Perhaps a bit too chunky?

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by Lot lover, Jun 1, 2016.

1. Lot lover

Lot lover Funster

In common (I am sure) with many of the men on this forum I am worried about weight. Therefore I have found the local weighbridge, unmanned, no instructions just slots for a swipe card and coins. Before commencing the Great Trek in 10 days time I plan to load up the MH with all the "stuff" piled in our salon and if (who am I kidding?) when I find that we are OTT will decide what to unload to get down to the allowed level.

To me this seemed simpler than starting out naked and building up.

Am I worrying unnecessarily about being checked by the men with guns or does this really happen?

2. Forestboy

Forestboy Funster Life Member

No makes sense.
    We have a 5tonne van with approx 1300kgs payload but still check it at local weighbridge once a year. Usually find it has crept up each time which then means its time to spring clean and chuck out all the stuff we don't need.
    Did the spring clean last week just need to do a check weigh before we head off next week.

• Like Like x 2
  3. flatpackchicken

flatpackchicken Funster Life Member

Very important to ensure you are 100% legal at all times, as your life may depend on it, as if you overload the vehicle your brakes become less efficient and can become dangerously under efficient. This is the worst scenario, but if you are overloaded either on your gross weight, or separate axle weights, your insurance can be seriously in jeopardy if you have an accident whether its your fault or not. Best to be on the right side for your own safety and that of other road users as well, as others wont be to happy if you crash into the back of another vehicle because your brakes are insufficient to stop you in an emergency because you are overloaded and you hurt someone or worse!!!!!!!!!!!
    Make sure you include all your stuff, and food, and full water tanks ( x 2 fresh and grey + cassette) and full gas bottles to as well as full fuel tank, this way you will be at the max that you will ever be. Best of luck. Regards Garry Flatpackchicken

• Like Like x 2
  4. CWH

CWH Funster Life Member

Weight limit laws aren't just for fun :oops:
    They're for safety :)
    Whether you (or I, or anyone else for that matter) agree with them or not :rolleyes:(y)

• Like Like x 5
  5. Tootles

Tootles Funster

Well, there are plenty of 'itinerants' mincing around the roads with overweight pick up truck pulling very large caravans. They never seem to get stopped for anything. Are weight stop checks selective? o_O

• Like Like x 2
  6. CWH

CWH Funster Life Member

Seems like they might be...

• Like Like x 3
  7. mick noe

mick noe Funster

well we are off to France (Hopefully) or Germany or somewhere on the 9th of June, so this Saturday its off to the weighbridge in full travelling trim Scooter in garage etc. as I do every year just to reassure myself that its under 3500 kg (with a little left for a litre of wine or 100 ) weighing gives me peace of mind for the trips. We do travel as light as possible even take tv out for euro trips but take everything we Need, but no more, always been ok................so far.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Charlie - Minton

Charlie - Minton Funster

Probably a lot lighter after they've dumped 3 settees a load of Tarmac & a few tree trunks in a picturesque beauty spot?

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. Speve

Speve Funster

Yes overnight they've just left a dumpy bag full of rubbish and an old mattress in a lay-by just up. The road from us.