Position of Dashcam - Advice needed please (1 Viewer)

Dec 13, 2019
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2019
Hello.
We are about to take delivery of our Hymer A-Class (B-MC I 690). We are taking it to have a dash-cam professionally installed. It is a Nextbase 522, and we would like to learn of options please on where to locate it so it functions well, but does not foul the blind.
Thank you in advance.

Sep 28, 2015
Kingston upon Hull, East Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
2001 Caravans 2011 Motorhomes
We mounted ours here as it doesn’t affect the blinds or the drop down bed. We used one of the stick on suction mounts with no need for ‘professional installation’ as the power lead just sits along the dash and plugs into a 12v socket in the drivers side cubby hole.
The stick on mounts also come off cleanly with a hair dryer/hot air gun to soften the glue.
It’s forward enough to get a good wide view.
IMG_0668.jpeg

May 10, 2020
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Top of the screen gives a big view …from my cam the other day … being advised by a local that the single track road was going to get tighter and so I had to execute a 6 point turn on sketchy pull in area ….

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Mines on the dash of my A-class, a few cm back from the blinds. It's wired in with the wires poked out of sight behind the rubber foam that runs between the dash and the windscreen. Top mounting wasn't an option for me due to the drop down bed over the cab.

Only time it gets touched is when it needs readjustment after the cat has slept on it while sunbathing on the dash. 😸

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
HugoBNB
Dec 13, 2019
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2019
Top of the screen gives a big view …from my cam the other day … being advised by a local that the single track road was going to get tighter and so I had to execute a 6 point turn on sketchy pull in area ….

Sketchy! That must have been some manoeuvre. I take my hat off to you. I may have been tempted to reverse.
Well done, and thanks for the information. Is there enough room to close the blind (ours only has the manual one) and leave the dashcam in place? I am hoping to avoid having to remove the cam every time we need to close them. I have it booked in for a survey before the fitting, so we can work it out.
Safe travels, and thanks again.

claude et maude

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2018
Kent
Funster No
MH
Hymer B664 CL
Exp
Since 2018

I think you need to overlay the end credits of The Italian Job over that!

OP
OP
HugoBNB
Dec 13, 2019
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2019
Thanks for the responses. Have a good weekend all.

KLWinton

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 12, 2023
Aberdeenshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Elddis Ecore 255
Exp
On and off for 30 years
I bought a self adhesive plate from Amazon slightly bigger than the suction cup on my dashcam and stuck it onto the dash slightly back from the blinds and put the camera o to that. Hasn’t moved at all and has a clear view of everything in front of us.

May 10, 2020
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Located in front of the blind. I’m pretty sure there’ll be enough space on your Hymer to do the same.

IMG_1541.jpeg

Sketchy! That must have been some manoeuvre. I take my hat off to you. I may have been tempted to reverse.
Well done, and thanks for the information. Is there enough room to close the blind (ours only has the manual one) and leave the dashcam in place? I am hoping to avoid having to remove the cam every time we need to close them. I have it booked in for a survey before the fitting, so we can work it out.
Safe travels, and thanks again.

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Hymer B588 DL with electric front blind. I mounted my Nextbase 522 centrally near the top of the screen, good field of view and no problem in fouling the blind. I piggy backed the 12v supply from the cig lighter socket so it starts up when ignition turned on.
IMG_4580.jpeg
IMG_4581.jpeg

OP
OP
HugoBNB
Dec 13, 2019
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2019
All sorted. I spoke to the dealer who photographed the windscreen area for me. As per Stewart J's comme t, there is plenty of room to get it in place.
A big thank you to all who have posted.
Safe and happy travels all

May 4, 2023
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Hello.
We are about to take delivery of our Hymer A-Class (B-MC I 690). We are taking it to have a dash-cam professionally installed. It is a Nextbase 522, and we would like to learn of options please on where to locate it so it functions well, but does not foul the blind.
Thank you in advance.
There is a legally described zone which has to be kept clear on the windscreen. Might be best to Google for it perhaps.

OP
OP
HugoBNB
Dec 13, 2019
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2019
There is a legally described zone which has to be kept clear on the windscreen. Might be best to Google for it perhaps.
Thanks, Petroleumblownapart. I have just visited the .gov website. Interesting. I wonder if we should have had our Funster, Britstops, and National Trust stickers where we had them on the old MH. They were running down the NS passenger pillar of the windscreen. I am fairly certain that they did not comply with what I have just read. So saying, I wonder how many MOT stations take heed of this bit of legislation. Thanks for the heads-up though. I am sure that, as per pictures from Abgs and Stewart J, the position is compliant.
All the best!

