Piaggio MP3 500 and Easylifter Hydra-Trail advice please for prospective MHer! (2 Viewers)

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
All very good points but no one seems to have mentioned the weight as it affects the motorhome. It would need to be a substantial vehicle to have the available payload to carry both the carrier and the bike AND since all of this weight is behind the back axle you are in danger of overloading the back axle and doing a wheelie in the camper.

We have an RV but could not carry that many KGs plus the easylifter without problems. That why we www.unibrake.co.uk a Smart ForFour or tow our 'bike in a box'

There is less rear end load with a Hydratrail due to the bike/scooter sitting virtually over the trailer wheels. Certainly less than I currently have with my Excalibur trailer.

OP
OP
davidcrossland

davidcrossland

Free Member
Dec 22, 2015
Croydon
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
none
I have an MP3 and Hydratrail unit but as yet haven't used the Hydratrail due to having to change the towbar. I do however have a full bike licence (see avatar) and would strongly recommend that you have a test ride on an MP3 to make sure you are totally comfortable riding one.

I've seen from their website that it only needs a standard tow bar for the Hydratrail. However, is there a way it can work in conjunction with a removable tow bar?

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Must admit, if I ever got the urge to go with a three wheeler it is def the Adiva AD3 I would plumb for
Having seen one in the flesh I was quite impressed with the over all build. I fully expected it to be a bit flimsy and built down to a price
Yes, it is a slightly lower quality than the MP3 but in almost every other respect it is streets ahead.
Better storage ( and for motorhome use that is a major plus ), much lighter, and it has the Kymco engine which is now well proven and is fully supported every where in Europe ( and I mean every where, from Ireland to Croatia ! )

Sorry but the AD3 is a budget machine and when you get inside the panels they are very poor. Local bike shop had one in when its engine went pop.... It was in for warranty work which was just as well as the engine was scrap. Kymco engines are on a completely different quality level to the Piaggio machines.

Simply put you are not comparing equal quality machines.

In an Ideal world all motorcycles would come from Japan.. The Europeans build good quality and Piaggio and Peugeot are very good at this range of machines. .. The only people who sing the praises of Chinese machines are those that sell them and their victims. I have spent all of my adult life round motor cycles so have half a clue what Im on about ...

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
What would I know.. Only been involved with bikes for 53 years and running a bike business 16 years ( sold up last November ) so early days for me yet I spose
And that after building one off bikes for magazines way back in the 70's, doing bike testing for every major magazine often getting my own byline....
And nope, never sold Chinese bikes and am actually FAR from being a fan

However
10 years ago .. in fact I will reduce that to 5 years ago, Kymco were crap... made from rolled up cadbury chocolate wrappers and chewing gum
But they are constantly getting better and better
Year before last year I part ( small part ) sponsored a kart with a Kymco lump in it.. Never had a fail all season

As I said, over all quality is not up to Piaggio but all things considered it is the way I would go
I would be looking at weight and ability to do the job I wanted it for..

Realistically I would not be looking for longevity as the chances are a bike of any sort on the back of most motorhomes might do 500ish miles a year
( Mine did 640 this year and I reckon we are proly average users ) ( a little over 11,000 on my other bikes in the same period :) .. But the days of being a big bike user are in the past now )

As a by the by, it took Paiggio almost 18 years to make a solid reliable bike engine that did not require the carb and autochoke to be replaced with a unit from Yamaha .. Yes they have got it right nowadays and yes, they are top notch bits of kit.. I am just saying that a even some of the best had times they were not so good :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
I've seen from their website that it only needs a standard tow bar for the Hydratrail. However, is there a way it can work in conjunction with a removable tow bar?

Ideally a standard 2 bolt tow bar should be used although they say they do an adaptor for a ball. Also I know Witter do a 2 bolt removable neck.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Good advice but the problem is is finding a place that has an MP3 .... The Mp3 is quite unlike riding a conventional scooter. I have been into bikes from big road bikes to racing on track and riding an MP3 requires far less balance and ............ Well skill..
... but it WOULD give the opportunity to try riding a bike ... not everyone likes it and whilst there may NOT be a MP3 at the place, they may know of somewhere that there is one, or someone who would be willing to let him try one out there.

