Pleased with MPG (1 Viewer)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I'm not one who normally checks MPG .. it uses what it uses.. why get stressed about it.. However on this trip to Wales, just out of interest, decided to check ..

Filled up before leaving in Woodbridge and refilled in Wales on the M4 when we had done 268 miles..

We were held up on the M25, stop start driving for about 45 mins . not great for consumption.. the rest of the journey was ok..

I drive at between 60 - 65 .. occasional 70 when overtaking .. all depends on traffic.. so not hanging about but not thrashing it either..

Hymer b644, 2.8 JDT gross weight 4,000kg .

Diesel bought 40.5 lt .. ~ 30 mpg

very satisfied.. and better than I expected ..

I accept it is only a snapshot.. and it needs several tanks to get a more accurate results.

Last edited:

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I'm not one who normally checks MPG .. it uses what it uses.. why get stressed about it.. However on this trip to Wales, just out of interest, decided to check ..

Filled up before leaving in Woodbridge and refilled in Wales on the M4 when we had done 268 miles..

We were held up on the M25, stop start driving for about 45 mins . not great for consumption.. the rest of the journey was ok..

I drive at between 60 - 65 .. occasional 70 when overtaking .. all depends on traffic.. so not hanging about but not thrashing it either..

I accept it is only a snapshot.. and it needs several tanks to get a more accurate results.

Good figure scotjim I will only ever see that going downhill:LOL:

Martin

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I forgot to say, when I brimmed it in Woodbridge it was with Shell super duper V power diesel.. don't normally buy it, but went into a pump with no other choice.. .. .. so gave it a treat ..

so perhaps the V power diesel does improve MPG ..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I forgot to say, when I brimmed it in Woodbridge it was with Shell super duper V power diesel.. don't normally buy it, but went into a pump with no other choice.. .. .. so gave it a treat ..

so perhaps the V power diesel does improve MPG ..
I have tried the odd tank full in France and always "think" it's seems to run better but never checked it with real figures.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
That is a very acceptable result

Will give the super stuff a go myself, off to Scotland for 2 weeks this weekend, the most amazing results we ever got using super unleaded was in a generator when we tugged. We used to go to a beach CL out of season and were usually alone, ran generator for TV, a tank of fuel lasted about 4 hours, so we would pull generator for 6:00 news and watch till it conked, used to be 10:00 +/- 1/2 hour every time. Bought some super unleaded by mistake in the fuel can, only cost a few pence more for the gallon can, but on the next few generator runs it was still going into the early hours with us trying to sleep through it, being too lazy to go out and turn it off o_O and thinking on first go it will stop any minute, virtually doubled the running time on a fixed volume (y)

I do find brimming the tank seems to vary a lot on my MH, not really sure why, I have had everything from overflowing on forecourt to getting back in after multiple auto stops and finding tank halfway between 3/4 and full on gauge, proper mpg nearly impossible by this method for us. But on longer trips we do add the total fuel bought and divide by miles done, always ends up at 19 point something :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
@DavidG58
I'm a born skeptic, the MPG figure looks 'too good to be true' , and it's just one fill, and as you say, brimming it can be different amounts depending on cut-out point of pump..

am going to test over several tanks..

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
On the basis that the daughter's Seat 1.4 TSI (130 HP) consistently achieves 42 mpg for the same journey as our 3.5 t fully laden 130 HP Euro 5+ (2.3) does for almost 31 mpg, based on brimming it and reported mpg (little difference) I have no complaints at all

I have tried the supposedly "superior" diesel by mistake, and I also "think" it sounds like the engine is running a little smoother, but I have my doubts that it is anything but psychological as I haven't compared it scientifically

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
brimming it can be different amounts depending on cut-out point of pump..

I made the brimming mistake with mine when I first bought it. I filled it to cuttoff and then at the next fill did my calculations. Problem is, after the first cuttoff, if I'm very, very patient I can get another 40-50 litres in :) It takes a full 10 minutes, so for me, seeing the fuel there in the neck its the only way to know for sure the actual mpg.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
We've noticed that our 30mpg drops massively if there is a strong headwind, also that if we increase our average speed from 60mph to 70mph then the performance drops to about 23mpg, which is shocking taking into account its only 10 more mph

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Ours goes a hundred miles to each quarter tank mark on the gauge, never fails , motorway , country roads , in traffic, anything always start looking for diesel at 360 miles, and useualy we fill around 380, never fails , don't know what miles to the gallon it is as iv never checked after the first few fills and then it was about 28 mpg

papaken

Free Member
Jan 29, 2013
newcastle upon tyne
Funster No
MH
autocruise star spirit
Exp
When the fuel shortage was on in France I found I did about 100miles to a quarter of a tank so I always now look to fill up when down to a quarter of the tank.
I record my purchase and cost at each top up but have never bothered to work out mpg.
My last top up was about ten mile from Calais and now back in Whickham Gateshead on a short trip to get my wing mirror replaced my fuel warning light has just come on.

Muddibootz

Free Member
Jan 4, 2016
North Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest
Exp
since 1994

If you have a value you're happy with, I'd stick with that figure and stop measuring.