May 4, 2023
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Thanks, Petroleumblownapart. I have just visited the .gov website. Interesting. I wonder if we should have had our Funster, Britstops, and National Trust stickers where we had them on the old MH. They were running down the NS passenger pillar of the windscreen. I am fairly certain that they did not comply with what I have just read. So saying, I wonder how many MOT stations take heed of this bit of legislation. Thanks for the heads-up though. I am sure that, as per pictures from Abgs and Stewart J, the position is compliant.
All the best!
I don't think the MOT test deals with that but if you had a bump the insurance company and the police might both rub their hands together.

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
I would be tempted to have a word with your usual MOT man, some are fussy about what and where, camera's etc are situated on a windscreen? 🤔

stuartholmes

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 18, 2022
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1989
All the best!
I recently collected a friend's car from MoT test to be told they had, ''as a courtesy'', cut off his 'air freshener' that had been dangling from the rear view mirror as they'd have otherwise had to declare the test a 'fail' for breach of visibility rules.

He went straight out & bought another...

Sep 7, 2023
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs
I have a dash cam, so have decided that on balance they have benefits. But be warned. Nowhere do the makers, sellers or installers make it clear that you are not free to dispose of the product (video) at will in circumstances where you are aware there is a possibility of legal proceedings whether it involves you directly or indirectly. In such circumstances you can quite easily find yourself committing a serious criminal offence.

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
I have a dash cam, so have decided that on balance they have benefits. But be warned. Nowhere do the makers, sellers or installers make it clear that you are not free to dispose of the product (video) at will in circumstances where you are aware there is a possibility of legal proceedings whether it involves you directly or indirectly. In such circumstances you can quite easily find yourself committing a serious criminal offence.
I think you need to expand on that as here in Britain video footage is seen on TV programs and, I thought, could be used as evidence in an accident, especially the smash for cash variety? 🤔

OP
OP
HugoBNB
Dec 13, 2019
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2019
I think you need to expand on that as here in Britain video footage is seen on TV programs and, I thought, could be used as evidence in an accident, especially the smash for cash variety? 🤔
My thoughts too. Today, the new Nextbase dashcam arrived for the MH. Inside the package was a leaflet stating that this device could save you up to 30% on your insurance premium.

Sep 7, 2023
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs
Yes you can use it as evidence but what you can’t do is delete if it does not support your case or you become aware that you hold material relevant to any other matter under investigation.

May 4, 2023
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Yes you can use it as evidence but what you can’t do is delete if it does not support your case or you become aware that you hold material relevant to any other matter under investigation.
Sounds specific to another country. I've heard nothing of that in the UK....... so far.

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
It’s called perverting the course of justice - Google it ☹️
That depends on the circumstances of disposal! If it was a mistake then it’s not malicious and the Bobbies would be hard pressed to prosecute you.
If on the other hand you are talking about a situation where you have possibly caused an accident or other road incident and you intentionally wipe your camera’s memory to hide the evidence, then yes you are correct 👍🏻

stuartholmes

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 18, 2022
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1989
My thoughts too. Today, the new Nextbase dashcam arrived for the MH. Inside the package was a leaflet stating that this device could save you up to 30% on your insurance premium.
They may be slightly over-stating the discount but if there is any discount for telling your motor insurer that you have a dashcam then you'd better make sure it's hard-wired in & permanently active while driving, otherwise when you haven't plugged it in & turned it on that'll be when somebody crashes into you (I believe it's officially known as 'sod's law'!!) and, being as you won't have video to prove your innocence the insurer will assume it's because you know it would prove your guilt and deal with the claim appropriately. Or more accurately, in-appropritately. But you will be without the proverbial leg upon which to support your body...

(This is not conjecture, it is advice from my son who works in motor insurance.)

OP
OP
HugoBNB
Dec 13, 2019
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2019
They may be slightly over-stating the discount but if there is any discount for telling your motor insurer that you have a dashcam then you'd better make sure it's hard-wired in & permanently active while driving, otherwise when you haven't plugged it in & turned it on that'll be when somebody crashes into you (I believe it's officially known as 'sod's law'!!) and, being as you won't have video to prove your innocence the insurer will assume it's because you know it would prove your guilt and deal with the claim appropriately. Or more accurately, in-appropritately. But you will be without the proverbial leg upon which to support your body...

(This is not conjecture, it is advice from my son who works in motor insurance.)
I think you are correct to say that. If you are claiming a discount for having a piece of equipment in your vehicle, it is your responsibility to ensure that it is correctly installed and working.
On a personal level, the dashcam fitted in my car has saved me roughly £2.5k to £3k in the last two years. It provided evidence to my insurers to prove that two collisions were in no way my fault. In both cases the insurance company, LV, waived my excess and it did not affect my NCB. The reason I started this thread was to ensure the dashcam that will be installed in our new MH was compliant. As always on this forum, the responses to my question have been informative and helpful.
Safe and happy travels.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back