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
However, I know that if we go that route then another set of wheels will be an essential and that's why I'm looking at a scooter. But not having passed my test I'll need one of those 3 wheelers, like the Piaggio MP3.

However, towing a trailer is something I'd rather avoid as that's one of the reason's for moving on from caravanning.

So, my question is: Has anyone got one of those great Piaggio MP3 500 scooters and maybe the Easylifter Hydra-Trail rack?

Hi David I have an mp3 but mine is the 300 as it is marginally shorter than the 500. I had several scooters and bikes through the years but like others never bothered with a bike test and that is the main reason for the car licence Trike.

Here is mine being modelled by Ambilkate and here it is inside the MoHo. Griff

Broken Link Removed

Broken Link Removed

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Unless Ive missed it - the question about experience of the OP hasnt been answered ( apologies if it has)

Im with the people advocating caution about commiting to a motorcycle without the relevant experience. Particularly in these circumstances where you are likely to be riding with a pillion on unfamiliar roads quite likely driving on the right. I think its asking for trouble.

Ive been riding motorcycles for 40 years ( before I got on the road) I wasnt aware that this licence anomaly still existed. I would suggest CBT as an absolute minimum and would prefer to go the whole course for somebody with no experience.

Jon
btw We carry a 300cc sportcity in the garage, lovely machine, taking it to Morocco with us again.

OP
OP
davidcrossland

davidcrossland

Free Member
Dec 22, 2015
Croydon
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
none
Fortunately my Piaggio dealer offering test rides of the MP3 is less than 2 miles away here in sunny Croydon.

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
... but it WOULD give the opportunity to try riding a bike ... not everyone likes it and whilst there may NOT be a MP3 at the place, they may know of somewhere that there is one, or someone who would be willing to let him try one out there.

My point is they are not like riding a bike ! I have ridden both so this I can assure you ..

The sensible option would be to seek out a demonstrator. It may mean a travel but these 3 wheeled machines are just so much better and stable for what is after all a novice rider. That is my point the OP points out he is inexperienced so the benefits of these machines will be very obvious and obviously felt.
Main differences are the ultimate ease going into corners. The ease due to the twist and go and the back up of ABS and Traction (if fitted) To a novice who has only ridden a low power machine not a 40 odd horsepower 500 these benefits are going to be huge ! The stability alone means comparing one of these machines with a conventional scoot is almost pointless.

You only have to look at Popeyes post above to see how huge the differences are between a scooter and an MP3 ...

Doing a CBT cannot do any harm but the CBT is to demonstrate balance and control especially at slow speeds. Again this is not a machine that requires hardly any balance so what would be the benefits ? CBT is also to ensure the riders of low power machines have an awareness of what is going on around them. But we are not talking about a wet behind the ears youngster but an experienced motorist.

OP
OP
davidcrossland

davidcrossland

Free Member
Dec 22, 2015
Croydon
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
none
Hi David I have an mp3 but mine is the 300 as it is marginally shorter than the 500. I had several scooters and bikes through the years but like others never bothered with a bike test and that is the main reason for the car licence Trike.

Here is mine being modelled by Ambilkate and here it is inside the MoHo. Griff

Broken Link Removed

Broken Link Removed

Popeye, wow, that looks great. However, trying to get a MH that fits my budget, has an island bed that doesn't need a ladder and comes with a garage as big as that could be quite difficult! lol But, if someone came and offered me enough money for my business then "all change!"

OP
OP
davidcrossland

davidcrossland

Free Member
Dec 22, 2015
Croydon
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
none
My point is they are not like riding a bike ! I have ridden both so this I can assure you ..

The sensible option would be to seek out a demonstrator. It may mean a travel but these 3 wheeled machines are just so much better and stable for what is after all a novice rider. That is my point the OP points out he is inexperienced so the benefits of these machines will be very obvious and obviously felt.
Main differences are the ultimate ease going into corners. The ease due to the twist and go and the back up of ABS and Traction (if fitted) To a novice who has only ridden a low power machine not a 40 odd horsepower 500 these benefits are going to be huge ! The stability alone means comparing one of these machines with a conventional scoot is almost pointless.

