Piaggio MP3 500 and Easylifter Hydra-Trail advice please for prospective MHer!

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by davidcrossland, Dec 24, 2015.

1. davidcrossland

davidcrossland Funster

As caravanners getting older (almost 65 and the other one [censored]), we're now looking to buy our first motor home, maybe later this year, after we move back to "God's country" to spend our retirement.

My partner wants a big one, motor home, that is, as we have quite a nice spacious caravan at present.

However, I know that if we go that route then another set of wheels will be an essential and that's why I'm looking at a scooter. But not having passed my test I'll need one of those 3 wheelers, like the Piaggio MP3.

However, towing a trailer is something I'd rather avoid as that's one of the reason's for moving on from caravanning.

So, my question is: Has anyone got one of those great Piaggio MP3 500 scooters and maybe the Easylifter Hydra-Trail rack?

I'd really like to know your thoughts on either or both.

I need to get this bit sorted before we can progress with the motor home acquisition

2. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

There is one "trike" on here. He also does not have a bike licence and surprisingly he's survived so far. Do a bit of searching.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Scotties

Scotties Funster Life Member

The hydratrails ok for lightweight units but if I were you I'd go for a suitable motorcycle trailer with enough rails or small flat bed.

Like Jaws we took our Hydratrails back as it took three men to load a Bmw (250kg) motorcycle and Johns actually flexed and bent the tow bar rail.

We allways take a bike, as Forrestboy says 'four wheels move the body and two move the soul'.

Three wheels must come into the two wheel bracket.

• Like Like x 4
  4. TheTwoOfUs

TheTwoOfUs Funster

I have an MP3 and Hydratrail unit but as yet haven't used the Hydratrail due to having to change the towbar. I do however have a full bike licence (see avatar) and would strongly recommend that you have a test ride on an MP3 to make sure you are totally comfortable riding one.

• Like Like x 1
  5. South_Wales_Lady

South_Wales_Lady Funster

We've got an MP3 and initially had an Easylifter but it was so hard to get it onto it plus we didn't feel the MP3 was safe on it so we bought a side-loading trailer instead from CMF of Ross-on-Wye - http://www.cmftrailers.co.uk/ .

• Like Like x 1
  6. Charlie

Charlie Funster

The MP3 is an option we are still considering as transport for when we are away. Great machines and great stability. I too am interested in which trailers will work with the MP3 or it Peugeot equivalent the Metropolis.

I have held a full bike licence for 40 odd years so getting the hang of riding the MP3 is not a problem.

But hell are these things expensive ! Even a latish used one is 5K and up for the 500cc version and a trailer that was featured here on the forum this week is another 2K.... Sadly this makes a wee car on an A frame seem a cheap option..

Here is the link to that French trailer
    http://www.remorques-charnoud.fr/detail.php?ref=1800200&ph=&menu=tracty&page=camping_car

• Like Like x 2
  7. RowleyBirkinQC

RowleyBirkinQC Funster

I was admiring one of those French trailers at Honfleur earlier this year, in my limited opinion they look much more robust than the Easylifter equivalent.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Adrian1

Adrian1 Funster

Hi good luck finding a motorhome and have fun This year I passed motorbike test a carry a transalp 650 200kg on one of the easylifter units ok just takes practice did 900 miles towing. We have a swift sundance 630g that has a rear garage did carry a 125 hond in garage ok wife just wanted a bigger one (bike that is).There is other threads on site with photos of my unit with bike on back if you do go with hydalift ask to have the bracket lenghtend so it moves the bike away from the van that helped in strapping on.

9. Adrian1

Adrian1 Funster

Ps merry xmas

10. Adrian1

Adrian1 Funster

PPS Make sure heavy duty tow bar

11. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

As Scotty mentioned, for us the Hydra did not work.. And the chap actually made ours much heavier duty to carry our BMW GS's .
    I had a 4 inch square box section tow bar on the Miller and it actually twisted that ! ( and I only went round the block with a bike on it.. I had absolutely NO confidence to go farther )

They are a great bit of kit for lightweight machines but I really could not recommend them for anything more than say 150kg tops

• Like Like x 1
  12. davidcrossland

davidcrossland Funster

Happy Christmas everyone, thanks for your posts.

