Parking your motorhome at supermarkets when shopping - fines,? (1 Viewer)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Parking within lines is possible with a 7mt van if there is a verge to hang over.. a corner space is ideal ..

I was careful to keep to the right hand side , so not blocking the access to the space on the left ..

Lidl car park

2974.jpegIMG_1604.jpegIMG_1605.jpeg

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
You can fit width ways in most motorhomes in parking spaces but no one will be able to park next to you. Or if they do you/them would not be able to access the vehicle!
Indeed... that's why I said PVC..
Back to your original post...
Why were the barriers there? Surely they would put them up to block off the whole area.. not leave half slots...
It's as if they deliberately done so, so people would park as you did so they could give you a parking tickets.
As said before... Bullies

hja

May 8, 2020
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit Prim
Exp
Since 2019
Our local Sainsbury’s there are no problems parking a Motorhome, at least I assume not as frequently see motorhomes parked there taking to bays. Seen other vehicles eg car and trailer similarly parked. I think here is a three hour limit. That is more to do with the proximity of the station than anything else. There are also an increasing number of supermarkets, especially Tesco who allow overnight parking. There is usually a small sign somewhere, and I think you are supposed to phone a particular number. Darren the urban motorhomer did part of a blog on this, and using the electric charge point at night.

Mar 7, 2022
Funster No
MH
Hobby Optima T70 HQ
I'm not sure I have ever parked somewhere where there aren't plenty of spaces. I normally parked as far away from the shop entrance as possible so usually there is lots of space (most people don't like to have to walk). I;m not sure the depriving of revenue is an argument. I reckon most motorhomers on a trip will probably spend quite a bit and it is common to see someone one in a car pop in for a pint of milk!

As fpr sogn posts. In this particuar case the sign post is just near the entrance to the store about 80 metres from where I parked. So certainly could not see it when parking and wouldn't normally be looking when walking through the store entrance.

Anyway - spoke to the store manager. Very sympathetic, says they will mover the barriers more across the spaces and maybe put a sign. sadly says he cannot take any action to stop it himself.
I only park in supermarket car parks as a customer and when there is plenty of space. I drive on if busy. As an aside i have seen one or two supermarket car parks with a 3500kg limit.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
I parked at Cheshire oaks once for 15 mins seen the parky pass me as I got out and walked away he gave me a "hi"
I was in the MH so had to take up 4 spaces,
came back and he had tickets me, on a car park of probably 2000 spaces with about 300 cars on, and no one on my section'

its a job

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
You can fit width ways in most motorhomes in parking spaces but no one will be able to park next to you. Or if they do you/them would not be able to access the vehicle!
I try where possible to stick my overhang over a grass verge or whatever. Not at Tesco though as I can't stick the shop.

OP
OP
VXman
Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
Indeed... that's why I said PVC..
Back to your original post...
Why were the barriers there? Surely they would put them up to block off the whole area.. not leave half slots...
It's as if they deliberately done so, so people would park as you did so they could give you a parking tickets.
As said before... Bullies

One of their massive halogen light poles had been taken down. They have laid it along a length of parking spaces on the inside and then put barriers alongside. So it makes the parking spaces a couple of feet shorter than normal. They should have just blocked the whole section off.

Jul 10, 2017
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
IMG_0107.jpeg
How on earth do you deduce that??? the red car is me - you cannot see the rest of the car park!

The other photo is a random member of the public today when I went back to look. Again you can only see the restricted places with the red barriers in the way.
Did you not see the “ no lego parking “ sign ? 😂😂😂

May 14, 2021
East Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
ADRIA Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2012
Unfortunately re parking anywhere it appears the rules are the rules and if you park outside the marked bay you are liable, regardless of what you are parking, and you’re not parked as you should. Not just private places but council car parks too. We all know there are signs somewhere so best going to find them as rules do vary.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I am parked between the lines, it’s just that the lines are the wrong way. 😂
View attachment 884703

If the sign says 'Park within the lines[plural] you have complied.

If it says park within a bay you could be in breach.

If all S/Market CPs start to say 'within 1 bay' where will we shop?

Shall we call up the S/Market Mgr for dispensation?

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
Parking within lines is possible with a 7mt van if there is a verge to hang over.. a corner space is ideal ..

I was careful to keep to the right hand side , so not blocking the access to the space on the left ..

Lidl car park

View attachment 884677View attachment 884678View attachment 884679
Sefton Council have even stopped this now in Southport.was quite common for 8 or more vans to overhang onto the grass verge for years we were all happy and even 2 marked bays as long as paid 2x £4.50 tickets ...
Not any more

Jan 28, 2016
Stockport, Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bravaria i740 AClass
Surely if you park in two bays parallel to the lines and within the lines and pay for two tickets you aren’t breaking the rules.
I can sort of understand if you park across the lines you are breaking rules although i dont agree with it all.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Surely if you park in two bays parallel to the lines and within the lines and pay for two tickets you aren’t breaking the rules.
Not necessarily ..
some car parks do not allow using two bays whether you buy two tickets or not

possible reason being... see next post >>

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Another point that has not been mentioned is the designed load limit of the particular carpark.. and why some may ban motorhomes...

