Proper SOG v Autotrails Attempt at a SOG! (1 Viewer)

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
Anybody have any experience with both a "Proper" sog the one where it either vents up into the roof or under the van or through hole in the outside toilet door, as opposed to the ones that are now fitted as standard in the new autotrails and other vehicles?. These ones seem to vent only into some sort of filter underneath the actual toilet cassette. There doesnt seem to be any other hole that it can go through.

Ours fitted in our 2015 model Autotrail doesent seem to do a lot even though the fan comes on when pressed. Just wondered if it was worth changing it for one that vents through the roof or door or floor.

Thoughts and suggestions welcome!

Ber090

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 12, 2012
West Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick
Exp
Since 2012
Hi Zac, we fitted the "proper" sog kit (venting through door) and it seems to do what it says on the tin. Payback will be about 4 years in our case ( versus buying fluid)
Cheers
Bernie

OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
Hi Zac, we fitted the "proper" sog kit (venting through door) and it seems to do what it says on the tin. Payback will be about 4 years in our case ( versus buying fluid)
Cheers
Bernie

Did you have the other sog mentioned fitted with the venting going into a filter and then a proper sog fitted or did you go from a normal cassette to a sog? didnt want to pay for the "proper sog" if it was essentially the same although I am thinking it will be a lot better than the autotrail version or similar on the newer motorhomes.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Scotties

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2006
Hi the Thetford vent system is not the SOG the Thetford only vents after flushing (although you can press the button to activate during use).

The SOG however has a micro switch fitted to the opener paddle so automatically draws air through the cassette during use. You don't have to use chemicals and it does not need the filter repacing every season like the Thetford unit.

You will get the 'knockers' criticise them but it truly 'humanises' the internal van environment.(y)

OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
Hi the Thetford vent system is not the SOG the Thetford only vents after flushing (although you can press the button to activate during use).

The SOG however has a micro switch fitted to the opener paddle so automatically draws air through the cassette during use. You don't have to use chemicals and it does not need the filter repacing every season like the Thetford unit.

You will get the 'knockers' criticise them but it truly 'humanises' the internal van environment.(y)
Kind of what I was looking for, so i think i will need to get the proper sog fitted. Cant see it being a big job considering all the electrics are already there. not for me to do though so now next question who can knows anyone near basingstoke that can fit one?

OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
One more issue is that the outside toilet door is right next to the habitation door so ideally i would not want that venting there, may be a bigger job than anticipated as would need to go through roof or floor.

Jan 22, 2013
London SE
Funster No
MH
A class Adria vision I707
Exp
since 1971

true but with a little bit of DIY (y)you can wire in a small PIR that brings on the fan at the same time a small row of LEDs to light you path to the loo when it's dark without disturbing any one, you can adjust the time the PIR works from seconds to 30 mins or more,
this way the fan is already running before you move the slide,
my C250 also vents below the Motorhome after the charcoal filter and works extremely well, and to keep costs down buy some charcoal filter blocks from an aquarium and cut to size, much cheaper than thetford own,

OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
true but with a little bit of DIY (y)you can wire in a small PIR that brings on the fan at the same time a small row of LEDs to light you path to the loo when it's dark without disturbing any one, you can adjust the time the PIR works from seconds to 30 mins or more,
this way the fan is already running before you move the slide,
my C250 also vents below the Motorhome after the charcoal filter and works extremely well, and to keep costs down buy some charcoal filter blocks from an aquarium and cut to size, much cheaper than thetford own,
Interesting, what's the DIY solution to make the fan come on with the PIR ? is it complicated?

OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
another question, I know that you dont use chemicals with a SOG but i have also read that you can still use the green stuff to minimise the odour when emptying. Anyone know if this is correct event though it will be pretty pointless as this is more expense but always good to know everything :)

Jan 22, 2013
London SE
Funster No
MH
A class Adria vision I707
Exp
since 1971
Interesting, what's the DIY solution to make the fan come on with the PIR ? is it complicated?

very simple! a small 12 volt switching PIR with a direct fused feed to the fan and in my case a small row of LEDs at feet level, adjust for the time you want and that's it,
I did put another fan downstream of the first to give extra airflow but that was just me you probably won't need it,
as far as chemicals go we use lydol / aldi bio washing up liquid, a small capful helps to clean and breakdown solids, no problems with smells when emptying,

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
You've not said why you feel a "proper sog would be better
Do the new Thetford ones not work and cause smells inside the van

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989

The "knockers" :rofl::rofl:

You get a smell of crap outside the van everytime you flush! Not recommended for vans with the loo on the awning side. You sit there with your mates having a BBQ and "Poooooooooooooo" Whats THAT smell!

