Propane Charging

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by bullrush, Sep 6, 2012.

1. bullrush

bullrush Read Only Funster

I expect this thread has been discussed before so being new to forums here goes :-
    I have been refilling my Propane bottles for a few years now in garages selling LPG but this practice is frowned upon and I just can not see why.
    When filling allways make sure you are using an empty bottle and go by the guide supplied ie 85% of bottle capasity. If you can change an empty bottle then you can recharge one in the garage.
    There charging adapters sell for about £45 on Ebay and after 4 refills you are in profit.
    This is especially handy when on the contenent (another adaptor required)
    when on a long stay during the cold weather but again the garage owners are not to happy so do it descreatly.

• Like Like x 4
  2. vwalan

vwalan Funster

keep your head down or wear a crash helmet . low flying remarks might go your way . snap . been doing it since 76.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Terry

Terry Funster

Should be 80 % :Wink: IE 3.9 kg bottle = 7.8 ltrs gas -6kgb = 12 ltrs gas etc,etc
    You also got robbed on price :BigGrin:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LPG-Propa...710?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2321cb4406
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LPG-Propa...457?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2321cb4309
    terry

• Like Like x 1
  4. vwalan

vwalan Funster

actually if you get a 13kg bottle thts after the 80% 6kg is after as well rule of thumb 6kg is 12 litres . put less if you want .
    just reaized thats what terry just said ./ i cant read properly . i must have been gassed as a child ha ha .

Last edited: Sep 6, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  5. johnp10

johnp10 Funster

Last summer I saw a brain dead pillock filling a gas cylinder (not gaslow) with a mickey mouse pigtail at a filling station whilst I was filling up.
    I informed him that not only are these cylinders not user refillable, but thefuel companys dont allow it on safety grounds.
    I politely asked him to stop filling until I had left for my safety, at which he came out with a load of f's and b's.
    I reported him to the garage operator, who promptly turned the pump off.
    I dont care how long you've been doing it or how safe you think it is, it's unsafe, particularly since the brain dead pillock in question had the thing laid on it's side (a major no no) in his car boot.
    Why do people who spend a fortune on motorhomes try to cut corners at the expense of basic safety?
    I suppose when the first brain dead pillock goes up with a bang it will be the garage's fault?
    If it was safe and legal, the fuel companies would be encourageing it.

Keep doing it, but not near me.
    If I see it I WILL report it, I value mine and my family's life more than your wallet.

End of inerest in this, we 've been here before.

Oh, one last query. This talk of cylinder weights in relation to fill: do you fill with the cylinders sitting on bathroom scales?

• Like Like x 8
  6. vwalan

vwalan Funster

is that your interest or the interest of others . ?
    smile your on candid camera .

7. johnp10

johnp10 Funster

Mine, Alan.
    We've been here before and will again go around in circles with those with a brain accepting it's unsafe, and those without saying how long they,ve been doing it.
    Remember the cylinders are the property of the gas companies, who ban self filling for safety as well as commercial resons.

I'm going before I get bored with this issue (again), or before the self styled, unqualified dangerous goods experts come along with the usual crap.

Oh, one last query. This talk of cylinder weights in relation to fill: do you fill with the cylinders sitting on bathroom scales?

• Like Like x 3
  8. CHRI$

CHRI$ Funster

never seen the point of illegally filling gas bottles:Doh:
    i have gaslow,i can and do top up my bottles whenever i visit a fueling station,no need to wait till the bottles are empty,no need to go under cover,and when i have finished with my gaslow system i will sell it on and get my money back.:thumb:
    i use 47kg bottles for my central heating and cannot fill them cheaper than i buy them for and they deliver them and connect them, i dont need to touch them.:thumb:
    i still would not fill the 47kg bottles if i saved 50% its illegal and unsafe:RollEyes:

• Like Like x 1
  9. vwalan

vwalan Funster

but you cant save with the 47kg bottles but you could save at home with a tank .45.6 i was quoted yesterday from flogas if i change to them and cheaper tank rental. might do it . been with calor but needs must. they also mentioned 45 plus vat at 5%if i open an acount with them for domestric gas. 24 plus for 19 kg bottles . seems cheap. i use the fillers in emergency . normally would use spanish or morocan bottles . much cheaper . get home with two full bottles and that sees me through the summer in the truck . but its nice to know i can top up if needed in other countries . wish we had prices like maroc about 4 quid to fill a 12 kg bottle . thats exchange .
    its not ilegal .you can buy bottles in many countries just for filling .

