Proper SOG v Autotrails Attempt at a SOG!

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by zac, Sep 16, 2016.

1. zac

zac Funster Life Member

Anybody have any experience with both a "Proper" sog the one where it either vents up into the roof or under the van or through hole in the outside toilet door, as opposed to the ones that are now fitted as standard in the new autotrails and other vehicles?. These ones seem to vent only into some sort of filter underneath the actual toilet cassette. There doesnt seem to be any other hole that it can go through.

Ours fitted in our 2015 model Autotrail doesent seem to do a lot even though the fan comes on when pressed. Just wondered if it was worth changing it for one that vents through the roof or door or floor.

Thoughts and suggestions welcome!

2. Ber090

Ber090 Funster Life Member

Hi Zac, we fitted the "proper" sog kit (venting through door) and it seems to do what it says on the tin. Payback will be about 4 years in our case ( versus buying fluid)
    Cheers
    Bernie

3. zac

zac Funster Life Member

Did you have the other sog mentioned fitted with the venting going into a filter and then a proper sog fitted or did you go from a normal cassette to a sog? didnt want to pay for the "proper sog" if it was essentially the same although I am thinking it will be a lot better than the autotrail version or similar on the newer motorhomes.

4. Scotties

Scotties Funster Life Member

Hi the Thetford vent system is not the SOG the Thetford only vents after flushing (although you can press the button to activate during use).

The SOG however has a micro switch fitted to the opener paddle so automatically draws air through the cassette during use. You don't have to use chemicals and it does not need the filter repacing every season like the Thetford unit.

You will get the 'knockers' criticise them but it truly 'humanises' the internal van environment.(y)

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. zac

zac Funster Life Member

Kind of what I was looking for, so i think i will need to get the proper sog fitted. Cant see it being a big job considering all the electrics are already there. not for me to do though so now next question who can knows anyone near basingstoke that can fit one?

• Like Like x 1
  6. zac

zac Funster Life Member

One more issue is that the outside toilet door is right next to the habitation door so ideally i would not want that venting there, may be a bigger job than anticipated as would need to go through roof or floor.

7. ivorantony

ivorantony Funster

true but with a little bit of DIY (y)you can wire in a small PIR that brings on the fan at the same time a small row of LEDs to light you path to the loo when it's dark without disturbing any one, you can adjust the time the PIR works from seconds to 30 mins or more,
    this way the fan is already running before you move the slide,
    my C250 also vents below the Motorhome after the charcoal filter and works extremely well, and to keep costs down buy some charcoal filter blocks from an aquarium and cut to size, much cheaper than thetford own,

8. zac

zac Funster Life Member

Interesting, what's the DIY solution to make the fan come on with the PIR ? is it complicated?

9. zac

zac Funster Life Member

another question, I know that you dont use chemicals with a SOG but i have also read that you can still use the green stuff to minimise the odour when emptying. Anyone know if this is correct event though it will be pretty pointless as this is more expense but always good to know everything :)

10. ivorantony

ivorantony Funster

very simple! a small 12 volt switching PIR with a direct fused feed to the fan and in my case a small row of LEDs at feet level, adjust for the time you want and that's it,
    I did put another fan downstream of the first to give extra airflow but that was just me you probably won't need it,
    as far as chemicals go we use lydol / aldi bio washing up liquid, a small capful helps to clean and breakdown solids, no problems with smells when emptying,

• Useful Useful x 1
  11. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

You've not said why you feel a "proper sog would be better
    Do the new Thetford ones not work and cause smells inside the van

12. eddievanbitz

eddievanbitz Trader - Funster

The "knockers" :rofl::rofl:

You get a smell of crap outside the van everytime you flush! Not recommended for vans with the loo on the awning side. You sit there with your mates having a BBQ and "Poooooooooooooo" Whats THAT smell!

To be fair you only have to mess around coupling and uncoupling pipes and clips on your toilet tank for four years to break even. Keep the van for five years all faffing around and smell means that you'll have saved the cost of a bottle of hygienic toilet fluid

Believe it of not, some people don't even like them LOL

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Useful Useful x 1
  13. zac

zac Funster Life Member

I use the blue aqua kem sachets but still smells manage to get into the van. They are better than the green stuff we used previously and from my experience better than the aldi bio stuff. I thought having this filter thingy would be a lot better. I don't want it vented on the awning side. It was ok so maybe filter wants changing so will also look at that as well. Just was interested to see if anyone had the same as us but then changed it for a proper sog

14. Ber090

Ber090 Funster Life Member

Hi Zac, putting aside eddies promo for SOG, I can only tell you what our own experience has been. Vent and charcoal filter are on same side as awning. No smells to date. I guess if you don't change filter as soon as any smell occurs then you will get pongs. Our loo is Dometic and they do pre prep for fitting. Hole drilling in door is only part some folk don't like doing. Total job is about 20mins.
    Cheers
    Bernie

• Useful Useful x 1
  15. The Nomad

The Nomad Funster

I fitted a proper SOG extractor , vented through toilet cassette door. Did the same with our two previous motorhomes.
    We find it excellent and don't need to buy/carry/use any toilet chemicals at all.

• Like Like x 1
  16. zac

zac Funster Life Member

But did you have one of the new type toilets as Mentioned in the first post before fitting the proper sog?

17. Scotties

Scotties Funster Life Member

Zak, yes had it fitted even though the Thetford vent was already there. Major manufacturers like Hymer now offer the SOG as a upgrade. The carbon filter really does work and the roof vent is always an option.

People with RV's are really capable of causing more whiff around a camp site,;)

18. zac

zac Funster Life Member

Thanks for the info much appreciated.

19. Sidney

Sidney Funster

Hearsay?

I retrofitted the Thetford fan system. In the kit are two new PCBs, a new operating switch incorporating a second switch to manually switch on/off, a new decal together with the fan and wiring.

When you touch the flush button the fan comes on. When the fan is running a light illuminates under the control panel. Pressing at this location switches the fan off. If you do not switch off the fan it runs for about 30 seconds and stops.

Foul odours are removed from the cassette by the vent tube which is already built into the Thetford cassette. Air is drawn through the tube via the filter and expelled out under the van.

It is suggested that activated charcoal filter is replaced every season. I fitted the system 18 months ago and it still smells just fine.

When I remove the cassette there is no need to remove any additional pipework or hose. There's nothing on the door and no micro switch to clean or sanitise.

If you want a SOG you must be a fan of Heath Robinson and like spending more money (yes the Thetford kit is cheaper).

Lastly there seems to be a suggestion in the industry that SOG is some sort of sewage treatment works. It has no physical, chemical, and biological processes to treat waste suggesting anything along these lines is false advertising.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  20. tonyidle

tonyidle Funster

No suggestion from me that one or the other is superior but I do know that SOG has been around for a long time. A long time before Thetford thought about ventilation of any sort. The SOG advantage (unless I've misunderstood your explanation) is that it operates whilst the toilet is in use (assuming blade open for solids) which means that there's no chance of toilet odours permeating the living area. Whether or not the Thetford is cheaper/better the SOG simply works. I'm on my fourth (four different vehicles).

• Thanks Thanks x 1