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2013
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact
Exp
Since 2013
Another point that has not been mentioned is the designed load limit of the particular carpark.. and why some may ban motorhomes

The imposed loading for the parking areas and ramps in car parks is given in BS EN 1991-1-1[3] with its National Annex[4]. For a normal mix of vehicles, taking the maximum weight of any vehicle as 2500kg, the imposed uniformly distributed load given in BS EN 1991[3] is 2.5kN/m2.

Isn't that for multi storey where you wouldn't take a motorhome? How are they going to regulate when most drivers have been forced to use much heavier electric cars, they weight limits will be excluded so will they reduce the number of vehicles allowed?

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
Another point that has not been mentioned is the designed load limit of the particular carpark.. and why some may ban motorhomes...

The imposed loading for the parking areas and ramps in car parks is given in BS EN 1991-1-1[3] with its National Annex[4]. For a normal mix of vehicles, taking the maximum weight of any vehicle as 2500kg, the imposed uniformly distributed load given in BS EN 1991[3] is 2.5kN/m2.

Is that not more for multistory carparks...
Which, if so, IME have fairly low height barriers..

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
We were parked lengthways in four bays last weekend. I did wonder about a ticket for not parking within marked bays and my reply would have been....I did park within marked bays, all four of them. Where am I outside a marked bay? Goodnight.
Claim you are parked within marked bays. It doesn't say how many!

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Isn't that for multi storey where you wouldn't take a motorhome? How are they going to regulate when most drivers have been forced to use much heavier electric cars, they weight limits will be excluded so will they reduce the number of vehicles allowed?

all roads, car parks etc have a design load..

Mar 7, 2022
Funster No
MH
Hobby Optima T70 HQ
See my earlier post about 3500kg limits I've seen at one or two supermarket car parks. Not multistorey.

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
The second largest public carpark in Dereham used to have a weight restriction of 30cwt (I don't know when that was introduced nor why nor if it was ever enforced). When the Market Place closed for renovation, the carpark was used without any problems by 7.5T trucks :( .

I don't know if there are any weight limits now BUT it was resurfaced a couple of months ago.

Gordon

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Other owners of flats and houses having same problems but only since CPM were given a contract by the management ,,,,there was a consultation and vote but some how no homeowners were allowed to vote or contribute to the consultation which in itself is illegal ......
if a parking or debt company send out more then 4 letters or communications over a 3 month period , that is considered harassment,,, not only that they never answer phones or acknowledge letters even special delivery , thats frowned upon when it reaches court ,,, these companies are bullies . 2 people have had their cars clamped by CPM which is also illegal , police were called and told CPM its in breach of the contract , they refused to come out immediately , so a couple of us got our angle grinders out ,, it was hilarious .. that was last August ,, i moved out in October ,,to my new house .

Clamping a vehicle on private land (unless there is a gate to control access) has been a criminal offence under the Protection of Freedoms Act in England and Wales since about 2012. The Police should have investigated this crime, and CPM and its goons should have been prosecuted.

Where I lived on a new estate, the residents became cheesed off and militant, took over control of the management company via an AGM, appointed their own Directors, and kicked out the fraudulent money-grabbing Managing Agents who had been appointed by the developers. I know for a fact these Agents produced ficticious annual Accounts that included an expenditure item for lift maintenance. Not a single lift existed anywhere across the whole estate even in the only block of flats. Utter cowboys.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
I can sort of understand if you park across the lines you are breaking rules although i dont agree with it all.

If I go to Shrewbury no issues, free ( allowed ) overnight parking. Daytime parking, Over hanging 2 bays then but 2 tickets. Sorted.
Southport ( Sefon council) as confimed in an email from them not allowed. :(
So I know where i will spend my money (y)

"I would advise that unfortunately, we do not allow the motorhomes to park over two bays. If the vehicle does not fit wholly within one bay, I am afraid you will be required to find alternative parking within the area.
I regret this may not be the response you had hoped for.

Yours sincerely,

Parking Services "

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Back on topic my Sainsburys superstore is on a retail park where the main parking area (3 hour limit) is shared by other stores. Originally it had a height barrier but that got vandalised and disappeared. The car park is used by a lot of commercial vans and light trucks (customers who shop at Sainsburys) as well as a few motorhomes including my PVC. Never been ticketed for not being entirely within the marked bay which is standard 2.4m x 4.8m. Even my 5.4m van will always overhang at one or both ends. Backing onto a grass verge doesn't alter that fact.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back