You only have to look at Popeyes post above to see how huge the differences are between a scooter and an MP3 ...

Doing a CBT cannot do any harm but the CBT is to demonstrate balance and control especially at slow speeds. Again this is not a machine that requires hardly any balance so what would be the benefits ? CBT is also to ensure the riders of low power machines have an awareness of what is going on around them. But we are not talking about a wet behind the ears youngster but an experienced motorist.

I've just read your comment to my partner Sheila and she says that that's exactly what she told me last night! So if you agree with Sheila you must be right! lol

OP
OP
davidcrossland

davidcrossland

Free Member
Dec 22, 2015
Croydon
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
none
Oh! And I forgot to say that my 35 year old son John commutes daily - 15 miles each way - on a scooter so I'm sure he can give me some tips on staying out of trouble.

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Oh! And I forgot to say that my 35 year old son John commutes daily - 15 miles each way - on a scooter so I'm sure he can give me some tips on staying out of trouble.

David the 300cc Mp3 is 226kg and several inches shorter than the 500, at least meet up and have a go on mine before making your decision.

It carries the two of us effortlessly. My old Geist Silver Spirit, the Twin bedded Carthago chic e-line I 50 or 51 linerclass, chic e-line I 50 or 51 yachting and this Frankia all have a garage tall enough to take the MP3 if you remove the windscreen and mirrors. (10 minutes max)

The reason I went for the Frankia (Platin Plus) is because you effectively get two garages so I can carry both electric bikes in one of the other garages.

OP
OP
davidcrossland

davidcrossland

Free Member
Dec 22, 2015
Croydon
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
none
David the 300cc Mp3 is 226kg and several inches shorter than the 500, at least meet up and have a go on mine before making your decision.

It carries the two of us effortlessly. My old Geist Silver Spirit, the Twin bedded Carthago chic e-line I 50 or 51 linerclass, chic e-line I 50 or 51 yachting and this Frankia all have a garage tall enough to take the MP3 if you remove the windscreen and mirrors. (10 minutes max)

The reason I went for the Frankia (Platin Plus) is because you effectively get two garages so I can carry both electric bikes in one of the other garages.
Thanks Popeye, I haven't looked at any of the Frankia motor homes so will do that later today. We too have electric bikes and don't want to leave them at home so extra space is definitely of benefit. Thanks for the offer of a meet up and a go on your 300 Yourban. As I have a main Piaggio dealer close (less than 2 miles) I'm sure he'll let me do a comparison.

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Thanks Popeye, I haven't looked at any of the Frankia motor homes so will do that later today. We too have electric bikes and don't want to leave them at home so extra space is definitely of benefit. Thanks for the offer of a meet up and a go on your 300 Yourban. As I have a main Piaggio dealer close (less than 2 miles) I'm sure he'll let me do a comparison.

The Peugeots use a 400cc engine which pulls strongly. The finish fit and quality is the best of these machines. Residuals are very high indeed which is another reason I would also go MP3 or Peugeot. Aprillia do a version called the Fuoco but those have odd styling and are nowhere near as nice.

The Peugeot is best in the RS version which is well equipped and a superb machine. I rode one on very wet roads and the grip and ease of use is excellent ! I am a full licence holder and ex IAM instructor so confidence will be high for me but honestly I have never ridden what is a motor cycle at heart that is just so easy and confidence inspiring.

The seats on the Peugeot are IMO the best of the 3 machines. I would definitely go for the top box with a back rest pad so the pillion is comfortable.

The downside of these machines is the cost ! I reckon with a bit of haggling a late low mileage MP or Metropolis can be had for 5500 or thereabouts. Add a trailer like say an Ifor Quad trailer at circa 1000 for a used one or 1800 for a new one and 7500 has vanished. Not cheap !

