Propane Calor Gas Refils? (1 Viewer)

Mar 12, 2012
Bridgend, South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Just started!
We use two 6Kg (Orange) Calor gas bottles in our van. To refill locally costs £37, that is swap empty for full.

I notice on eBay there are these:
1689671539432.png

I'm unsure if it's easy to find refil stations - do you do it yourself - I'm told it's a lot cheaper or is it a no go?

The eBay fitting is circa £30

Any advice/comments?

Thanks

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I worked for air products for a bit after I left the military. I would fill lpg bottles with basic fast connect hardware. It was done on weight the gas would stop filling once the bottles tare weight was taken and how meany kilos of lpg you wanted to put in. Simple fast and easy. Now filling yourself on a ordinary log bottle is dangerous as it will overfill 😱
Not if you take your hand off the button at the desired amount.

Your petrol tank will also overfill if you don't release the trigger but most folk seem capable of that 🤷‍♂️

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
hmm...not a great deal. They are £189 each brand new. External filling kit/hose is £76. I never understand why people use two. Do you have two petrol tanks in your car?
This is what I have for sale, plus the bottles are full. ;)

Upvote 1

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
Not sure Calor have directly said refilling their cylinders is illegal. They have said it's dangerous and is also against their own t&cs which given that you hire a cylinder rather than own it means the refilled is in breach of contract.

Refilling on a commercial basis by a lpg supplier would be a big problem for that supplier against all sorts of regulations and duties of care. Similarly even an individual refilling a cylinder in the UK, whilst that individual may have limited duty of care, the supplying station has many issues under
Health and Safety at Work Act, the Dangerous Substances and Explosive Atmospheres Regulations, and the Carriage of Dangerous Goods and Use of Transportable Pressure Equipment Regulations.

An old calor article: https://www.calor.co.uk/news-and-vi...refilling-of-lpg-cylinders-at-petrol-stations

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2019
Bucks
Funster No
MH
Adria PVC
Exp
Rented a few times...now an owner.
What a load of tosh.

Simple mathematics gets you 80% of 22 litres.

If you are incapable that's OK not everyone has the same abilities but don't judge others by your failings.
That’s a bit harsh. He acknowledges many on here are capable of doing it correctly

80% of 22 is sadly, a calculation many adults in this country would struggle with ….and that assumes they even know about the 80% in the first place. But I agree, its not illegal as such.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Aug 25, 2016
Taynuilt, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer 655 Starline
Exp
Village idiot
Not if you take your hand off the button at the desired amount.

Your petrol tank will also overfill if you don't release the trigger but most folk seem capable of that 🤷‍♂️
what is the desired amount. Bottles come in different sizes. What if the bottle had gas in and they were topping it up. So what’s the desired amount.

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Fuel guns have a safety cut off though so stop when the end of the gun has fuel up against it (back pressure I assume?), the non-user-refillables won't do this as no safety cut off in them so if you rely on the gun to wait until it can 'feel' the LPG liquid you could keep filling it up to 100% which is what happened to the German couple we had to help.

I know you like to get a point across Tam, and I understand what you are saying, but there are times when doing that could encourage some to do something risky which isn't always a good idea.

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
If you are incapable that's OK not everyone has the same abilities but don't judge others by your failings.
When I swapped our old Gaslow for the newly recertified one last week I had a good chin wag with the chap there, now I'm no expert but he was 'impressed' (a bit!) with my knowledge as most of those he had had dealings with, both newbies and 'old hands', had little awareness of the risks associated with LPG. I know how to fit a system and test it for safety having moved ours several times from one MH/camper to another and never had an issue with it, we chatted about various makes and the intricacies of the different cylinders, both older and new ones, so I know about the ins and outs of various systems, in fact there wasn't anything he could tell me that I didn't already know.

I'm not saying that to be 'clever' but even I, with my knowledge and experience of having refillables since 2009, would NEVER use one of these adaptors and/or try to fill a non-user-refillable cylinder, I have too much respect for and awareness of the risks associated with LPG as well as for my health and those around me, not to mention my and their property.

I don't give a jot to be fair if some feel 'capable' of doing it, it's not something that they should be doing no matter how 'competent' they believe they are.

Upvote 0

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit I7150 EB
Exp
Since 2016
What law is that? I know it's against Calor's Terms and Conditions, but its often reported as being "illegal". I'm writing an article now about gas in the UK. Can you point me to the relevant law that is broken as I've not found it. Thanks
Jim Isn't there a red book or something that got amended to allow filling of refillable bottles (safefill) at forecourts?

Upvote 0

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
The bottle valve has to be open to fill it. Most people have 2 bottles so the easiest and safest way I'd imagine is to make sure it's completely empty by leaving the valve open . Then obviously it varies on size of bottle what 80% is but every phone has a calculator on it.

Upvote 0

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Fuel guns have a safety cut off though so stop when the end of the gun has fuel up against it (back pressure I assume?), the non-user-refillables won't do this as no safety cut off in them so if you rely on the gun to wait until it can 'feel' the LPG liquid you could keep filling it up to 100% which is what happened to the German couple we had to help.

I know you like to get a point across Tam, and I understand what you are saying, but there are times when doing that could encourage some to do something risky which isn't always a good idea.
As I said I personally don't use these adapters, but I've seen them used by various people over the years with absolutely no issues.

I'm no encouraging anyone really I'd always suggest having the proper gear. But I also don't see these being anymore dangerous in the right hands. That can be said about many things . My main objection was the several posts on here calling other people on here who used them idiots . A few of those people I know and would consider intelligent capable people .

Anyway I give up because like the grey water and toilet threads and the occasional flt threads I find it pointless.

There are some who think they're way is the only way .

Whereas I'm a fan of nietzsche

20201031_192454.jpg

I'm just gonna add the thread to ignore now. More important things to worry about.

Upvote 0
Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
I can’t answer that! Where do Gaslow users get their cylinders refilled? 🧐

Any fuel station that has LPG. I just wondered as people keep linking Morrisons with Safefill so wondered if Morrisons would refuse a different make of refillable.

Upvote 0

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Any fuel station that has LPG. I just wondered as people keep linking Morrisons with Safefill so wondered if Morrisons would refuse a different make of refillable.
Not that I am aware of having used several Morrisons autogas outlets, but our cylinders/bulk tank have been permanently installed, rather than removable for refilling.

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Upvote 0
Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
This is what I have for sale, plus the bottles are full. ;)

Hamilton Gas are cheaper.

Upvote 0

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
Just for those who think calor is a rip off how about £48 yesterday for a campingaz 907 with 2.75 kg of gas not far short of £10 a litre!
Imagine how much it costs me when I buy 240 and pay the new cylinder charge on each too 😂🤔
Just like Calor the gas is only part of the story, the transportation and distribution costs will be far greater.
Cylinders are shipped to France 🇫🇷 every time it’s filled, revalved and painted before filling.
So shipping to and from France then distributed by Flogas to dealers.

Upvote 0
Apr 12, 2020
South Lincs....
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7095DF
Exp
20+ years. Previously Hymer B654 and Hymer S660 both c/w tow-bars.
Upvote 0
Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
Upvote 0
Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
I have a butane torch I carry in my toolkit, it's refillable from an aerosol, the only instructions are don't smoke and to do it in a well ventilated area. I appreciate it's a lot smaller than a van's setup, but it could still spoil your day if you got it wrong, but it doesn't mention that you will be breaking any law by refilling one gas receptacle from another ?

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back