Free Member
Dec 18, 2010
east sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
a few years
On a CC site this weekend .....what do others do when they leave their pitch for an outing....to show the pitch is occupied:)

Mainly serious answers please :)

barry

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
leave the RV where it is no problem then

On a CC site this weekend .....what do others do when they leave their pitch for an outing....to show the pitch is occupied:)

Mainly serious answers please :)

barry

We haul a car trailer and if need means we need to leave the site we take the car off the trailer.. so it is not an issue for us.

BUT I hate these signs you can now buy saying the pitch is reserved.. .if you leave it you should lose it. To many feel they own the pitch they park on.

Bob:whatthe:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

ninjayorkies

Free Member
Mar 28, 2010
Lutterworth
Funster No
MH
A Beastie
Exp
Since July 2010
The CC ask you to leave stuff on your pitch if you go out so I leave a bucket with my water bottles in, chair if there's one outside and my cable.

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
If you book a pitch on a C&CC site then that's your pitch for the duration of your stay, like Nokali I use a number plate on a metal spike (attached to the EHU in case anyone dares try to move it)

You did say mainly serious answers! :ROFLMAO:

johnbwhitehead

Free Member
Jun 30, 2009
Funster No
MH
compass amazon
Exp
2 years
number plate

we have a number plate which is on a board also we leave a water butt onsite . not had any problems

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
We have a pitch reserved sign that we got free in a magazine promo a few years ago. Used it a couple of times on sites when we have had to go off for the day (pitch reserved for duration of stay) and a couple of times at meets when asked by a marshal to reserve a pitch for someone else.

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
BUT I hate these signs you can now buy saying the pitch is reserved.. .if you leave it you should lose it. To many feel they own the pitch they park on.

As I understand both the CC and C&CC, plus others I suspect, ask you to leave some form of pitch marker in case, frankly, they forget your on site. Makes sence, they think free pitch, don't check and book someone on, sites full, you return and no pitch. Makes sence, they like us are only human and esspecially larger sites, multiple arrivals it could easy happen.

Talking to a C&CC manager the other day and last Friday they had 75 arrivals due, so easy to see the logic?

pablomc

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 20, 2010
Durham
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
Previously we have left a plastic bag tied to or over the the pitch number marker (non CC site).

We now have a home made (thanks to the father in law) "pitch in use" board. Painted wood with a couple of L brackets on the back and tent pegs to hold in place.

ninjayorkies

Free Member
Mar 28, 2010
Lutterworth
Funster No
MH
A Beastie
Exp
Since July 2010
One of the sites I stayed on in Kirkby Lonsdale put this on my pitch so I kept it. Was going to paint 'MINE' on it but guess I'll stick to attaching a number plate or something sensible
IMG_5014.jpg
::bigsmile:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
Does not work so well in France - they nick anything

Does not work very well in France.. if you leave stuff on the site and go out..often it is gone when you come back.. mind you even paid deposit on a pitch 4 months ahead and found it was occupied by a Dutch camper.. hell of a job to get it moved.. but I booked and paid for the pitch...

I can see the logic of what Simon says re number of arrivals.. but still hate to see these signs making claims to space.. and as for reserving a space for someone else.. seems we want to do like the Germans in hotels.. put a beach towel on a bed.... for example at the RVOC meet in Oswestry this year we have to arrive at the same time if we want to park with friends... not easy when 4 of us with a combined 117 ' of motorhomes and trailers.. you find a lay-by that can accomadate 4 RV's on the way to a meet so they arrive together.

I could see the sense in being allowed to reserve a space then. But for most european motorhomes I do question it. I think the worse is when you arrive at a site and lots of spaces are blocked up with caravans that clearly are there long term when clearly they are not being used... same on CL's being used in effect as perminate sites with no real meeting the spirit of the rules and if moved after 28 days just shunt a few feet over or go off site to get fuel and come back.

Watched a beat up old van (a converted Ambulance) worse than JJ's by a mile being used as accommodation over night.. in the days he went off to work. makes you wonder how the CCC at Canterbury allowed it. It was not a holiday base or stop over to the docks it was long term.

Just think some people take the michael and abuse the spirit of staying on a site.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
if its a cc site you will get the key for the toilet block with your pitch number on it so if anyone else comes in for that pitch warden will know its already in use as should be no key on board.
We have a board with our name on it but have never used it. Personally i think its a good idea to give people their own pitch as there might be reasons for it unknown to others.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
As Gerry says, on some sites there are other elements combined with the pitch. Without a marker a new arrival might inadvertently take a pitch already in use and then have to move.

At a permanent site you are, logically, renting a pitch for a given duration in a similar manner to renting a hotel room. The situation at a rally/meet is totally different.

May 12, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Hymer
I have a cheap plastic bucket with registration written on it, I fill it with water and leave it - heavy enough to stay put!

