expectancy or and this is the straw I got, treatable 90% chance curable 15-20 year life expectancy

To say we are delighted is my understatement of the year, euphoric, radio therapy chosen rather than surgery

Thankyou all for the support and good wishes , we are not over this, but the future looks a lot brighter today than yesterday
So very pleased for you David.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

arthur49

Free Member
Oct 24, 2009
Perth, Scotland
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
30+ years
Hormone holiday they call it , luckily i only had 3injections BUT i still get the after effects . One tip for you guys , when going thru the treatment RT /HT try and keep your john Thomas in working order , if you dont chances are you will end up big time ED .
I had radiotherapy and two years of hormone injections which I found pretty debilitating (weak, no energy, no libido - which is tough on your other half as well).
When asked by my Consultant, lovely Irish lady, how I was getting on with hormone treatment, rather than admit the libido issue, I opted for " .... well I find I have an irresistible desire to buy cushions" ie feminised.
Trying to maintain a sense of humour and live for the moment, I found to be beneficial, and 6 years since diagnosis I'm fine

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
So happy to hear your good news, will need to arrange a meet so we can share a Gin to celebrate it.
Can we come too 😃
Fabulous news David , you and Bev must be so relieved. We’re both so very pleased for you 💞 big big hugs x

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Both treatments were same success rate

I was told at my previous appt when initially told I had cancer (only last week seems ages ago) that both had same success rate and I said then I would rather not have surgery based on a family experience with complications

I perceive less risk this way, but still to meet the cancer consultant when the final decision is made in a couple of weeks

Apparently once you start on hormone treatment a prostate removal is more difficult

Jun 25, 2013
Funster No
Exp
Old wild camper in transit
Since I was diagnosed I am amazed at how many friends and acquaintances have had PC the doctor said that more men die with it than from it but I would recommend having a psa blood test it’s not 100% but it is better than nothing.
Oh yes ! The amount I know is over 10 !

May 8, 2011
God's county. Helmsley, North Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
IH Tio 630 RL
Exp
Since April 1846 but have always camped.
I was told at my previous appt when initially told I had cancer (only last week seems ages ago) that both had same success rate and I said then I would rather not have surgery based on a family experience with complications

I perceive less risk this way, but still to meet the cancer consultant when the final decision is made in a couple of weeks

Apparently once you start on hormone treatment a prostate removal is more difficult
A mate and I were diagnosed at the same time. I elected for radio therapy but he went for the surgery, even now 2 years on he is still wetting himself and having other problems.

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years

The same applies if you have radiotherapy . The prostate cannot be removed surgically after.

Aug 22, 2007
essex
Funster No
MH
2017 sunlight t69s euro6
Exp
since 1999

david please explain "the cancer has done one" thanks

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Really? What can they give and why is it important if I know it reduces the reading by about 50%
I was diagnose,here in Spain, with bph back in 2017 .Put on Duodart ,which is Tamsulosina. When the consultant signed me off back to my doctor he stated that he would prescribe Permixon, which is lipidosterolic extract of Serenoa repens & is commonly used to treat lower urinary tract symptoms related to benign prostatic enlargement.
I was told to take them either;
1 every 12 hours starting 6 months before next psa test or
every day @ 1 a day.
At no time did he state that the Tamsulosina gave a low reading of 50% .He just stated artificially low ,w& his inference I took to mean it was well below 50%.
I use the second method ,every day x one,as that ensures if I ever have a psa test elsewhere & without notice then the readings hould be reasonably correct.
Mine at present is 1,49 ng/Ml on a 0-3,10 scale. Think readings are different here to Uk measurements.

Excellent news.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Just back from urologist to find out my results from the urodynamic tests, severe blockage in my urethra caused by my prostate. He has recommended the Rezum treatment, this is due to my age and less side effects. There is a small chance it won’t work, I suppose that’s the same with most procedures. He also mentioned although they think it should last as it’s a relatively new procedure they can’t guarantee, he said he’d be hopeful of 10 to 15 year’s minimum. If it doesn’t work and that’s a big if he would then recommend TURPs, more side effects with that one so that’s why it’s not a first option for a youngster like me 😂😂 I’m 56.
Offered to do it on 2/3 but as we’ve planned to go a way for a few days the following week I’ve booked in for 26/3, don’t want to head away with a catheter in 😂😂
I’m currently off work due to lack of sleep and don’t intend to return before this is sorted, just in time to hand in my notice 😂

Sep 7, 2020
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun Ti
Exp
Recent
Just back from urologist to find out my results from the urodynamic tests, severe blockage in my urethra caused by my prostate. He has recommended the Rezum treatment, this is due to my age and less side effects. There is a small chance it won’t work, I suppose that’s the same with most procedures. He also mentioned although they think it should last as it’s a relatively new procedure they can’t guarantee, he said he’d be hopeful of 10 to 15 year’s minimum. If it doesn’t work and that’s a big if he would then recommend TURPs, more side effects with that one so that’s why it’s not a first option for a youngster like me 😂😂 I’m 56.
Offered to do it on 2/3 but as we’ve planned to go a way for a few days the following week I’ve booked in for 26/3, don’t want to head away with a catheter in 😂😂
I’m currently off work due to lack of sleep and don’t intend to return before this is sorted, just in time to hand in my notice 😂
That's interesting. Is that private or through the NHS? I would imagine private? I'm starting to think about having some treatment as my urolift is less effective than it was.

Oct 18, 2022
South West
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 1992
That's interesting. Is that private or through the NHS? I would imagine private? I'm starting to think about having some treatment as my urolift is less effective than it was.
How long ago did you have urolift? Mine was done over 2 years ago - still much improved.

Sep 7, 2020
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun Ti
Exp
Recent
How long ago did you have urolift? Mine was done over 2 years ago - still much improved.
About 3 and a half years ago. It's ok, certainly better then before having it but I've never really had a huge improvement with it to be honest and still have to take the meds I was taking before. I think mine was always at risk of not being successful because I have a small median lobe. I was hoping for more improvement than I ever got basically.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp

Yes it’s private through Bupa which is thankfully paid for by my work, if I had to go through NHS I was told it would be over a year before my first appointment. Unfortunately Dumfries hospital doesn’t have a resident Urologist, instead they have one visiting weekly.

Hopefully you get something sorted soon

Sep 7, 2020
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun Ti
Exp
Recent
Yes it’s private through Bupa which is thankfully paid for by my work, if I had to go through NHS I was told it would be over a year before my first appointment. Unfortunately Dumfries hospital doesn’t have a resident Urologist, instead they have one visiting weekly.

Hopefully you get something sorted soon
When I first looked at Urolift I was in a job with BUPA but the urologist wasn't happy about the biopsy I had previously so I had to have a fusion biopsy done first and thenwait for the prostate to recover. By the time that happened I changed jobs and couldn't have it done unless I paid or wait for NHS!

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
You can always contact "Chaps " (on their Chaps website )it's a Charity that does tests around the country, I go once a year , but , they like donations, they usually where and when in my area have a Retired Consultant who gives everyone a talk as you arrive for your appointment,worth £25 I think
And Chaps testing events, along with shedloads of other organisations' info/testing sessions , are booked via www.mypsatest.org.uk and the ones open to the public will vary in price depending on whether the organisation can subsidise the price of it - so access the Website above, click the 'Events' tab, and then search for one that suits you wherever you happen to live or want to go!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back