Planning Our First Continental Motorhome Trip

Discussion in 'Continental Touring' started by Slackhouse, Oct 18, 2010.

1. Slackhouse

Slackhouse Funster

:Smile:Hi - we are planning our first continental trip in France for next July. We will be travelling down to the Channel from West Yorks to either use the ferry or Eurotunnel.
    We intend to over-night before crossing and also when we arrive in France before setting off on the tour. Any advice on stop off sites would be appreciated - we are members of the Caravan Club so CL sites are on the menu.

Thanks

Pete

2. Loujess

Loujess Read Only Funster

Hi Pete
    We did our first trip in May and just loved it. We went west and saw the landing beaches and some war cemetaries along to Normandy. One of my favourite stops was at Pegasus Bridge. Fantastic and the guide was amazing. The best book you can get is All the Aires in France from Vicarious Books at Folkestone. I wish we had had it then and could have avoided some car parks and extortionate camp sites. We went as far as Mon St Michel which really has to be seen and you can park right down by the sea. The parking is £10 euros for 24 hours and the speed at which the tide comes in and goes out is breathtaking. A great aire to go to is at Honfleur. That's a lovely town and lots to see. Another really useful book when looking for sites is the Camping Europe 1 book from the Caravan Club. I didn't actually stop at any of the CC sites. I've also heard the ACSI card is a good scheme and am thinking of this for next year.

We have just returned from a second trip, this time down the east side following the Rhone, then to Avignon (beautiful city), Provence, the Alps, Grenoble then up to Nancy, Metz and into Germany for the Moselle Valley.

Ivy

3. 400ixl

400ixl Read Only Funster

For the stop over before the crossing, you can park up on the East Parade in Dover and crash for the night. We did this in May this year and there were about 10 others all doing the same. Right on the beach and 2 minutes from the dock.

4. madbluemad

madbluemad

As said above by 400ixl, stop on the front at Dover the night before you sail. When you get over there, there is a nice site at Guines thats about 20min drive from the ferry port at calais.

Dont forget to buy an ACSI card for discounts on camp sites although I think the 2010 cards are sold out.

Jim
    :Smile:

5. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

6. Slackhouse

Slackhouse Funster

First Continental trip

Hi thanks for all the tips - we don't want to travel too far in one trip so sites close to Callais are appreciated. We hope to pick up on a couple of the Tour De France legs so planning has got to wait untill they release the route.:thumb:

7. cyclingdoglucy

cyclingdoglucy Read Only Funster

acsi card

Dont forget to buy an ACSI card for discounts on camp sites although I think the 2010 cards are sold out.

hi .
    if you want a asci card then you can have mine that i will not be useing for the remainder of the year , i hope this helps , just pm me with your address . if you do go have a nice time & kind regards.
    brian & julie.
    mr bean:thumb:

8. Brisey

Brisey Funster Life Member

Hi Slackhouse

The route for the 2011 tour has been released. It starts in the Vendee region on 2nd July and finishes in Paris on 24th July.

http://www.letour.fr/indexus.html

Brisey.

9. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Paris is quite close to Calais, grand site on Bois de Boulogne. Well that was our first continental MH test run.

http://www.campingduboisdeboulogne.fr/indexuk.html