I do genuinely believe that is asking about these machines has studied form and are aware oh how versatile they are. For someone like me with a disabled wife a conventional machine is of no use at all. For a person who wants something they can ride on a car licence that is easy to ride is confidence inspiring and has the genuine added stability then again nothing comes close.

One huge factor missed here is these things are FUN ! You will get into nooks and crannies along coastlines where you probably wouldn't go in a car no matter how small. Plus they are FUN !

Of course there are downsides. If its peeing down they wont be such a giggle. Plus the cost. Mmmmm

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
One huge factor missed here is these things are FUN ! You will get into nooks and crannies along coastlines where you probably wouldn't go in a car no matter how small. Plus they are FUN !

Of course there are downsides. If its peeing down they wont be such a giggle. Plus the cost. Mmmmm

The real fun for me is going in to a City Centre and parking for Free just about anywhere. I haven't uesed it in really bad weather yet but of course there are full waterproofs available as there is no need to put feet down.

As regards safety you do have 50% again as much rubber on the ground, plus the same from a braking point of view. I didn't realise how much safer the third wheel feels untill I demonstrated my old scooter to its new owner a few months back.

I've ridden the Peugeot and the Piaggio and I found the seat on the Piaggio better.

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
The real fun for me is going in to a City Centre and parking for Free just about anywhere. I haven't uesed it in really bad weather yet but of course there are full waterproofs available as there is no need to put feet down.

As regards safety you do have 50% again as much rubber on the ground, plus the same from a braking point of view. I didn't realise how much safer the third wheel feels untill I demonstrated my old scooter to its new owner a few months back.

I've ridden the Peugeot and the Piaggio and I found the seat on the Piaggio better.

Agree completely ! Well except the seat but hey we are all different !

My wife and I went into Vannes which is a tremendous city and well worth visiting. We had to take a bus in which was fine but it couldn't or didn't get in as close as where the scooters and bikes were parked right in the heart of the city by the harbour. When a person cannot walk far this is a huge consideration it really is. A person who is disabled in this way will walk but hell do they pay the price ! Again this has to be taken in.

The first time I rode an MP it took me back how much better and importantly stable these machines are. Again I refer to my passenger. I do this because even a silly tumble say perhaps a missed foot at a junction or traffic lights where perhaps the machine gets dropped and we fall off.
To two able bodied people the likelihood is the worst damage would be to the riders pride and maybe a bruise or two.. For my wife an event like that could genuinely be life changing. You know what the very thought of that scares me witless and Im not person who worries that much ..

Of course there is still a risk with a 3 wheeled machine. But that risk is minimised .

When my wife was well we went all over the place on bikes. Mostly on Honda Blackbirds or ZZR 1100s and latterly ZZR1400 Even took here for a lap or two round the Nurbergring in Germany. Sadly now only a 3 wheeler is a possibility and the thought of us excites and worries us in equal measures. (y)

OP
OP
davidcrossland

davidcrossland

Free Member
Dec 22, 2015
Croydon
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
none
Many, many thanks for all your feedback, particularly the recent comments from Popeye and Charlie.

I've had a look at the Peugeot Metropolis and see that the power (27.4kw) is not much less than the MP3 500 (29.5kw). Interestingly though the dry weight is almost identical on both machines.

However, the Peugeot doesn't have ABS or ASR (traction control). With the Peugeot there's a saving of close to £600 to offset that and they also are offering extras worth £500 for only £50

My nearest Piaggio dealer here in sunny Croydon where I live presently is 2 miles away and when I move next year to Pocklington (near York) the dealer is in York 15 miles away.

My nearest Peugeot dealer here in sunny Croydon where I live presently is 6 miles away and when I move next year to Pocklington (near York) the dealer is in Worksop 55 miles away.

Popping in to York (free parking) and leaving my scooter for its service while my partner and I shop seems quite a pleasant way to spend a day.

I'm told that the latest Piaggio MP3 500 has a much bigger more comfortable seat - although interestingly they also offer a gel seat upgrade (so maybe it's for those who prefer the Peugeot seat lol).

I love your comments guys on the safety aspect of these scooters. Many thanks for those. It's quite reassuring for both myself and my partner to read your reassurances.

