Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy
In common (I am sure) with many of the men on this forum I am worried about weight. Therefore I have found the local weighbridge, unmanned, no instructions just slots for a swipe card and coins. Before commencing the Great Trek in 10 days time I plan to load up the MH with all the "stuff" piled in our salon and if (who am I kidding?) when I find that we are OTT will decide what to unload to get down to the allowed level.

To me this seemed simpler than starting out naked and building up.

Am I worrying unnecessarily about being checked by the men with guns or does this really happen?

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
No makes sense.
We have a 5tonne van with approx 1300kgs payload but still check it at local weighbridge once a year. Usually find it has crept up each time which then means its time to spring clean and chuck out all the stuff we don't need.
Did the spring clean last week just need to do a check weigh before we head off next week.

Upvote 0

flatpackchicken

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2010
BICESTER OXFORDSHIRE
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia I8000
Exp
Since nov 2009
Very important to ensure you are 100% legal at all times, as your life may depend on it, as if you overload the vehicle your brakes become less efficient and can become dangerously under efficient. This is the worst scenario, but if you are overloaded either on your gross weight, or separate axle weights, your insurance can be seriously in jeopardy if you have an accident whether its your fault or not. Best to be on the right side for your own safety and that of other road users as well, as others wont be to happy if you crash into the back of another vehicle because your brakes are insufficient to stop you in an emergency because you are overloaded and you hurt someone or worse!!!!!!!!!!!
Make sure you include all your stuff, and food, and full water tanks ( x 2 fresh and grey + cassette) and full gas bottles to as well as full fuel tank, this way you will be at the max that you will ever be. Best of luck. Regards Garry Flatpackchicken

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Weight limit laws aren't just for fun :oops:
They're for safety :)
Whether you (or I, or anyone else for that matter) agree with them or not :rolleyes:(y)
Well, there are plenty of 'itinerants' mincing around the roads with overweight pick up truck pulling very large caravans. They never seem to get stopped for anything. Are weight stop checks selective? o_O

Upvote 0

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Well, there are plenty of 'itinerants' mincing around the roads with overweight pick up truck pulling very large caravans. They never seem to get stopped for anything. Are weight stop checks selective? o_O
Seems like they might be...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

mick noe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Apr 14, 2009
near Boston Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
low line
Exp
well we are off to France (Hopefully) or Germany or somewhere on the 9th of June, so this Saturday its off to the weighbridge in full travelling trim Scooter in garage etc. as I do every year just to reassure myself that its under 3500 kg (with a little left for a litre of wine or 100 ) weighing gives me peace of mind for the trips. We do travel as light as possible even take tv out for euro trips but take everything we Need, but no more, always been ok................so far.

Upvote 0
Dec 4, 2014
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Been around the block a few timesšŸ˜‰
Probably a lot lighter after they've dumped 3 settees a load of Tarmac & a few tree trunks in a picturesque beauty spot?

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Yes overnight they've just left a dumpy bag full of rubbish and an old mattress in a lay-by just up. The road from us.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back