Pitch markers?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by beachcaster, Jun 24, 2011.

1. beachcaster

beachcaster Read Only Funster

On a CC site this weekend .....what do others do when they leave their pitch for an outing....to show the pitch is occupied:)

Mainly serious answers please :)

barry

2. nokaii

nokaii Read Only Funster

We have a spare No. plate on a steel spike that we hammer into the ground, only used it once up to now though!

Steve

• Like Like x 1
  3. slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob Read Only Funster

leave the RV where it is no problem then

We haul a car trailer and if need means we need to leave the site we take the car off the trailer.. so it is not an issue for us.

BUT I hate these signs you can now buy saying the pitch is reserved.. .if you leave it you should lose it. To many feel they own the pitch they park on.

Bob:Eek!:

• Like Like x 1
  4. ninjayorkies

ninjayorkies Read Only Funster

The CC ask you to leave stuff on your pitch if you go out so I leave a bucket with my water bottles in, chair if there's one outside and my cable.

5. Bailey58

Bailey58 Funster Life Member

If you book a pitch on a C&CC site then that's your pitch for the duration of your stay, like Nokali I use a number plate on a metal spike (attached to the EHU in case anyone dares try to move it)

You did say mainly serious answers! :Rofl1:

6. johnbwhitehead

johnbwhitehead Read Only Funster

number plate

we have a number plate which is on a board also we leave a water butt onsite . not had any problems

7. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

We have a pitch reserved sign that we got free in a magazine promo a few years ago. Used it a couple of times on sites when we have had to go off for the day (pitch reserved for duration of stay) and a couple of times at meets when asked by a marshal to reserve a pitch for someone else.

8. Dodgey

Dodgey Funster

As I understand both the CC and C&CC, plus others I suspect, ask you to leave some form of pitch marker in case, frankly, they forget your on site. Makes sence, they think free pitch, don't check and book someone on, sites full, you return and no pitch. Makes sence, they like us are only human and esspecially larger sites, multiple arrivals it could easy happen.

Talking to a C&CC manager the other day and last Friday they had 75 arrivals due, so easy to see the logic?

9. pablomc

pablomc Funster Life Member

Previously we have left a plastic bag tied to or over the the pitch number marker (non CC site).

We now have a home made (thanks to the father in law) "pitch in use" board. Painted wood with a couple of L brackets on the back and tent pegs to hold in place.

10. ninjayorkies

One of the sites I stayed on in Kirkby Lonsdale put this on my pitch so I kept it. Was going to paint 'MINE' on it but guess I'll stick to attaching a number plate or something sensible[​IMG] :BigGrin:

11. slobadoberbob

Does not work so well in France - they nick anything

Does not work very well in France.. if you leave stuff on the site and go out..often it is gone when you come back.. mind you even paid deposit on a pitch 4 months ahead and found it was occupied by a Dutch camper.. hell of a job to get it moved.. but I booked and paid for the pitch...

I can see the logic of what Simon says re number of arrivals.. but still hate to see these signs making claims to space.. and as for reserving a space for someone else.. seems we want to do like the Germans in hotels.. put a beach towel on a bed.... for example at the RVOC meet in Oswestry this year we have to arrive at the same time if we want to park with friends... not easy when 4 of us with a combined 117 ' of motorhomes and trailers.. you find a lay-by that can accomadate 4 RV's on the way to a meet so they arrive together.

I could see the sense in being allowed to reserve a space then. But for most european motorhomes I do question it. I think the worse is when you arrive at a site and lots of spaces are blocked up with caravans that clearly are there long term when clearly they are not being used... same on CL's being used in effect as perminate sites with no real meeting the spirit of the rules and if moved after 28 days just shunt a few feet over or go off site to get fuel and come back.

Watched a beat up old van (a converted Ambulance) worse than JJ's by a mile being used as accommodation over night.. in the days he went off to work. makes you wonder how the CCC at Canterbury allowed it. It was not a holiday base or stop over to the docks it was long term.

Just think some people take the michael and abuse the spirit of staying on a site.

Bob:Eek!:

12. chesterfield hooligan

chesterfield hooligan Funster

:Rofl1: Hi I used to leave the Kid's untill they grew up now I leave the wife :Rofl1::cry:

• Like Like x 2
  13. slobadoberbob

what a great idea

What a great idea.. only problem kids have grown up and do not want to come camping.. and no way do I want there kids.. hate them.. hate kids...

Bob:Blush:

14. lorger

lorger Funster

if its a cc site you will get the key for the toilet block with your pitch number on it so if anyone else comes in for that pitch warden will know its already in use as should be no key on board.
    We have a board with our name on it but have never used it. Personally i think its a good idea to give people their own pitch as there might be reasons for it unknown to others.

15. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

As Gerry says, on some sites there are other elements combined with the pitch. Without a marker a new arrival might inadvertently take a pitch already in use and then have to move.

At a permanent site you are, logically, renting a pitch for a given duration in a similar manner to renting a hotel room. The situation at a rally/meet is totally different.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Detnor

Detnor Funster

I have a cheap plastic bucket with registration written on it, I fill it with water and leave it - heavy enough to stay put!

On a c&cc temp holiday site last year I watched in amazement as a couple of members of the organising group put gas bottles out in the field to reserve spaces for friends. There was a bit of a trouble later when it turned out someone had opened the valves and vented the bottles.

17. ninjayorkies

I booked to stay on one CL and turned up to find all 5 pitches taken up with people who lived in their vans or stayed long term. I ended up having to stick the van at the end of the track and then the idiots in the nearest caravan parked in front of me so I had no way of getting out. Wasn't amused :Angry:

18. dylan

dylan Read Only Funster

A quick check on our site was a rubber mat, a step and ehu cable. Not going to go missing here (she said with fingers crossed) and they stay on the same allocated pitch while they are here.

19. motorhomelover

motorhomelover

A quick telephone call the local council would soon sort that one out
    there are strict planning rules to stop long term over staying the owners of the site are silly if they are allowing this to occur on their site.

20. beachcaster

beachcaster Read Only Funster

many thanks for all the ideas .....I have now come up with one which I will try over the weekend.......

Just drilled 3 holes to take pegs into the 3 legs of an aluminium mini washing line I just bought from Lidl.

Ill peg it into the middle of my empty pitch with a pair of my mother -in -laws double gusset knickers bellowing on it like a spinnaker...that should put people off . They are so big she has to get them on prescription !!!

thanks again

barry

failing that...perhaps Jim could do a funster flag with " Bugger Off " on it :)

• Like Like x 2