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Another option though not a sensible one is the Can Am Spider................

Complete and utter lunacy at its best ! Saw one in La Rochelle this last summer and another one on Il De Re and could not help think that would be for us the ultimate answer to our needs. But at this time we have our house on the market as the wife really needs a bungalow now and until we are sorted we cant buy any more vehicles.

One of these would of course need a trailer and its far to mad to buy one but then its far to mad not to...:D:D:D

Its boxing day evening and a blokes allowed to dream eh ?

Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki Tag, 2007.
Exp
I have the 2012 version of the 500 sport. Never ridden before, downgraded from two to one car plus the bike with the intention of also towing it behind the MH.

Three years on and luckily no mishaps, towed it behind MH around France and Spain and enjoyed every minute of using it as described by others.

The original seat was awful, but I think the newer model has been improved.

I use a trailer but you ideally have to be able to manhandle the trailer with the bike on, took a wrong turn a couple of times and being able just to unhook it and turn it round was a godsend, trying to reverse a large MH with a trailer attached that you cant see is not easy.

Insurance for me started at around £350 and is now down to about £270.

I now rarely put my feet down but it takes some practice and you have to be on your guard just in case you miss the switch or it fails, if it starts to fall over it would take some stopping.

Hope this helps.

Steve

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Saw these 4 wheelers on holiday in 2013 ... brilliant way for wheelchair users to still enjoy 'driving' and riding a bike. Also a 3 wheeler too. The only problem is they'd be no easier to park, or weave through the traffic, than a car.

P5253487.JPG
P5253488.JPG
P5253491.JPG
P5253492.JPG
P5253493.JPG

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
I have the 2012 version of the 500 sport. Never ridden before, downgraded from two to one car plus the bike with the intention of also towing it behind the MH.

Three years on and luckily no mishaps, towed it behind MH around France and Spain and enjoyed every minute of using it as described by others.

The original seat was awful, but I think the newer model has been improved.

I use a trailer but you ideally have to be able to manhandle the trailer with the bike on, took a wrong turn a couple of times and being able just to unhook it and turn it round was a godsend, trying to reverse a large MH with a trailer attached that you cant see is not easy.

Insurance for me started at around £350 and is now down to about £270.

I now rarely put my feet down but it takes some practice and you have to be on your guard just in case you miss the switch or it fails, if it starts to fall over it would take some stopping.

Hope this helps.

Steve
When I rode the Peugeot I didn't trust that switch. It just seemed natural to put my feet down. But heck it's a great thing for getting a less than able bodied person on board then mounting up and taking off.

Thanks for a riders input !

Oh and there are companies who specialise in re constructing motor bike seats often putting in gel pads and stuff so as to greatly improve comfort...

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki Tag, 2007.
Exp
Oh and there are companies who specialise in re constructing motor bike seats often putting in gel pads and stuff so as to greatly improve comfort...

Yes but very expensive. I am tall so purchased the optional gel seat for mine which added about an inch to the height, also added some washers under the front for a little extra. I was also lucky enough to get brackets so I could add m/c pegs to mine which means I can stretch my legs out.

I did visit a local m/c training co recently to look into obtaining my full licence but the bikes they use are too small for me to be comfortable on, so gave up on that idea.

OP
OP
davidcrossland

davidcrossland

Free Member
Dec 22, 2015
Croydon
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
none
Going back to the safety aspect of bikes and in particular the stability with a pillion getting on and off etc. this is one of the reasons I was also interested in the.... (drum roll)

Quadro4! 350cc

Has anyone else looked at this? Broken Link Removed

It has over 30% more power than the Yourban MP3 300 but 25% less power than the MP3 500. It is also the most expensive at £8500!

No ABS or traction control but it does have 4 disc brakes and 2 wheel drive on the back. How this compares/makes up for the lack of ABS or traction control I do not know. Any comments on this from you experienced bikers?

And, I presume, almost impossible for it to topple over.

At the moment there's only 4 dealers in the UK so that is a downside although there is one less than 5 miles from me.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back