Pleased with MPG

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by scotjimland, Aug 18, 2016.

1. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

I'm not one who normally checks MPG .. it uses what it uses.. why get stressed about it.. However on this trip to Wales, just out of interest, decided to check ..

Filled up before leaving in Woodbridge and refilled in Wales on the M4 when we had done 268 miles..

We were held up on the M25, stop start driving for about 45 mins . not great for consumption.. the rest of the journey was ok..

I drive at between 60 - 65 .. occasional 70 when overtaking .. all depends on traffic.. so not hanging about but not thrashing it either..

Hymer b644, 2.8 JDT gross weight 4,000kg .

Diesel bought 40.5 lt .. ~ 30 mpg

very satisfied.. and better than I expected ..

I accept it is only a snapshot.. and it needs several tanks to get a more accurate results.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2016
    • Like Like x 10
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. funflair

funflair Funster Life Member

Good figure scotjim I will only ever see that going downhill:LOL:

Martin

• Funny Funny x 3
  3. Neckender

Neckender Funster

Going down hill mine does 99.99 mpg.

John.

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Like Like x 3
  4. funflair

funflair Funster Life Member

Steeper hill John(y)

Martin

• Funny Funny x 5
  5. Jim

Jim Ringleader

Our 99 2.8 Fiat Hymer would give us 26-28 when towing a 2t trailer. Excellent (y)

I get about 18 when towing with the RV, so more than happy.

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. scotjimland

I forgot to say, when I brimmed it in Woodbridge it was with Shell super duper V power diesel.. don't normally buy it, but went into a pump with no other choice.. .. .. so gave it a treat ..

so perhaps the V power diesel does improve MPG ..

• Informative Informative x 3
  7. chaser

chaser Funster

I have tried the odd tank full in France and always "think" it's seems to run better but never checked it with real figures.

• Like Like x 2
  8. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

That is a very acceptable result

Will give the super stuff a go myself, off to Scotland for 2 weeks this weekend, the most amazing results we ever got using super unleaded was in a generator when we tugged. We used to go to a beach CL out of season and were usually alone, ran generator for TV, a tank of fuel lasted about 4 hours, so we would pull generator for 6:00 news and watch till it conked, used to be 10:00 +/- 1/2 hour every time. Bought some super unleaded by mistake in the fuel can, only cost a few pence more for the gallon can, but on the next few generator runs it was still going into the early hours with us trying to sleep through it, being too lazy to go out and turn it off o_O and thinking on first go it will stop any minute, virtually doubled the running time on a fixed volume (y)

I do find brimming the tank seems to vary a lot on my MH, not really sure why, I have had everything from overflowing on forecourt to getting back in after multiple auto stops and finding tank halfway between 3/4 and full on gauge, proper mpg nearly impossible by this method for us. But on longer trips we do add the total fuel bought and divide by miles done, always ends up at 19 point something :)

Last edited: Aug 18, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  9. scotjimland

@DavidG58
    I'm a born skeptic, the MPG figure looks 'too good to be true' , and it's just one fill, and as you say, brimming it can be different amounts depending on cut-out point of pump..

am going to test over several tanks..

• Like Like x 1
  10. pyro

pyro Funster

On the basis that the daughter's Seat 1.4 TSI (130 HP) consistently achieves 42 mpg for the same journey as our 3.5 t fully laden 130 HP Euro 5+ (2.3) does for almost 31 mpg, based on brimming it and reported mpg (little difference) I have no complaints at all

I have tried the supposedly "superior" diesel by mistake, and I also "think" it sounds like the engine is running a little smoother, but I have my doubts that it is anything but psychological as I haven't compared it scientifically

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. Jim

Jim Ringleader

I made the brimming mistake with mine when I first bought it. I filled it to cuttoff and then at the next fill did my calculations. Problem is, after the first cuttoff, if I'm very, very patient I can get another 40-50 litres in :) It takes a full 10 minutes, so for me, seeing the fuel there in the neck its the only way to know for sure the actual mpg.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Robert Clark

Robert Clark Funster Life Member

We've noticed that our 30mpg drops massively if there is a strong headwind, also that if we increase our average speed from 60mph to 70mph then the performance drops to about 23mpg, which is shocking taking into account its only 10 more mph

• Like Like x 2
  13. chaser

chaser Funster

Ours goes a hundred miles to each quarter tank mark on the gauge, never fails , motorway , country roads , in traffic, anything always start looking for diesel at 360 miles, and useualy we fill around 380, never fails , don't know what miles to the gallon it is as iv never checked after the first few fills and then it was about 28 mpg

• Like Like x 2
  14. papaken

papaken Funster

When the fuel shortage was on in France I found I did about 100miles to a quarter of a tank so I always now look to fill up when down to a quarter of the tank.
    I record my purchase and cost at each top up but have never bothered to work out mpg.
    My last top up was about ten mile from Calais and now back in Whickham Gateshead on a short trip to get my wing mirror replaced my fuel warning light has just come on.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Muddibootz

Muddibootz Funster

If you have a value you're happy with, I'd stick with that figure and stop measuring.

Don't forget that fuel consumption can go down as well as up :)

• Like Like x 1
  16. scotjimland

oh yes indeed.. I only got 12 mpg with my RV.. ;) can't recall ever posting that I was pleased with it :ROFLMAO:

actually it's worth while keeping an eye on MPG .. not every tank.. but every so often worth checking and if you see an unexplained drop it may point to something amiss..

for example.. my Honda CRV , never great on MPG but was around 30.. then for no reason it fell it about 25 mpg .. Investigating I found one of the rear brake callipers was partially seized and the pads were rubbing ..

• Like Like x 1
  17. Muddibootz

Muddibootz Funster

Good point. I do monitor the MPG occasionally but only using the display on the dashboard. I do the same in the car. I know historically these were never very accurate but I'm pleased with the figures they show so have not yet tried to prove them wrong.

Has anyone else proved how inaccurate they can be?

18. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

There must be loads of variables / inaccuracies, to start with I am sure most speedos read around 10% above actual speed, which I then presume means the odometer is also reading 10% high. Then the calibrations are presumeably done with new tyres, so as they wear down the diameter reduces increasing the turns per mile

By the time these values have been further modified by the on board computer they really can only be a guide at best, but like you I keep an eye on mine, but as Jim says only really to look for significant change (y)

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  19. Khizzie

Khizzie Funster

Brilliant Jim,that's about what I got on my tour around England and Wales this year khizzie weighs in at 3500kg max. And has a 2.8 HDI engine.

• Like Like x 1
  20. pyro

pyro Funster

I agree, the variables of speed, acceleration, headwind, etc must make an enormous difference

The GPS speed (which is independent of tyres, etc) indicates that our vehicle speedo is over reading by around 8 -10%. The on board computer is a bit of a joke when it comes to calculating remaining range of fuel, it basically seems to use the instantaneous consumption to calculate remaining range