• Like Like x 1
  10. CHRI$

CHRI$ Funster

had a tank in the front garden suplyed by calor free of charged ,car crashed into it and pushed it off its plinth calor refitted it free,and claimed off his insurance:Smile:
    twelve months later i caught the driver on the fiddle while filling it and went to bottles.
    the driver said it was full but i could see the condensation line only a third the way up the tank,so pulled him about it and asked him to prove it was full by the autoshut off,he managed to get another 150lt in it, but my ticket said 500lt delivered,and he realised i was on to him,and said sorry mate i thought it was full,i did'nt argue i just canceled the contract and changed over to bottles:thumb:

11. Emmenay

Emmenay Read Only Funster

"but this practice is frowned upon and I just can not see why"

Now where is my bag of popcorn :hardhat: :imoutahere:

12. CHRI$

CHRI$ Funster

cause there is no 80% safety shut off valve on calor bottles,there is on gaslow:thumb:

13. vwalan

vwalan Funster

ive had a 1200 litre tank for years . they only charge for what goes in . should be a computerized read out . . my tank was free but they charge 16.15 every quarter. not usually noticed but in winter i let the tank get really low before i leave then i notice it as no gas to pay for . i thought of changing to bottles last year . but as i stayed here tank was cheaper . i can hook up to a bottle if i run out . got all the fittings in place . was handy years ago if didnt want a big fill up. as it is there is now a flogas depot at the end of my road so bottles are probably the way .
    they also have an auto gas pump . is on one of olleys list s now i hope .
    big easy space for bigger rv,s .

as to the 80%shut off valve there should be an 80-90 % shut off at the pumps .
    there isnt one on calor tanks . there is a bleed off but can fill to 90% with ther bleed of shut . then their pump stops . very occasionaly one of the trucks can get my guage to 95 %.

14. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

"this practice is frowned upon and I just can not see why."

As others have said, dangerous and illegal. If it were not the adaptors would be available everywhere, not just on eBay.

Never mind what standards - or lack of - are applied in other countries, do what you like there but act legally and responsibly here.

• Like Like x 2
  15. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

What Calor say ..

16. Terry

Terry Funster

Yet another load of I'll informed twaddle :BigGrin: It simply is not illegal to fill your own bottles :Eeek: It is recommend that you do not fill them :Smile:
    As to being dangerous there is probably less danger filling a bottle with a adapter than there is to filling a refill system bottle :Smile:No pipes and joints or linkage to leek :Doh: no 80% gauge to fail or anything like that so less to go wrong :thumb: There are lot's of posts on refillable bottles going wrong, pigtails leaking, 80% gauge going faulty etc etc None about a adapter going wrong :Doh:indeed just about the only thing to go wrong is it could snap thus rendering it useless:BigGrin: Then there is human error :Eeek: but I put it to you if you cannot do your 2 x table you should not be using one anyway
    Terry

• Like Like x 1
  17. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

Except, Terry, it is NOT your bottle.

The bottle is always the property of Calor!

18. Emmenay

Emmenay Read Only Funster

Just to clarify, "but this practice is frowned upon and I just can not see why" is the OP's opinion not mine, no no no not mine....:Eeek::thumb:

19. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

In fact, if you didn't sign the original contract and have a Calor bottle, it is not being rented by you and therefore it is stolen goods!
    It is well known that Calor do the rounds at car boot sales and repossess their bottles from time to time!

20. Terry

Terry Funster

:Doh:
    :Doh: :Doh::Doh:who said its a Calor bottle ? :Wink:also before anyone jumps on Jim's post we went over this last year-laws are past by parliament not by Calor recommend practice
    Terry