Position of Dashcam - Advice needed please (2 Viewers)

May 4, 2023
Funster No
MH
Just looking
I think you are correct to say that. If you are claiming a discount for having a piece of equipment in your vehicle, it is your responsibility to ensure that it is correctly installed and working.
On a personal level, the dashcam fitted in my car has saved me roughly £2.5k to £3k in the last two years. It provided evidence to my insurers to prove that two collisions were in no way my fault. In both cases the insurance company, LV, waived my excess and it did not affect my NCB. The reason I started this thread was to ensure the dashcam that will be installed in our new MH was compliant. As always on this forum, the responses to my question have been informative and helpful.
Safe and happy travels.
It used to be the case that only certain makes that had been approved would be acceptable in court cases but I think that now, as long as there is GPS record, time and date stamps that should be sufficient. Can someone with real knowledge enlighten us perhaps?

stuartholmes

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 18, 2022
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1989
I think you are correct to say that. If you are claiming a discount for having a piece of equipment in your vehicle, it is your responsibility to ensure that it is correctly installed and working.
On a personal level, the dashcam fitted in my car has saved me roughly £2.5k to £3k in the last two years. It provided evidence to my insurers to prove that two collisions were in no way my fault. In both cases the insurance company, LV, waived my excess and it did not affect my NCB. The reason I started this thread was to ensure the dashcam that will be installed in our new MH was compliant. As always on this forum, the responses to my question have been informative and helpful.
Safe and happy travels.
Completely agree.

My son and I had similar savings last year as we were each involved in collisions the insurer would have treated as 'knock for knock' (ie. his & my fault respectively) because there was no evidence other than that in our dash cams. Personally I think they should be a factory standard fitting - people might feel the need to drive more responsibly if they were effectively being watched. A bit like having a police car behind...

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
Completely agree.

My son and I had similar savings last year as we were each involved in collisions the insurer would have treated as 'knock for knock' (ie. his & my fault respectively) because there was no evidence other than that in our dash cams. Personally I think they should be a factory standard fitting - people might feel the need to drive more responsibly if they were effectively being watched. A bit like having a police car behind...
I wonder?
I don't think it ever occurs to me that the Dash Cam is filming, I only bought it because my other VW is LHD and, early on, a driver carried on coming towards me, even though it is obvious that there is insufficient space and I had pulled over and stopped. He broke my mirror before realising he could not get passed! Thank goodness for the dash cam.
That is the only real problem of a LHD, one has to rely on others to act sensible

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 2, 2019
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740C
Exp
We have our dash cam mounted low on the bottom right hand side of the windscreen and it covers plenty. My only concern is that if the need arises to save a clip, then I'm never going to be able to lean forward enough to reach it without stopping and physically getting up from the seat?

In my truck, I've got one just off centre at the bottom of the screen close enough to lean over comfortably and press the save button if needed.

The seat to screen distance in an A class can be a problem.

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
We have our dash cam mounted low on the bottom right hand side of the windscreen and it covers plenty. My only concern is that if the need arises to save a clip, then I'm never going to be able to lean forward enough to reach it without stopping and physically getting up from the seat?

In my truck, I've got one just off centre at the bottom of the screen close enough to lean over comfortably and press the save button if needed.

The seat to screen distance in an A class can be a problem.
Mine has a rolling two hours of film. Plenty of time to stop and save in needed.

OP
OP
HugoBNB
Dec 13, 2019
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2019
I only bother with it if there is an accident, or incident. Otherwise, it just rolls and erases after a period of time. The only people who would see it are the insurance company or the police.

Apr 7, 2022
34390 Saint-Étienne-d'Albagnan, France
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 70
Exp
I thought that was SatNavs because some show speed cameras?
Its under privacy acts, i understand for example they are (or maybe were) illegal in Portugal and somebody tried to get a case thrown out of court, he had been driving recklessly and caused an accident, but there were no other witnesses, apart from dashcam footage which his defence argued infringed his privacy becouse he had been filmed illegally, luckily the judge saw sense and convicted him anyway.

May 19, 2014
Keynsham, Bristol, UK
Funster No
MH
Pilote
Exp
Since 2005
I have a dash cam, so have decided that on balance they have benefits. But be warned. Nowhere do the makers, sellers or installers make it clear that you are not free to dispose of the product (video) at will in circumstances where you are aware there is a possibility of legal proceedings whether it involves you directly or indirectly. In such circumstances you can quite easily find yourself committing a serious criminal offence.
Quite so. But if people are that bothered, some do encrypt the SD card and I don't believe you have to divulge the encryption key, just as you don't have to unlock your phone.

Dave

Dec 19, 2020
The salty bit of Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2017
Mine is mounted slightly left of centre where it just peeks out within the sweep of the windscreen wipers. Unless it is in such a position, if it rains your footage will be decidedly fuzzy.

OP
OP
HugoBNB
Dec 13, 2019
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2019
Mine is mounted slightly left of centre where it just peeks out within the sweep of the windscreen wipers. Unless it is in such a position, if it rains your footage will be decidedly fuzzy.
Just done ours, positioning it just as you have described. It was a bit fiddly getting the hardwire kit down to the fusebox, but I managed it in the end.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back