Possible aid to deter rodent damage

Discussion in 'Top Tips & Tricks' started by mikekaren2, Nov 20, 2015.

1. mikekaren2

mikekaren2 Funster

Saw this and thought it might be of interest as it's that time of year again.
    I realise it's not a total prevention solution but an additional item for your arsenal.
    http://www.motoelectrical.co.uk/typ...20m-1200450/?gclid=CJ3L2--Nn8kCFSMIwwodbdYIVQ

£15:90

Rodent Proof Electrical Insulation Tape
    An easy to use, effictive solution for proctection of cables, wires, plumbing pipes, gas pipes & ducts against rodent damage!

Teraokatape is embedded with capsules containing Capsaicin which are extremely disliked by rats and mice. Simply wrap the tape around wire and pipes for a long-term deterrent to rodents.

Uses: Protection of Cables, wires, plastics, washing machine pipes, plumbing pipes & gas pipes. The tape can be applied around surfaces, wires and pipes where Rodent damage may occur.

Shelf Life: Up to 30 years

• Like Like x 3
  2. rosalan

rosalan Funster

For those who have their vans parked up in barns, this could be useful advice.
    Alan

3. Badknee

Badknee Funster

Hmmmmm, interesting. Not seen that before, good find. (y)

4. sdc77

sdc77 Funster

On this note .. we use one of those electronic anti rodent things..
    It works . On that we haven't had any probs since we started using it (and had mice once before)
    It sets our alarm off though.
    :(
    So we have to deactivate it

5. MicknPat

MicknPat Funster

But how do you manage to wrap it around the existing wiring in your MH?

6. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

My thoughts exactly.

All the wiring damage I experienced was out of sight within the body of the van.
    This would mean major dismantling of furniture and cupboards etc just to gain access to tape wrap.
    Most of mine was confined to a box section in the bathroom and around the heating furnace which meant complete removal of the furnace.
    Not something I would do JUST IN CASE Mickey was feeling peckish.

7. MyDogsTooBig

MyDogsTooBig

If you can get the tape in, how about a cat? At least you don't have to do any crawling around. Humm, might do more damage than the rats.. Not sure.

8. Don Quixote

Don Quixote Funster

When I worked for Network Rail in an old signal box in Norfolk the maintenance lads used something like the OP has posted also containing Capsaicin around some of the wiring.

9. rangitira

rangitira Funster

If the normal "blue" Rat and Mouse Poisen bait doesn't work.Some Rats and Mice are immune to the "blue"
    Take a trip to the local Farm supply shop and ask/get the "red" one, Red is a bit stronger.

BUT! As with all poisen bait, use with care! and more importantly PLACE!!! with care!

10. Buzzy-Beans

Buzzy-Beans Read Only Funster

We used to store caravans in our barn attached to the caravan site we owned in France.

There were lots of rats, mice and loires running around in the barn but they never did any damage to any of the vans we stored or my Land Rover or tractor.

I used to paint and spray neat Jeyes Fluid onto the wheels/tyres of the vans and never had the corner steadies down, I also painted it onto the underside of the vans close to any ventilation points but sprayed it off when I pulled the vans out of the barn when they were next pulled out.

11. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

I love these rodent damage threads, it reminds me of that film 'Mouse Hunt'!:)