To be fair you only have to mess around coupling and uncoupling pipes and clips on your toilet tank for four years to break even. Keep the van for five years all faffing around and smell means that you'll have saved the cost of a bottle of hygienic toilet fluid

Believe it of not, some people don't even like them LOL

OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
You've not said why you feel a "proper sog would be better
Do the new Thetford ones not work and cause smells inside the van
I use the blue aqua kem sachets but still smells manage to get into the van. They are better than the green stuff we used previously and from my experience better than the aldi bio stuff. I thought having this filter thingy would be a lot better. I don't want it vented on the awning side. It was ok so maybe filter wants changing so will also look at that as well. Just was interested to see if anyone had the same as us but then changed it for a proper sog

Ber090

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 12, 2012
West Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick
Exp
Since 2012
Hi Zac, putting aside eddies promo for SOG, I can only tell you what our own experience has been. Vent and charcoal filter are on same side as awning. No smells to date. I guess if you don't change filter as soon as any smell occurs then you will get pongs. Our loo is Dometic and they do pre prep for fitting. Hole drilling in door is only part some folk don't like doing. Total job is about 20mins.
Cheers
Bernie

The Nomad

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
Wandering in Europe
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Many years
I fitted a proper SOG extractor , vented through toilet cassette door. Did the same with our two previous motorhomes.
We find it excellent and don't need to buy/carry/use any toilet chemicals at all.

Reactions: zac
OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
I fitted a proper SOG extractor , vented through toilet cassette door. Did the same with our two previous motorhomes.
We find it excellent and don't need to buy/carry/use any toilet chemicals at all.
But did you have one of the new type toilets as Mentioned in the first post before fitting the proper sog?

Scotties

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2006
But did you have one of the new type toilets as Mentioned in the first post before fitting the proper sog?

Zak, yes had it fitted even though the Thetford vent was already there. Major manufacturers like Hymer now offer the SOG as a upgrade. The carbon filter really does work and the roof vent is always an option.

People with RV's are really capable of causing more whiff around a camp site,;)

OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
Zak, yes had it fitted even though the Thetford vent was already there. Major manufacturers like Hymer now offer the SOG as a upgrade. The carbon filter really does work and the roof vent is always an option.

People with RV's are really capable of causing more whiff around a camp site,;)
Thanks for the info much appreciated.

Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years

Hearsay?

I retrofitted the Thetford fan system. In the kit are two new PCBs, a new operating switch incorporating a second switch to manually switch on/off, a new decal together with the fan and wiring.

When you touch the flush button the fan comes on. When the fan is running a light illuminates under the control panel. Pressing at this location switches the fan off. If you do not switch off the fan it runs for about 30 seconds and stops.

Foul odours are removed from the cassette by the vent tube which is already built into the Thetford cassette. Air is drawn through the tube via the filter and expelled out under the van.

It is suggested that activated charcoal filter is replaced every season. I fitted the system 18 months ago and it still smells just fine.

When I remove the cassette there is no need to remove any additional pipework or hose. There's nothing on the door and no micro switch to clean or sanitise.

If you want a SOG you must be a fan of Heath Robinson and like spending more money (yes the Thetford kit is cheaper).

Lastly there seems to be a suggestion in the industry that SOG is some sort of sewage treatment works. It has no physical, chemical, and biological processes to treat waste suggesting anything along these lines is false advertising.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Hearsay?

I retrofitted the Thetford fan system. In the kit are two new PCBs, a new operating switch incorporating a second switch to manually switch on/off, a new decal together with the fan and wiring.

When you touch the flush button the fan comes on. When the fan is running a light illuminates under the control panel. Pressing at this location switches the fan off. If you do not switch off the fan it runs for about 30 seconds and stops.

Foul odours are removed from the cassette by the vent tube which is already built into the Thetford cassette. Air is drawn through the tube via the filter and expelled out under the van.

It is suggested that activated charcoal filter is replaced every season. I fitted the system 18 months ago and it still smells just fine.

When I remove the cassette there is no need to remove any additional pipework or hose. There's nothing on the door and no micro switch to clean or sanitise.

If you want a SOG you must be a fan of Heath Robinson and like spending more money (yes the Thetford kit is cheaper).

