Free Member
Aug 11, 2013
Plymouth UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact
Exp
Since 2015
Hi ... I posted this on Facebook but would appreciate your your views....

My brother is going to Portugal for the winter and uses standard exchangeable calor bottles in this country. If he gets some Portuguese bottles when he goes over will the pigtails used in this country fit the Portuguese bottles? If not what's the best way to connect a Portuguese bottle to his van.

TIA.......Chris

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Found this on the Interweb thingy.
http://www.nomadic-one.com/reflect/spanish-and-portuguese-gas-bottle-system

It would seem that the Portugese bottle has the same type of Reg/Adaptor system as the Spanish ie Jumbo that sits on the top of the bottle.
The pigtail that fits on the side of such a Reg/Adaptor is the Left hand POL pigtail that is used for the 4.5Kgs Calor Butane. This pigtail is the same as the one that is used to hold the 'Click On' Reg/Adaptor used for Calor 6Kgs Butane bottles. ie

butane-pigtail-450mm--5931-p[ekm]150x150[ekm].jpg

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
you can get 27 mm clip on adaptors from the likes of bes plumbing like their part no. 17917 then use part no 21123 to adapt to uk propane type thread .but ring them on 0800 80 10 90 .
very helpfull company.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

SandraL

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer b694sl
Exp
Since 2012 + Caravanner for 20+ years
Don't know how to quote but from post 3 I think it's a 35mm jumbo adapter and not a 27mm for Spanish/ Portuguese cylinder. We paid 10 euro for a clip on adapter in Portugal. If buying a cylinder it's easier in Portugal as no paperwork required but refill is cheaper in Spain. Portugal hire charge 15euro, gas 23 euro. The gas refill was 11euro in Spain, prices Feb 2016. Note if keeping van regulator you will need a high pressure clip on adapter, we got one that reduced pressure to about 2 bar ( I think). and used butane hose to connect to van regulator. We had no problem swooping Portuguese repsol cylinder in Spain ( propane). The Portuguese clip on adapter was 10euro bought at repsol agent.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
yes , sorry 27mm is a french size .
i use a repsol adaptor to camping gas then adapt to old uk butane thread . that makes it the same as most german morocco bottles . depending on what pig tail you have it might be ok or adapt again .
why all countries have to different is amazing . but been like it for years .

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
Hi, total newcomer to motorhomes and getting myself a bit confused. Most searches for an answer just end up with the advice that everyone should fit refillable systems, which the wife is not very keen and probably wouldn't work out economically viable for us, or otherwise refers to butane

We are in Portugal using 6Kg calor propane on UK regulator/pigtails, and will be needing to switch to local suppliers for the summer (either Repsol or Galp - presumably the clip on types?) when our spare runs out. I take it from this that we need to get a 35mm adaptor, but would like to keep the existing pigtail and UK regulator if we can.

Sorry if this question has come up before, but couldn't find anything relevant on search and appreciate anyone pointing me to a proprietary solution (truth is I'm s*it scared of gas after seeing a boat blown to bits a few years back)

SandraL

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer b694sl
Exp
OK, purchase pol adapter like this http://gasproducts.co.uk/propane-pol-to-butane-adaptor.html

This will allow your existing pigtail to convert from pol to 21.5lh thread. Buy 35mm jumbo adapter for the repsol cylinder. Make sure it is a High Pressure adapter, anything from 2 bar upwards. It will/can be supplied with 21.5 LH thread.This is so you can continue to use your existing regulator, 2 low pressure regulators in series will not be happy. It will be about 10 euro in portugal.
Buying repsol propane cylinder in spain allows you to exchange it in spain if you need to.
Not sure if pol adapter is available in portugal, might need one posted out?????

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
Thanks Sandra. That's very helpful. I am back in UK for next week, so best I source a 35mm jumbo adaptor when I am over. Do you recommend any particular supplier?

Quick edit: presumably one of these? http://gasproducts.co.uk/gaslow-jumbo-adaptor.html But presumably that cannot be used for Propane over in Portugal?

I note your point about 2 regulators in series.

SandraL

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer b694sl
Exp
I have used Hamilton gas products, where I copied url for jumbo adapter. Although in NI their mail order is good.
They stock both items as well.

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
Thanks again Sandra. This will make a huge difference for us

Nick

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
We had the same issues and bought the brass adaptor SandraL gave a link to. Meant that our UK supplied pigtail fitted our French bottle and when in Spain, after buying a Repsol ADAPTOR for 12€, that fitted the pigtail as well. It is important to buy the Spanish adaptor, rather than a Spanish regulator, if you have bulkhead regulator fitted. Otherwise, you will have two, incompatible regulators.
I would take a photo of your bulkhead regulator, take the pigtail with you to Repsol shop and they should supply the correct ADAPTOR. I'm told, but have no experience, that Spanish hardware stores have the adaptors.
Hope I haven't added to any confusion.

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
There are several different gas regulator fittings used in Portugal, so what you get may not fit the Portuguese bottle you get.
I believe the most convenient way is to fit a Bullfinch BBQ point and use this as an 'extenda stay' (feed the gas into the system from any bottle with a regulator fitted).
If you get a bottle in Portugal and you do not have the correct regulator the bottle supplier will usually swap one of your regulators for the correct one , it's worth carrying an old spare one for this!.

Reactions: Jim

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
I think they will have gone and been back by now. :LOL:

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
There are several different gas regulator fittings used in Portugal, so what you get may not fit the Portuguese bottle you get.
I believe the most convenient way is to fit a Bullfinch BBQ point and use this as an 'extenda stay' (feed the gas into the system from any bottle with a regulator fitted).
If you get a bottle in Portugal and you do not have the correct regulator the bottle supplier will usually swap one of your regulators for the correct one , it's worth carrying an old spare one for this!.
Just wanted to thank you for answering a concern of my own. Great tip (y)

Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
Can a visitor / traveller purchase / rent a Repsol / Cepsa / Galp cylinder for use whilst they are in Portugal?

SandraL

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer b694sl
Exp
Yes you can, we bought a repsol propane cylinder from a repsol agent in portugal, no questions, no problem. Cylinder was exchanged later in spain without a problem. See post 5 in this thread.
Gas relills are dearer in portugal.

Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
Many thanks @SandraL . We spent a longish time down there recently and decamped twice to get the Gaslows refilled. Next year I intend to allow one Gaslow to empty then plumb an exchangeable cylinder into the filler point. The van can then stay put for the entire length of our stay.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back