Photo highlights from a lazy blogger

Discussion in 'France' started by Granjan, Sep 17, 2015.

1. Granjan

Granjan Funster

Been back in the UK a couple of weeks now but been really manic. Wifi on our trip was at best torturous so decided to post the highlights on our return.

Only decided our route a few days before but decided to head to the South to hopefully max out on the sunshine and meet our tugger friends who have been in Italy. The only thing booked is the ferry, much as we love the simplicity and economy of the Tunnel I just didn't fancy any hassle / delay.

Travelled Portsmouth Caen to avoid Calais woes,overnight on the dock before an early sail. When we arrive I realise my first mistake my all the Aires book is back home! Never mind we head south for a few hours and find a lovely marketsquare to stay the night at Lussac Les Château, have a nice meal at a little cafe and remember it is our 27th Wedding Anniversay
    image.jpg

Peaceful night ... Bit hot but a super spot, shop in the morning market then head south. Stop for a lunch and walk at Rocamadour, would have stayed a night but it was too hot and humid to sight see so we take mental notes and return to the air conditioned cab vowing to return another day for a couple of nights.
    image.jpg

After another sticky night, south of Carcasonne, without hook up and next to a busy train line :worried: we leave early to try and reach Narbonne before the motorway can jam up with the Saturday in August masses.

We have no delays and have a good Sat Nav tour of Narbonne before finding a huge Carrefour full of motorhomes and caravans. Do a major shop (buying lots of wine and some cocktail mixers(y) ) book into our site just as it starts to rain. Being a bit shattered from the last couple of days we chill a bit before getting the bikes out.

First day out on the bikes disaster strikes, having cycled miles and miles down the Canal De La Robine to a pretty non descript Port La Nouvelle I have a rather spectacular blow out on the back wheel. After exploring various options we resort to taking a taxi ride to Decathalon in Narbonne I realise my comprehension of numbers in french is rubbish and instead of paying €17 euros I pay nearly €70 :Eeek: for the taxi plus €20 for a new tyre and €20 to a local quad bike shop who help us.

Anyway the bike is repaired and the ride home is very speedy on assist.
    image.jpg

image.jpg

Whilst waiting for my repair I look longingly at this
    image.jpg

But the next day on site we see a Cathargo with a smart car, they are stuck unable for some reason to close the motorhome garage door or load the car, I wonder how long / how much money that will take to fix and decide my blow out was cheap.

Next day we cycle to Gruissan, there is a large Aire right on the front there for future ref, lots of boats, restuarants etc etc, we really enjoy the ride and this beautiful seaside resort.
    image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like Like x 7
  2. Granjan

Granjan Funster

Next site near to Allegre Les Fumades, Gard dept, 4 nights, 3 days cycling, lots of lovely deserted Medieval villages, rivers to swim.
    image.jpg
    Wall sign near the village boules area
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg

Enjoyed a great night out at a local Vinyard/ farm/ "pop up" Auberge, about 25 campers excellent meal for 19 Euros, free transport and 12 reasonable priced and very drinkable bottles of wine for the next leg of our trip back south to St Raphael.
    Talked and drank too much to take any decent photos! Met some more lovely folk and hopeful of a winter wine delivery.

• Like Like x 9
  3. Granjan

Granjan Funster

St Raphael doesnt feel to be much busier than it was in June, plenty room on the pavements and beaches. Try Esterel camping, nice but expensive site, pretty noisy near the pool but lovely and peaceful areas of the site too overlooking the Esterel forests and peaks, wild boar visit the site at night.
    image.jpg

We visit Nice by train

image.jpg

image.jpg

Pick up an idea for next years trip!

image.jpg

image.jpg
    Grasse
    Sat in a deck chair to chill whilst they puff perfume in the air, but some women keep some funny things in their handbags that will necessitate the need for perfume.
    image.jpg
    image.jpg

• Like Like x 5
  4. Granjan

Granjan Funster

Best day trip was in our friends car to the Gorges Du Verdon .... WOW! Not for big motorhomes or the faint hearted but great views and a chance to use the Kayak

image.jpg

• Like Like x 7
  5. Carol

Carol Funster Life Member

It can be done, big overhangs but we spent a wonderful week in those crystal clear waters on a camp site right in the centre of the gorge, one day we could the jangle of bells from a long way away then down the gorge came a huge herd of goats some with great bells on their necks. I'll never forget that holiday, thanks for bringing back the memory.

• Like Like x 2
  6. scousebird

scousebird Funster

Lovely pics. Looks like you enjoyed yourselves

7. Granjan

Granjan Funster

image.jpg

It says "The End" and "RIP" at the bottom, and they lower you down rather than pull you back up ......... Not for me!
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    Loved this lots of canoes, cliff top jumping.
    image.jpg
    Hairy scary drive back!
    image.jpg

• Like Like x 9
  8. Granjan

Granjan Funster

Yep had a great time thanks, missed most things on the forum though, anything good happen?
    I think most of you have been away too!

9. Granjan

Granjan Funster

I would love to have stayed longer like you, think we might be Ok going to the Lake maybe from the west side.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Granjan

Granjan Funster

Sorry its not a very interactive Blog like Mousy's ! But hope it inspires others as well as bringing back those happy memories. Must be half way through the trip now so I will keep going then I can put this and myself to bed!

Bit of Toll congestion, but everyone pretty patient, chap infront sat on his doorstep having a fag .... Poser !
    image.jpg

Next move to Sommiers, site nicely located on a cycle path but some of the pitches had pretty poor drainage

image.jpg

Disgusted really site knew these pitches flooded! 2 people died same day in floodwater in Montpellier.:(

Sommiere a lovely town,
    image.jpg

image.jpg
    evening food market .... Snails, onion bhaji, seafood, snails wine etc etc etc, live music image.jpg

image.jpg

Day trip to Aigues-Mortes thanks to Mousey / Gers for the view from the top of the walls, we were too busy shopping, didn't see any erotica!

image.jpg

image.jpg

Another place with 3 Aires for motorhomes and a great stop over place.

• Like Like x 6
  11. Granjan

Granjan Funster

A repeat visit to see the Flamingo's at the nature reserve so our friends could see them too
    image.jpg

Then last day in Nimes and the Amphitheatre.

image.jpg
    image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Before we head north again via Millau
    image.jpg

We have 3 nights Sleep, 2 days more cycling and a few last Peach Marguerites in Saumur before heading to Caen and the pain that is English roads!

image.jpg

• Like Like x 9
  12. big map

big map Funster Life Member

Hi Jan
    Thank you for sharing your holiday pics with us. We went to nimes amphitheatre too image.jpg

• Like Like x 6
  13. rb62

rb62 Funster

Thanks for the photos everybody,bring back some wonderful memories of our holidays to France over the last 30! years.(y)

The thread title could have been..

Why we go to France :)

• Like Like x 1
  14. big map

big map Funster Life Member

@Granjan I wonder if we were there at the same time? We were there on the 8th September 2015

15. Granjan

Granjan Funster

We came home Sept 2nd, 27 nights ... just nice length of time for us. So much more to see down there, think we will be drawn back again and again. :france:

• Like Like x 3