For the Tracty, Google translates the French to the following:

Deletes
    Excessive weight on the camper
    The deterioration of the suspension
    The premature tire wear
    The various facilities bringest the camper to strengthen the rear suspension, sentencing you 12 months of 12 is too hard suspension
    The risky maneuvers a reversing trailer

PLATFORM TRACTY MOTO HOLDER

Platform door ideal for motorcycle maneuvers

The advantages for the camper

Deletes
    Excessive weight on the camper
    The deterioration of the suspension
    The premature tire wear
    The various facilities bringest the camper to strengthen the rear suspension, sentencing you 12 months of 12 is too hard suspension
    The risky maneuvers a reversing trailer

Technical Features
    The platform carries motorcycle Tracty, is sold only to put al back of a camper. The fastening system is made of two classic trailer hooks on two ball joints fixed in camper. The platform is fully galvanized for perenniality in time. The hub incorporates wheels are mounted on their crowns allowing 360 degree rotation. The maximum speed is limited to 90km / h to remain in compliance with the Highway Code which sets the speed limit greater than 3.5T.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

My only real concern with the Tracty is that they use 10" wheels.
    I appreciate it is difficult to use larger ones but anything with 10" wheels do tend to get through bearings quite quickly.. The wheels are going round at a hellova a lick compared to the your van wheels !!

• Like Like x 2
  14. Charlie

Charlie Funster

What worries me is the very small wheels.. Look at the video in my link above ? When towing on the motorway they look as if they are struggling to cope.... There are one or two of those type of trailers that have two sets of twin wheels which would help if a tyre were to fail.

• Like Like x 1
  15. RowleyBirkinQC

RowleyBirkinQC Funster

I think the twin wheels would definitely be a better option, and it's a good point about bearings too. As my big KTM 1290SA is probably upwards of 240KG when fully wet, I don't think I'm in the market for one of these unless I get another significantly lighter bike specifically for the purpose of being lugged about...

• Like Like x 1
  16. MikeD

MikeD Funster

I have a hydra trail. I bought it second hand.

I have towed it around Spain twice with the mileage probably now approaching 8 thousand miles.

It carries my Vespa which weighs around 165kg.

The type approved tow bar has not failed, twisted or deformed. The tyres still have loads of tread.

I can't really fault mine, nothing has cracked or broken but I have now reinforced it where a friends cracked. He carries a bike that is probably around 200kg and I think drives a lot faster than me.

I am a bit of a plodder and hardly ever exceed more than 55 mph.

• Like Like x 1
  17. davidcrossland

davidcrossland Funster

18. TheTwoOfUs

TheTwoOfUs Funster

It says it's a standard ball hitch (2" US spec). I wouldn't fancy that weight hanging off the back of my car or motorhome.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

David have you actually ever ridden a bike? I can't tell from your query whether you just haven't taken a test, or if you've never ridden one at all. If not then the first thing I would do is get in touch with a rider training centre and arrange to be given a lesson there before committing to a large MH and bike set-up - you MIGHT not like riding a bike, not everyone does, and even those that do, don't like taking pillion passengers (I don't!).

Another thing to consider is the cost of the bike and insurance etc so you could consider a tow car instead (and trailer/a-frame depending on where you intend to take it) which would probably cost no more than a MP3 and trailer anyway and the insurance will be a fair bit less too I suspect.

• Like Like x 1
  20. funflair

funflair Funster Life Member

Hi @davidcrossland what about a couple of nice electric bikes in the garage rather than faffing about with a scooter on the back. A nice big motorhome is big enough already without sticking another metre behind it.

Or a big big motorhome and put a car in the back.

image.jpeg

Martin

• Like Like x 2