Portuguese gas bottle.

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by chrisinplymouth, Apr 25, 2016.

1. chrisinplymouth

chrisinplymouth Funster

Hi ... I posted this on Facebook but would appreciate your your views....

My brother is going to Portugal for the winter and uses standard exchangeable calor bottles in this country. If he gets some Portuguese bottles when he goes over will the pigtails used in this country fit the Portuguese bottles? If not what's the best way to connect a Portuguese bottle to his van.

TIA.......Chris

2. emmitdb

emmitdb Funster

Found this on the Interweb thingy.
    http://www.nomadic-one.com/reflect/spanish-and-portuguese-gas-bottle-system

It would seem that the Portugese bottle has the same type of Reg/Adaptor system as the Spanish ie Jumbo that sits on the top of the bottle.
    The pigtail that fits on the side of such a Reg/Adaptor is the Left hand POL pigtail that is used for the 4.5Kgs Calor Butane. This pigtail is the same as the one that is used to hold the 'Click On' Reg/Adaptor used for Calor 6Kgs Butane bottles. ie

[​IMG]

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. vwalan

vwalan Funster

you can get 27 mm clip on adaptors from the likes of bes plumbing like their part no. 17917 then use part no 21123 to adapt to uk propane type thread .but ring them on 0800 80 10 90 .
    very helpfull company.

4. chrisinplymouth

chrisinplymouth Funster

Many thanks

5. SandraL

SandraL Funster

Don't know how to quote but from post 3 I think it's a 35mm jumbo adapter and not a 27mm for Spanish/ Portuguese cylinder. We paid 10 euro for a clip on adapter in Portugal. If buying a cylinder it's easier in Portugal as no paperwork required but refill is cheaper in Spain. Portugal hire charge 15euro, gas 23 euro. The gas refill was 11euro in Spain, prices Feb 2016. Note if keeping van regulator you will need a high pressure clip on adapter, we got one that reduced pressure to about 2 bar ( I think). and used butane hose to connect to van regulator. We had no problem swooping Portuguese repsol cylinder in Spain ( propane). The Portuguese clip on adapter was 10euro bought at repsol agent.

6. chrisinplymouth

chrisinplymouth Funster

Thank you Sandra

7. vwalan

vwalan Funster

yes , sorry 27mm is a french size .
    i use a repsol adaptor to camping gas then adapt to old uk butane thread . that makes it the same as most german morocco bottles . depending on what pig tail you have it might be ok or adapt again .
    why all countries have to different is amazing . but been like it for years .

8. pyro

pyro Funster

Hi, total newcomer to motorhomes and getting myself a bit confused. Most searches for an answer just end up with the advice that everyone should fit refillable systems, which the wife is not very keen and probably wouldn't work out economically viable for us, or otherwise refers to butane

We are in Portugal using 6Kg calor propane on UK regulator/pigtails, and will be needing to switch to local suppliers for the summer (either Repsol or Galp - presumably the clip on types?) when our spare runs out. I take it from this that we need to get a 35mm adaptor, but would like to keep the existing pigtail and UK regulator if we can.

Sorry if this question has come up before, but couldn't find anything relevant on search and appreciate anyone pointing me to a proprietary solution (truth is I'm s*it scared of gas after seeing a boat blown to bits a few years back)

9. SandraL

SandraL Funster

OK, purchase pol adapter like this http://gasproducts.co.uk/propane-pol-to-butane-adaptor.html

This will allow your existing pigtail to convert from pol to 21.5lh thread. Buy 35mm jumbo adapter for the repsol cylinder. Make sure it is a High Pressure adapter, anything from 2 bar upwards. It will/can be supplied with 21.5 LH thread.This is so you can continue to use your existing regulator, 2 low pressure regulators in series will not be happy. It will be about 10 euro in portugal.
    Buying repsol propane cylinder in spain allows you to exchange it in spain if you need to.
    Not sure if pol adapter is available in portugal, might need one posted out?????

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. pyro

pyro Funster

Thanks Sandra. That's very helpful. I am back in UK for next week, so best I source a 35mm jumbo adaptor when I am over. Do you recommend any particular supplier?

Quick edit: presumably one of these? http://gasproducts.co.uk/gaslow-jumbo-adaptor.html But presumably that cannot be used for Propane over in Portugal?

I note your point about 2 regulators in series.

11. SandraL

SandraL Funster

I have used Hamilton gas products, where I copied url for jumbo adapter. Although in NI their mail order is good.
    They stock both items as well.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. pyro

pyro Funster

Thanks again Sandra. This will make a huge difference for us

Nick