Propane Calor Gas Refils? (1 Viewer)

Mar 12, 2012
Bridgend, South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Just started!
We use two 6Kg (Orange) Calor gas bottles in our van. To refill locally costs £37, that is swap empty for full.

I notice on eBay there are these:
1689671539432.png

I'm unsure if it's easy to find refil stations - do you do it yourself - I'm told it's a lot cheaper or is it a no go?

The eBay fitting is circa £30

Any advice/comments?

Thanks

Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
We use two 6Kg (Orange) Calor gas bottles in our van. To refill locally costs £37, that is swap empty for full.

View attachment 783640

I'm unsure if it's easy to find refil stations - do you do it yourself - I'm told it's a lot cheaper or is it a no go?

Any advice/comments?

Thanks
It’s illegal. Dangerous not only to you but also to others.

Please take absolutely no notice of anyone saying otherwise.
If you want to refill please get the appropriate tanks that have the correct cut off equipment installed within them. Gaslow:gasit etc

Upvote 3
Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
By pure luck I found a place near me that will refill my 6kg bottle for £15.
I won't say where it is though as his supplier (calor) would stop dealing with him as they want their £30+ exchange scheme to flourish.
You call it luck that someone will break the law to refill a non refillable Calor bottle.

There are word to describe it and luck is not one of them 🤷‍♀️

Upvote 2
Apr 26, 2016
South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur LVX 9
Exp
since 2000

View attachment 783640

Any advice/comments?

Thanks
DONT do it, you will be playing with a bomb

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 1
Apr 12, 2020
South Lincs....
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7095DF
Exp
20+ years. Previously Hymer B654 and Hymer S660 both c/w tow-bars.

View attachment 783640

Any advice/comments?

Thanks
It’s illegal and unsafe to self fill Calor cylinders.
I use ’SafeFill’ which are designed for self filling. Many Morrisons fuel stations do autogas and it’s a relatively simple job, however, I have been asked to show the cylinder before they’ll allow me to refill!

Upvote 1
Sep 2, 2020
Ladybarn, Manchester, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Travel Van
Exp
Refillable bottles have a cut off valve to prevent overfilling Calor bottles do not, over fill and you could get liquid propane instead of gaseous, which if ignited would as Michel Cain said 'blow the bloody doors off' so to try and refill is irresponsible in the extreme, also when you originally purchase a Calor bottle you sign a contract and somewhere in there it will say do not refill so you are breaking your contract with Calor.
Calor will always be more expensive because you are paying to transport the empty back to Calor, someonw gets paid wages to refill it for you and then transport it to a retailer who then wants his profit also its an expensive way of doing business but convenient.
To even consider messing about with something as flammable as petrol and under very high pressure is idiotic.

Maybe we should have signs on the side of motorhomes 'If you refil your own Calor bottles DO NOT park next to me' 🫣

Upvote 1
Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
... and if not totally empty or has cr@p in the bottom of the cylinder thus reducing the actual internal capacity ... so when someone thinks they're being 'clever' by only putting in a max of 80% in reality it's 90% ... blow torch time! :oops:

You may get away with that in Spain but not in the UK ... I think most of Spain's LPG outlets would object too.
Denote crap please ?

Upvote 1
Jul 14, 2019
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7086f
Exp
All I can say is people who do this have no concern for anyone else Go to your local fire station and ask them to show you a DVD on what happens to gas bottles when there is accident and fire You will Shit yourself it's so dangerous DO NOT DO IT have some thought for other people not just yourself

Upvote 1
Sep 14, 2022
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
I did and without naming the people I know at least 2 folk on this forum with factory pvc conversions running refillable bottles and those bottles are inside a cupboard inside the back doors .
Yes I have a factory built German PVC and my gas locker is inside the rear doors. However the gas locker is vented to the outside beneath the bottles.

Upvote 1
Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
hmm...not a great deal. They are £189 each brand new. External filling kit/hose is £76. I never understand why people use two. Do you have two petrol tanks in your car?
This is what I have for sale, plus the bottles are full. ;)

Upvote 1

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging

View attachment 783640

Any advice/comments?

Thanks
Ilegal and very dangerous.

Upvote 0

hja

May 8, 2020
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit Prim
Exp
Since 2019
Finding an lpg pump may not be too difficult, various web sites to help, but most are at fuel stations. Many will not allow the filling of “ loose” cylinders, as against installed refill cylinder systems that you fill via a access in the side of the van (like a fuel cap)

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
I have used one similar for a number of years, saved ££’s.
Have now got refillables but I’m keeping the fill adapter as I use a German bottle for my bbq at home.

Upvote 0
Oct 22, 2020
God's Own County
Funster No
MH
Lunar Champ H592
Exp
Since 2018

View attachment 783640

Any advice/comments?

Thanks

£37 seems a bit steep just swapped ours at local garden centre and it was £26.75

Upvote 0

Nitram77

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 16, 2020
Kettering, UK
Funster No
MH
Laika Kreos 5009
Exp
Some, but still alot to learn!!
I have a safefill gas bottle. I went to refill it a Morrisons Wellingborough last week only to find the the pump and much of the petrol station roof had been taken down! Upon talking to the staff I found out that someone had tried to fill a Calor gas cylinder from the LPG pump. It caught fire, the man was seriously burnt and the pump totally destroyed.

Moral of the story - Don't try it!!

Upvote 0
Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
And why many garages now refuse to refill motorhome gas bottles. All Total fuel stations in France refuse all motorhome from their sites throughout the country

I have a friend who took a year out travelling across Europe in a motorhome. He managed by refilling calor gas bottles as petrol stations for all that year! :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
I have a safefill gas bottle. I went to refill it a Morrisons Wellingborough last week only to find the the pump and much of the petrol station roof had been taken down! Upon talking to the staff I found out that someone had tried to fill a Calor gas cylinder from the LPG pump. It caught fire, the man was seriously burnt and the pump totally destroyed.

Moral of the story - Don't try it!!
I commented on another forum regarding this. The replies are unbelievable.
Personally if found guilty the person needs to be made bankrupt. Morrisons need to make them pay for the damage and then Calor can have a go.

Upvote 0
May 26, 2016
north wales
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
moderate
By pure luck I found a place near me that will refill my 6kg bottle for £15.
I won't say where it is though as his supplier (calor) would stop dealing with him as they want their £30+ exchange scheme to flourish.

Upvote 0
Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
Needs to be prosecuted then.

Well its a bit late. He's done his travelling and sold the motorhome. Point was he got away with it for 12 months UK and abroad. Not supporting him just making an observation.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back