Don't forget that fuel consumption can go down as well as up :)

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Don't forget that fuel consumption can go down as well as up :)

oh yes indeed.. I only got 12 mpg with my RV.. ;) can't recall ever posting that I was pleased with it :ROFLMAO:

actually it's worth while keeping an eye on MPG .. not every tank.. but every so often worth checking and if you see an unexplained drop it may point to something amiss..

for example.. my Honda CRV , never great on MPG but was around 30.. then for no reason it fell it about 25 mpg .. Investigating I found one of the rear brake callipers was partially seized and the pads were rubbing ..

Muddibootz

Free Member
Jan 4, 2016
North Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest
Exp
since 1994
oh yes indeed.. I only got 12 mpg with my RV.. ;) can't recall ever posting that I was pleased with it :ROFLMAO:

actually it's worth while keeping an eye on MPG .. not every tank.. but every so often worth checking and if you see an unexplained drop it may point to something amiss..

for example.. my Honda CRV , never great on MPG but was around 30.. then for no reason it fell it about 25 mpg .. Investigating I found one of the rear brake callipers was partially seized and the pads were rubbing ..

Good point. I do monitor the MPG occasionally but only using the display on the dashboard. I do the same in the car. I know historically these were never very accurate but I'm pleased with the figures they show so have not yet tried to prove them wrong.

Has anyone else proved how inaccurate they can be?

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Has anyone else proved how inaccurate they can be?

There must be loads of variables / inaccuracies, to start with I am sure most speedos read around 10% above actual speed, which I then presume means the odometer is also reading 10% high. Then the calibrations are presumeably done with new tyres, so as they wear down the diameter reduces increasing the turns per mile

By the time these values have been further modified by the on board computer they really can only be a guide at best, but like you I keep an eye on mine, but as Jim says only really to look for significant change (y)

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002

Brilliant Jim,that's about what I got on my tour around England and Wales this year khizzie weighs in at 3500kg max. And has a 2.8 HDI engine.

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
I agree, the variables of speed, acceleration, headwind, etc must make an enormous difference

The GPS speed (which is independent of tyres, etc) indicates that our vehicle speedo is over reading by around 8 -10%. The on board computer is a bit of a joke when it comes to calculating remaining range of fuel, it basically seems to use the instantaneous consumption to calculate remaining range

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
I think the on-board computer on our Fiat is not too far out on fuel economy.
I reset the trip for every long journey so that I can get an idea of consumption and usually get around 26mpg with a bit more on a good day and a lot less in a head wind.
The actual consumption, logged on a fuel app, from new is 25.81mpg at 16k miles.

Richard.

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
This prompted me to calculate mine from the figures we recorded on our last trip. It's a 7 tonne vehicle with a not very efficient 8.1 litre V8 engine, and it came out at 9 mpg, which is exactly what I expected. That's LPG, so equivalent in petrol cost terms is about 16 mpg. It's not something I worry about; like any motorhome, the RV has its disadvantages as well as its advantages.

Muddibootz

Free Member
Jan 4, 2016
North Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest
Exp
since 1994
This prompted me to calculate mine from the figures we recorded on our last trip. It's a 7 tonne vehicle with a not very efficient 8.1 litre V8 engine, and it came out at 9 mpg, which is exactly what I expected. That's LPG, so equivalent in petrol cost terms is about 16 mpg. It's not something I worry about; like any motorhome, the RV has its disadvantages as well as its advantages.

Although your 16mpg figure has made me feel better :) , I absolutely agree that it's not something to worry about. It's just one of those bills that has to be paid in order to enjoy our motorhomes. The cost of fuel is not something I factor in when planning a trip so why should I worry about it? (except as mentioned previously about spotting mechanical problems).

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
I made the brimming mistake with mine when I first bought it. I filled it to cuttoff and then at the next fill did my calculations. Problem is, after the first cuttoff, if I'm very, very patient I can get another 40-50 litres in :) It takes a full 10 minutes, so for me, seeing the fuel there in the neck its the only way to know for sure the actual mpg.

If you can park it facing uphill when filling, you can probably brim it first go. Its a trick we used on ambulances since the mid 90s & it worked on every single one no matter which manufacturer built the base vehicle. The difference is unbelievable. We did it for laziness especially if we were setting off for a long run.

Reactions: Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
It's a 7 tonne vehicle with a not very efficient 8.1 litre V8 engine,

The last 8.1 Chevy we owned pulled a 34 ft Georgie Boy and on long trips down south we could coax 9.9 mpg out of her. Thrash her and she'd return 6 or 7 mpg. A small price to pay for the luxury home you were in :)

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
The last 8.1 Chevy we owned pulled a 34 ft Georgie Boy and on long trips down south we could coax 9.9 mpg out of her. Thrash her and she'd return 6 or 7 mpg. A small price to pay for the luxury home you were in :)

That's the sort of fuel consumption Hazel got out of our last DIESEL Range Rover when using it locally & to do with our horses, no towing. Needless to say, we don't have it now. :unsure:

Steve

LIFE MEMBER
May 8, 2013
Compton Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
on and off for 40 years

I would be more that happy with that. 23-25 for me. same spec. mh

Steve

LIFE MEMBER
May 8, 2013
Compton Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
on and off for 40 years
yours is a C class, if it has a luton bed, may be the reason your not getting better MPG ?

in saying that, driving style has probably more to do with economy than anything else..

Yes, the Luton is not very aero dynamic, and often towing

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back