Planning Our First Continental Motorhome Trip (1 Viewer)

Slackhouse

Free Member
Sep 19, 2010
Hebden Bridge
Funster No
Exp
One
:Smile:Hi - we are planning our first continental trip in France for next July. We will be travelling down to the Channel from West Yorks to either use the ferry or Eurotunnel.
We intend to over-night before crossing and also when we arrive in France before setting off on the tour. Any advice on stop off sites would be appreciated - we are members of the Caravan Club so CL sites are on the menu.

Thanks

Pete

Loujess

Free Member
Jan 10, 2010
Leeds UK
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
Hi Pete
We did our first trip in May and just loved it. We went west and saw the landing beaches and some war cemetaries along to Normandy. One of my favourite stops was at Pegasus Bridge. Fantastic and the guide was amazing. The best book you can get is All the Aires in France from Vicarious Books at Folkestone. I wish we had had it then and could have avoided some car parks and extortionate camp sites. We went as far as Mon St Michel which really has to be seen and you can park right down by the sea. The parking is ÂŁ10 euros for 24 hours and the speed at which the tide comes in and goes out is breathtaking. A great aire to go to is at Honfleur. That's a lovely town and lots to see. Another really useful book when looking for sites is the Camping Europe 1 book from the Caravan Club. I didn't actually stop at any of the CC sites. I've also heard the ACSI card is a good scheme and am thinking of this for next year.

We have just returned from a second trip, this time down the east side following the Rhone, then to Avignon (beautiful city), Provence, the Alps, Grenoble then up to Nancy, Metz and into Germany for the Moselle Valley.

Ivy

400ixl

Free Member
Sep 14, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt High
Exp
3 years
For the stop over before the crossing, you can park up on the East Parade in Dover and crash for the night. We did this in May this year and there were about 10 others all doing the same. Right on the beach and 2 minutes from the dock.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
As said above by 400ixl, stop on the front at Dover the night before you sail. When you get over there, there is a nice site at Guines thats about 20min drive from the ferry port at calais.

Dont forget to buy an ACSI card for discounts on camp sites although I think the 2010 cards are sold out.

Jim
:Smile:

OP
OP
Slackhouse

Slackhouse

Free Member
Sep 19, 2010
Hebden Bridge
Funster No
Exp
One
First Continental trip

Hi thanks for all the tips - we don't want to travel too far in one trip so sites close to Callais are appreciated. We hope to pick up on a couple of the Tour De France legs so planning has got to wait untill they release the route.:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

cyclingdoglucy

Free Member
Apr 27, 2009
lancashire
Funster No
MH
retired vehicle
Exp
retired 4 months
acsi card

Dont forget to buy an ACSI card for discounts on camp sites although I think the 2010 cards are sold out.

hi .
if you want a asci card then you can have mine that i will not be useing for the remainder of the year , i hope this helps , just pm me with your address . if you do go have a nice time & kind regards.
brian & julie.
mr bean:thumb:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007

Join us or log in to post a reply.