On a c&cc temp holiday site last year I watched in amazement as a couple of members of the organising group put gas bottles out in the field to reserve spaces for friends. There was a bit of a trouble later when it turned out someone had opened the valves and vented the bottles.

ninjayorkies

Free Member
Mar 28, 2010
Lutterworth
Funster No
MH
A Beastie
Exp
Since July 2010
I think the worse is when you arrive at a site and lots of spaces are blocked up with caravans that clearly are there long term when clearly they are not being used... same on CL's being used in effect as perminate sites with no real meeting the spirit of the rules and if moved after 28 days just shunt a few feet over or go off site to get fuel and come back

I booked to stay on one CL and turned up to find all 5 pitches taken up with people who lived in their vans or stayed long term. I ended up having to stick the van at the end of the track and then the idiots in the nearest caravan parked in front of me so I had no way of getting out. Wasn't amused :Angry:

dylan

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
sw wales
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
n/a
A quick check on our site was a rubber mat, a step and ehu cable. Not going to go missing here (she said with fingers crossed) and they stay on the same allocated pitch while they are here.

Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
I booked to stay on one CL and turned up to find all 5 pitches taken up with people who lived in their vans or stayed long term. I ended up having to stick the van at the end of the track and then the idiots in the nearest caravan parked in front of me so I had no way of getting out. Wasn't amused :Angry:
A quick telephone call the local council would soon sort that one out
there are strict planning rules to stop long term over staying the owners of the site are silly if they are allowing this to occur on their site.

OP
OP
B

beachcaster

Free Member
Dec 18, 2010
east sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
a few years
many thanks for all the ideas .....I have now come up with one which I will try over the weekend.......

Just drilled 3 holes to take pegs into the 3 legs of an aluminium mini washing line I just bought from Lidl.

Ill peg it into the middle of my empty pitch with a pair of my mother -in -laws double gusset knickers bellowing on it like a spinnaker...that should put people off . They are so big she has to get them on prescription !!!

thanks again

barry

failing that...perhaps Jim could do a funster flag with " Bugger Off " on it :)

dellwood33

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
italian crap
Exp
too long
You may return to find someone using it for drying clothes or for satellite reception :ROFLMAO::Smile:

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Some (most) sites in France expect you to go and find a pitch and then tell them later where you are. In this case something to indicate the pitch is occupied is useful, as if someone else took it thinking it available, the site management would probably move them on.

I was somewhat surprised to arrive at the Charmes (Vosges) Aire last month to find someone had put stuff out to reserve their space, which I'm sure is not acceptable behaviour on a busy and popular aire (around 60 vans on it at the time). As there were better spots free I didn't do anything about it, but if that was the only space left I would have moved their stuff and used it.:Angry:

OP
OP
B

beachcaster

Free Member
Dec 18, 2010
east sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
a few years
You may return to find someone using it for drying clothes or for satellite reception :ROFLMAO::Smile:

Lets put it like this....if pale super elasticated pink wool with automatic moisture wicking and advanced thermal weave could pick up a signal..........we'd have no problem watching Eastenders in the southern most regions of Spain :Smile:

barry

dylan

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
sw wales
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
n/a
Friends of mine have just mailed me today to say they went off site to Rutland Water and left fire bucket, ehu cable and ramps on their pitch and got back to find a motorhome parked up on their pitch using all their equipment ! On talking to him they found out he was on the wrong pitch and the wrong site !! :roflmto:
They were newbies it seems !

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Pete refuses to leave anything belonging to us on site, even CC, have to roll up electrickery cable and everything before we sally forth to the local emporiae and attractions.

I bow to his superior prior knowledge in these matters because he has used CC sites for over 40 years and I haven't. :Doh:

We do both think regarding 'saved' spaces, that on a rally it shouldn't be allowed thereby you mix with people you may not have met before and we both think that is right, though I can see where Bob is coming from in some ways, esp where disability and a potentially large distance are factors of course, but if you want to guarantee being cheek by jowl with only your existing mates round you - I'd say a large rally isn't the ideal place to do that?

I was fuming on the Aire at Azay le Rideau when someone parked cornerwise across 2 spaces, calmly erected their awning and got out all their furniture and had a party. I dunno where all the guests came from but extra chairs and tables kept appearing and soon it was 3 spaces - as yet more M'H's arrived and left again to find spaces on the adjacent carpark. :Angry: But wasn't fuming when the local gendarmerie came back several times to the one at Merville Franceville to eventually catch and move on a bloke in a van who we had observed twice going off on his bike each morning and leaving two dogs in the van all day till early evening - apparently he'd been there ages but they were never there at the right time to catch him before. :thumb:

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
if its a cc site you will get the key for the toilet block with your pitch number on it so if anyone else comes in for that pitch warden will know its already in use as should be no key on board.
We have a board with our name on it but have never used it. Personally i think its a good idea to give people their own pitch as there might be reasons for it unknown to others.
We fell foul of this situation last year. We had been on a CC site and upon returning from an afternoon off site found a caravan set up on our pitch.
icon13.gif
We showed the owner our key with the pitch number on but he flatly refused to move. We spoke to the warden who said that he could not persuade him to move and that we ought to have put some kind of marker to reserve our pitch. We had no choice but to move to the only other free pitch, even so the caravanner would not exchange the security key with our pitch number on.

After this debacle I constructed this:

Link Removed

from a computer printout which I laminated and attached to an old paint bucket.

Not had a problem since.

Wyn

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back