Lastly there seems to be a suggestion in the industry that SOG is some sort of sewage treatment works. It has no physical, chemical, and biological processes to treat waste suggesting anything along these lines is false advertising.
No suggestion from me that one or the other is superior but I do know that SOG has been around for a long time. A long time before Thetford thought about ventilation of any sort. The SOG advantage (unless I've misunderstood your explanation) is that it operates whilst the toilet is in use (assuming blade open for solids) which means that there's no chance of toilet odours permeating the living area. Whether or not the Thetford is cheaper/better the SOG simply works. I'm on my fourth (four different vehicles).

Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
No issue here. The SOG has been around for an age but Thetford seem to have overtaken them in designing their product to be integrated into their C250 WCs.

If I want I can put the fan on with the lid and seat up or down, with the blade open or closed, while sitting standing or taking a shower. Switching off is the same.

If I don't choose to manually of operate the fan it will only come on when I press the flush and run on a timer regardless of the blade being open or closed.

On the C250 running the fan with the blade shut is like sucking on a tap when it is turned off. I suspect that the SOG may draw air from the enclosure around the cassette via the Thetford built in vent which opens when the cassette is pushed home this won't make things any better though because the access door is sealed and the WC is normally sealed to the wall/floor.

But the SOG is the best solution for the earlier C200 thunderbox

Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
Excuse my ignorance. I have a 2015 Burstner and I note a plastic tube running down from under the cassette housing, through the double floor and to the underside of the vehicle. This seems to coincide with an orifice at the bottom of the cassette. There are no fans or filters that I can see. Is this for an optional sog?

Hellski

Free Member
Mar 28, 2016
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto 76 LE
Exp
Hearsay?

Could you please advise where you got the kit from and was it easy to install?

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
We have had the Thetford vent system on both our motorhomes. Worked well at keeping smells out. Seems it can be easily switched on at any time in the "process", with a touch of a button, unlike the SOG which has to wait until the blade is opened.

Having said that I take SOG's claims of aiding digestion with a large pinch of salt given that new air can only come in for the few seconds that the blade is open. After that the system is sealed and if the fan keeps running all that is happening is a slight reduction in the pressure in the tank. It seems to me that both systems are really working by getting rid of the smell to somewhere else, i.e. to your neighbours pitch!

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Excuse my ignorance. I have a 2015 Burstner and I note a plastic tube running down from under the cassette housing, through the double floor and to the underside of the vehicle. This seems to coincide with an orifice at the bottom of the cassette. There are no fans or filters that I can see. Is this for an optional sog?
No, I don't think so. My 2003 Hymer had the same arrangement whereby a vent tube linked the pressure relief valve on the top of the cassette (C200) to the outside air (under the floor). When I fitted a SOG, several years ago, I disabled this tube and blocked the open end below the van with a squirt of silicone sealant. The SOG (as fitted to a C200) has its own vent tube that connects to a spigot that locks into the same hole that the standard Thetford venting valve normally fits in.

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
I drink a capful of Old Spice aftershave before I use the loo. No issues.

Apr 23, 2015
berkshire
Funster No
MH
autocruise gleneagle
Exp
since 2005
From the above discussion, I am still a little confused. Are you saying the Thetford SOG is not as good as the other one? W've just ordered a Thetford, but now a little concerned that it won't do the job.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Having said that I take SOG's claims of aiding digestion with a large pinch of salt given that new air can only come in for the few seconds that the blade is open. After that the system is sealed and if the fan keeps running all that is happening is a slight reduction in the pressure in the tank. It seems to me that both systems are really working by getting rid of the smell to somewhere else, i.e. to your neighbours pitch!

I'm not sure that SOG claim that the fan is the main cause of decomposition. Having checked their brochure that I downloaded at the time I fitted mine (7 years ago) they refer to increased airflow aiding decomposition. The way the SOG is installed allows free air access to the cassette at all times, not just when the fan is running to vent the system. There is an open air vent via the tube and through the fan, even when it is not running. This means that gases can escape to the outside because the cassette is not a sealed system. I have found that the SOG idea works very well and it is one of the best accessories I have fitted. Practical experience suggests that one of the key factors determining rate of decomposition is ambient temperature. In southern France this August (circa 30º) breakdown was very rapid; in Britain in winter, it can take several days.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
At the risk of setting another hare running we have a SOG but soon realised using it without anything to reduce smells was a non-starter. The fan will prevent smells escaping in use but it doesn't help when you come to empty it!

Like many others we use a dribble of a cheap bio laundry liquid, putting it in after emptying. But cheap is a relevant term as they cost several pounds a bottle, typically something like €8 in Europe, a bit less if you are lucky. :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back